New Finnish Toy

ligonierbill

I picked up a new to me Sako AIII in .338 Win Mag today, my second 338. The other is a stainless Savage 116, and one of them is heading to Africa next year (previous discussion). The Savage shoots well enough, but I really couldn't see the black plastic and stainless, weatherproof though it is. So I got some camo paint and fixed that. I guess I would say, now it looks ugly on purpose. But I want to try something prettier, and the Sako does seem to fit me better. We will see how she shoots this week.

One question for the forum. The Sako came with a Redfield 3-9X scope. It looks clear, but it is probably the same vintage as the rifle, 1981. The Savage mounts a more modern Leupold VX3 2.5-8X. Upgrade the Sako? I'm thinking yes. I like a little less magnification, and the PH is talking 200 m shooting distance. And of course, the cost of a new scope is negligible relative to an African hunt. What would you buy?

Maybe I spoke too poorly of the Savage. If I get back out West or maybe to Alaska, where ugly weather and worse terrain are likely, the old ugly will be the choice.

Back