New England Firearms Pardner review

Big Tom

Ok, I gotta say I loved the price of this gun at 119! Ya, and in DE we dont have sales tax so thats another added bonus. I got this gun in 12 gauge. The Pardener has a solid feel, and has the looks of a classic shotgun from the wild west. Oh man was it a fun gun to use. It has a little more kick than I expected, but it didnt even matter. I love this gun, from looks, to feel, to quality. I recommend this gun and you should find for as low as $115 to about as high as $132, but I would not pay that price (not that it isnt worth it) when you know you can get it for atleast 10-12 dollars cheaper. So ya, if you dont have one or if you are looking for an affordable addition to you gun collection, I would highly recommend this gun...

good hunting to ya!

Big Tom

I agree with you Big Tom. The Pardner/Topper is a very good gun for the money. Nothing fancy there certainly, just a solid, reliable shotgun. You really cannot go wrong for $125 +/-. I have almost 20 pump guns...870s, 590s, 37s, 12s, 1200s, a 31, a BPS, etc. But none are a better value than the Pardner, IMO.

Congrats!

Just about all I use are H&R/NEF singleshot rifles and shotguns. You really cant beat them bang-for-buck.

I've got the following in BEF/H&R flavor.

45-70 22" Handi
45-70 32" BC
45-120(was 45-70) 32" BC
30-30 Handi
22 Hornet Handi
.225Win (was 22 Hornet)
.223Rem "Improved" 24" ultra varmint (30 degree Ackley without the .004" crush fit setback)
25-06 "Improved" 26" (without Ackley crush fit)
.357mag reamed to maximum
.44mag reamed to .445super mag
12ga 28" Mod choke
20ga 26" Mod choke
28ga 26" Mod choke
.410 26" full choke

Big Tom - A friend gave me one as a gift one day...a 28 inch modified choked Pardner. I now have, uh, several of them in various form. I love 'em.

I've used a 12ga rifled barrel version with open sights, called the Partner II, in my state's shotgun-only deer season for many years.

$100 OTD, weighs 5lbs (maybe), and accurate - what's NOT to like ?

I am looking to get one in 10 ga.

It's a hoss of a gun and the sole reason to get one is because I want someting BIG.:D

I have a .410 in a Topper model that is just a sweet little gun and fits my petite wife very well.

A walnut and blued 10 ga. is next on my list.:)

Another remark:
I have, in prevoius posts, reccomended that folks buy a domestic offering if that is their choice and I love my Mossbergs and Remingtons.

The fact that we have an alternative with imported firearms is a plus for prospective firearms owners and gets people in the sport.:D

^ The H&R Pardner/Topper single shot shotguns and the H&R Handi Rifles are all made in Ilion, N.Y., the old Remington Arms plant. Production moved there in 2008 from the Gardner, MA. plant, now closed. The NEF Pardner Pump and NEF Excell Auto are the only imported guns. H&R is owned by Marlin > Marlin is owned by Remington.

I have a 12 gauge single shot I had cut down to 18.5" barrel. Man what a nice gun for the money, it really is a sweet little shooter. Lightweight, compact as you can get without a tax stamp, and rugged and reliable. Everyone should have one.

I have a few of these and I love them!

I've got a , .410, 20, 12, and a 10 gauge. You wanna talk about kick try the 10, its a killer on the shoulder. Even weighted at 9lbs its an animal :eek:

I have a 12 ga that was the first shotgun I ever bought. It was cheap and I could hunt anything I could get to with it. A lot of gun for the money, although there is an abundance of high quality used single shots on the market.

i own and use several single shotguns, the top shotgun is my favorit run and gun turkey shotgun. its a H&R 12ga TDC with vent rib and choke tubes,got it on a close out for 129.00 several years ago. eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 2133.jpg
    Picture 2133.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 45
I had a handi rifle in .243. It would be accurate for the first shot then needed at least a half hour to cool back down and hit where you wanted it to for a second shot. Worst barrel on a rifle I have ever encountered. Sold as quick as I could.

Very good guns. No way I would buy a 10 ga. though. I'm not particularly recoil sensetive, but I've shot one and you could drive fence posts with that thing.:eek:

I have a standard 20 gauge pardner single shot, and a 12 gauge TDC like eastbank mentioned.

I put a Choate conventional stock and forend on the TDC, which dropped it from about 6.2 pounds to 5.5 pounds. The Choate stock is a little longer and has a little more heel drop, which I like. The Choate grip is trimmer and less blocky on the bottom, which I also like.

I wouldn't want such a light 12 gauge for extended target shooting (even though the recoil pad on the stock is pretty decent), but it fits well, handles well, and is pleasant to carry when upland hunting.

Back