New family member for me

OhioGuy

Well, I made the choice to get the Kimber K6s DA/SA 3" barrel.

It's just too pretty to pass up, and at a time when damn near everything is sold out everywhere and almost unobtainable, my local Cabela's just happened to have exactly the one I wanted in the case :) It was the display gun so they knocked 5% off the price too. Still not a wise financial decision, but who cares? It's a Kimber!

No pictures, because the NICS system "went down" earlier today and we couldn't complete the check, but it should hopefully be home with me soon. I'll post a photo, as if mine won't look exactly like all the pics you can already find on Google!

Nice! Congratulations. I like the 3" size. It's kind of a do everything gun. I was thinking about a model 60 but now I may look at Kimber too.

I know you probably love the look of the wood grips, but keep these in mind when you want to shoot the hottest loads. They really tame the recoil by wrapping around the backstrap.
I think the hammered version of the 3 incher looks much better than the hammerless one.
To me the hammerless 3" looks unbalanced and dorkey.
attachment.php

I know you probably love the look of the wood grips, but keep these in mind when you want to shoot the hottest loads. They really tame the recoil by wrapping around the backstrap.
I think the hammered version of the 3 incher looks much better than the hammerless one.
To me the hammerless 3" looks unbalanced and dorkey.
attachment.php
Yeah, the wood is sexy but I know I'll want something more cushioned, thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
I ground my down considerably on the sides so it is not as fat, and now conceals better. They are not easy to get off once you have them on. One piece without a slit on the back so you have to work to spread them enough to slide off.

I keep seeing this reference to hammerless vs hammer in revolvers. I’ve never heard of a hammerless revolver, is this some new development? Do they use some form of a striker in place of a hammer?

Now if I could just find some .38sp and .357 mag ammo anywhere at all...

Let me be the 387th person on this site to extoll the virtues of reloading...

Nah, it's not for everyone but lots of folk (like me) enjoy it and the .357 mag is a very easy, IMhO, cartridge to load. Plus I get to load really mild .357 rounds so I don't bother with shooting .38 special rounds out of a .357 magnum gun and don't have to mess with the .38 special carbon ring in the cylinder interfering with loading .357 magnum length rounds.

If I had it to do all over again I would've got one of the really nice turret presses and been WAY more efficient in reloading over my single stage press and might never have moved to a progressive press at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkvPUTxK28Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMx5MeyemDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HyWtIKVJSE

Ah, I see now. You’re just referring to a shrouded hammer vs. an exposed hammer. Just beginning to think I’d missed something new. I will say if I ever did get a revolver with a shrouded hammer it would be the Kimber, it’s the only one I’ve seen that’s not butt ugly.

I have the 2" version.

After approx 350 rounds the firing pin broke. No shootie.

Kimber got it back to me very quickly witha complete firing pin assembly replacement.

Put a Controlled Core grip on it. I now have over 3,000 rounds of mostly 357 magnum and she has become a dream.

From a throw it in the trash gun it has become my second favorite revolver.

Exceptional trigger and very accurate for me out to 15 yards.

Ah, I see now. You’re just referring to a shrouded hammer vs. an exposed hammer. Just beginning to think I’d missed something new. I will say if I ever did get a revolver with a shrouded hammer it would be the Kimber, it’s the only one I’ve seen that’s not butt ugly.
Seriously? You never heard the term before?
Hmmm.

It's (the term "hammerless") been around for well over 100 years.
S&W had their Safety Hammerless model back in 18- something (google it)
Ithaca had a SxS internal lock shotgun marked "Hammerless".

As far as "Ugly" goes - there's always the "Fitz Special" - so fugly it's a thing of beauty.

(I'm am still debating over having my SW M69 snub getting that treatment).

I have the 2" version.

After approx 350 rounds the firing pin broke. No shootie.

Kimber got it back to me very quickly witha complete firing pin assembly replacement.

Put a Controlled Core grip on it. I now have over 3,000 rounds of mostly 357 magnum and she has become a dream.

From a throw it in the trash gun it has become my second favorite revolver.

Exceptional trigger and very accurate for me out to 15 yards.
I ran my first 50 rounds of .38 through it yesterday. The DA trigger is phenomenal and I mostly had very little trouble keeping things in pretty tight groups. I had a handful of flyers that will work themselves out over time with more practice and a lot of dry firing. I really want to replace the front sight so it's easier to see, but I'll start with some neon paint over the white dot. I certainly hope mine doesn't break at 300 rounds! Although with the ammo shortage it may be a very long time before I reach that number :( I can't find .357 anywhere lately but I look forward to shooting it.

I mostly shoot semi-autos and I've been shooting with a red dot for so long now that it's awkward shooting with iron sights again!

Now that you mention it I do recall the Safety Hammerless model, other than that I’ve always heard the term shrouded vs. exposed. But this gun did actually have a shrouded hammer, so technically it was not ‘Hammerless’. So I guess even though it’s literally an incorrect term, it’s understood with revolvers to mean a shrouded hammer. Well, ya learn something new everyday if your paying attention.

Last edited:
So I guess even though it’s literally an incorrect term, it’s understood with revolvers to mean a shrouded hammer.
Well - that's not unusual when marketing comes into play.
A "magnum" is a large bottle of wine.
Holland and Holland, back in 1912, decided it would make a new catchy name for their new belted cartridges - something that would set them apart from the name - Express.

I see other terms used as well. S&W uses the term enclosed, others use SA only. I’ve been shooting revolvers for about 40 years and still learning things.

Ohioguy,

Mine was a display model and probably had many folks dry firing it.

Dry firing and the original firing pin assembly being sub par is probably why my gun had its initial problems.

Just and FYI to keep an eye on it if it is a year or two old model.

My manual said not to dry fire it but I do not know if that pertains to the late 3" models.

You will enjoy the K6S.

And I just put the Hogue Bantam rubber monogrip on my 2" and it improved by a lot the recoil mitigation over the Controlled Core grip I took off.

Ohioguy,

Mine was a display model and probably had many folks dry firing it.

Dry firing and the original firing pin assembly being sub par is probably why my gun had its initial problems.

Just and FYI to keep an eye on it if it is a year or two old model.

My manual said not to dry fire it but I do not know if that pertains to the late 3" models.

You will enjoy the K6S.

And I just put the Hogue Bantam rubber monogrip on my 2" and it improved by a lot the recoil mitigation over the Controlled Core grip I took off.
Thanks! Cabelas and Bass Pro have a (stupid) policy of not allowing anyone to dry fire display guns, because they all have trigger locks installed that they will not remove unless you buy the gun. The explanation is that someone in a Bass Pro several years ago had taken a round out of a box of ammo, then asked to see a display model, loaded it with the round and shot himself. (It's what the guy at the counter told me anyway).

The good news is that I should have been the first (or among the first) to dry fire it. Hopefully anyway. I've already put around 300 rounds through it, probably 70 of them are .357 and it's been fine.

I ordered some Control Core grips from Kimber to see how those work. I like the wood grips but they definitely slip up through my hand when firing the heavy stuff. I thankfully found a good leather holster that works well for IWB carry too, from Relentless Tactical

Back