New (for me) discovery for hunting in idaho.

Deja vu

I always thought all game birds had to be hunting with a shotgun. During Elk/Deer (yeah I dont always shoot them from my porch) season we frequently see forest grouse near our camp. We do not shoot them (even though they look tasty) because we do not want loud shooting of shotguns around where we camp.

Any way I just discovered that you can shoot them with a 22lr. I have a suppressed 22lr that would be perfect for this job. I know hunting season is a long ways off but for some reason I have been thinking about hunting the past few days.

usually those of us that do not get a tag end up staying at camp. Shooting Forrest grouse may be a good past time.

I've been thinking about hunting since the week after Rabbit went out :D

I'll forget when it's warm enough to rell in the crappi and cats :rolleyes:

Still such a odd thing for me to hear "hunting" and "suppressor" in the same sentence.......Indiana :confused::p:rolleyes:

usually those of us that do not get a tag end up staying at camp. Shooting Forrest grouse may be a good past time.
My family used to avoid shooting grouse (Utah) while hunting big game, even when it was legal to do so with your hunting rifle. But, over the last 5 years, or so, we've really embraced the philosophy, "If it's in season, it's dinner!"

Since Utah's laws change during big game seasons, you can only take them legally with a shot shell in a legal firearm during 'rifle' season. (1/2-1-1/8(?) oz #4-#8 shot for pistols/rifles .35 caliber or larger, and 10 ga to .410 bore shotguns.)

Now, at least one of us brings a shotgun along every year. And all of us keep (legal) shot shells on hand for our revolvers, if we're carrying them (.41 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt). We see just as many Deer and Elk on the days that we're shooting chickens and rabbits, as the days that we're quiet.

Last year, the Elk hunting was so bad that several of us started hunting chickens. If we ran into Elk, so be it; but pine chickens were the primary target.
In those circumstances, I like to carry my .444 Marlin. I can use .410 loads in .444 brass, while still having full capability for popping an Elk (versus being handicapped by slugs in a shotgun). And the ".444-410" has much more reach than the .41/.44/.45 shot shells out of 4-5/8" to 7.5" barrels.

Now that I'm in Idaho...
A rimfire may very well be the weapon of choice.

Just beware. Ruffle grouse drop with anything. Blue grouse usually require mini mags or other high velocity 22lr round from a carbine length barrel... that said the last few ive eaten were with buck and ball loads from a 45/70

Might be illegal in Idaho taking any game animal with a suppressor equipped weapon. It is illegal in this State.

If grouse season is open and you have a valid license to hunt them. I don't see a problem. If you don't have a valid license. Or the grouse season is closed and still hunting/taking of. The word poaching comes to mind.

its fine to use a silencer to hunt game animals in Idaho. I took a deer Just last year with a suppressed 45-70.

Is it legal to hunt with a suppressor in Idaho? (Idaho Fish and Game):
It is legal to hunt in Idaho with a suppressor. Keep in mind that there is a federal permit required to possess a suppressor in Idaho and the weight of your weapon must stay under 16 lbs.

Those unfamiliar with Idaho's history may laugh at the "16 lb" limit, but it was implemented to prevent idiots with .50 BMGs from wounding dozens of animals from long range, due to a lack of real long-range skill. (It was a reactive measure, not proactive. :() I only bring it up, since the Fish and Game decided to include the reference in their answer and it usually draws some questions on TFL.

Yeah the 16LBS things mostly just effects 50BMGs and such. There are Idaho legal 50BMG Rifles out there but they are usually pretty bare bones. I have always thought a 50BMG with a holographic sight and a 16-20 inch barrel would be pretty fun.

:eek:

I see plenty of grouse while deer hunting also. Go back to the same place later in the season with the dog and SxS and all I see is deer.

Don't forget archery equipment. Flinging bird arrows at them is very fun. It can be an exercise in frustration if you're not on your game, but it is a lot of fun when you connect.

Last deer season, a grouse succumbed to an offhand head shot from my .270 Win, at 35+/- yards as it walked away from me on a snowmobile trail. That's farther than any I've shot before.

I was surprised when it walked out onto the trail as I was walking along. It turned away and kept walking. I took careful aim and tried to time the shot when the head was in a relatively steady position. They tend to bob their heads as they walk, so it surprised me when I got it.

The handload used is available, but it really doesn't make any difference in this case, does it?

Here in Tx I shoot grouse with a slingshot at 100 yrds during Jackalope season. We are using 400 grn minnies and they shoot flat. I'm only holding 3 inches high at 100. I took two with one shot last year. Hit one in the head and ricocheted into the others head. The second shot lodged in the beak choking him. He ran around in circles so I had to finish him off with an arrow as I was out of Minnie balls. I threw it at him with a Swahili launcher and hit him right in the breast. Makes for some good eatin when the jackalopes are too high up in the mesquite trees to see.;)
I wish we had grouse here, probably the best game bird I've ever had.
Sorry for the story, it was all in jealousy lol

Last edited:
just make sure you shoot grouse and not a sage hen, as they are 'threatened'.

I hunt in Idaho and if I have had a day where I have not killed an elk or deer, I usually kill a grouse on my way back to camp...yummy.

I've popped off a few Rough Grouse while deer hunting with a 30-30. It's a hell of a test of skill at times. One morning I shot two and was having a great day. Quickly ran them back to the house since I was only about 5 minutes away.

I didn't see any bucks that day but my blind was 2 miles away so the shots probably didn't affect that. And my dad shot an 8 point 1/2 mile through the woods from my blind.

Got home and the grouse were ready for lunch.

The 16 pound rule came about after a group of several hunters with 50 BMG rifles dropped 7 cow elk. They were perfectly legal at the time, but it took over an hour to get to where the animals were, three had to be shot again when they got to them. The fish and game were watching the whole time and decided to bring this issue up for a vote with the board. I happen to agree with it, I lived there at the time this rule came about and was good friends with the local game warden. It wont stop wounding or loss of animals, but most people wont shoot at 1300 yards with their '06, the range on those elk was from 1200-1500 yards.

Back