New England Arms Pardner (Cheeeeap gun)

• Thread starter Thread starter KilgorII
  • Start date Start date
K

KilgorII

You know the gun in the case at Walmart with the really funky looking blueing job? The single shot 12 gauge? Price :$78.00

Up to this point I have turned my nose up at it. I never even asked to look at it. Well a friend of mine bought one to knock around in the woods with because he didn't want to scratch up his nice Browning semiauto. We went out shooting clays. I being the cocky guy I am say that being as how he only has one shot, I'll take the bird out with my Remington after he misses it with this POS shotgun.

Another friend pulled and he lined up and turned this clay into dust. I figured he got lucky. Well he proceeded to do it 20 times with a only a miss or two. I was shocked. I shot it. I did the same. It kicks pretty good because it is light. But it's accurate, seems to be reasonably wellmade, and it is CHEAP!

I think I'm going to go buy one as a throw behind the truck seat and not care about gun. I carry a pistol at all time because of my CHL so it's purpose is not for defense so the single shot should be fine.

Anyhow, I was very impressed with this little gun. Anyone else played with one?

I've never checked one out, mainly because I saw how light they were and figured I wouldn't want that much recoil. I really like the idea of a "beat around" shotgun. That's what I use my Remington Express for.

Lots of us grew up shooting those single shots,and stll have a fondness for same. Lots of them are on their fourth generation of shooters.

And while the extreme light weight means mo' kick, you usually aren't gonna run a case of hulls through it in an afternoon. And if I ever felt the kick shooting at a critter, I do not remember it now....

On of them is in my inventory. I bought because it looks so old and classical, civilised.

Another thing to consider. Because it looks so archaic and unthreatening, it will be underestemated everytime. But is still a 12bore. The average number of shots fired in an incident involving a 12bore, are one.

I am going to get their .223 rifle wich is made on the same action. Real light peice to carry in the field. And the price is unbeatable.

[This message has been edited by Shin-Tao (edited August 18, 2000).]

Those NEF single shots are pretty neat in my book. I love the concept of a single shot, multi-barreled rifle/shotgun that utilizes cheap barrels. My Dad has a TC Encore, but barrels for that are around $200 apiece!

Rossi makes a similar gun for about the same price. My friend Bob has one in 16 gauge. He and his 19 year old daughter and I went shooting trap her first time. She did remarkably well and had a real good time.

Those single shots are nice. Lots of us farm boys loved sliding quietly through the squirrel woods with an old 12/16/20 cradled in our hands and a few shells in a pocket. The 16 ga H&R I had for my first put plenty of meat on the table, and some memories I wouldn't trade for gold.

Downside, there is a bit more felt recoil ude to the light weight, but these guns get carried more than shot.And,this is not the palce for barnburner loads, but reasonable ones.

The lack of a followup shot is serious,but for a messaround or truck gun, not as much as for a HD or tactical tool.

Some good models from yesteryear, include the Winchester 37(I think), the various H&R permutations, the old Remington single, the Savage prewar single,and also that Savage Combo, usually seen in .22/410 or .22/20 ga.

The old Winchester was a test frame and base for a number of great Turkey shoot shotguns, tight ckokes and long bbls made them unbeatable w/o major work.In fact, they make great turkey guns also, if you can find one in 3" or a good 2 3/4" load. However, leqave those 1 7/8 oz loads alone, unless you're into pain(G)....

And, for those of us who tinker, a single is a good base for messing with a stock until it works for you, then moving the dimensions over to your clays or upland shotguns. Use cardboard and tape to make the thing shoot just where you want on the patterning board, then measure carefully, and you've gotten real close to the optimum stock for you.

Instead of buying the SB-1 frame (shotgun frame) get the SB-2 in a centerfire caliber and have a 22" "youth" barrel fitted. The SB-2 frame is a bit sturdier and heavier plus you've got a switch barrel gun!

I've got one of the Pardner's and one of the Handi's with a shotgun barrel fitted. The Handi is more comfortable to shoot. I think the factory charges about $40 to fit the 22" mod. choked barrel!

These guns give a lot of bang for the buck! If you want a "truck" rifle or shotgun, these will do the trick!
Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited August 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited August 20, 2000).]

Isn't the handi rifle about $200 or so? That's a good idea, but the biggest thing I liked about the Pardner was the $78 price tag.

I may do that a little later. What kind of accuracy to do you get from your handi rifle? What caliber is it in?

KilgorII, the standard Pardner shotgun is a great deal of gun for a VERY small price!

The Pardner (SB-1) can be fitted with any of NEF's shotgun barrels in any gauge except the big 10ga.

The (SB-2) can be had for about $225 -$235. If you buy one of these in one of the "high intensity cartridges" (like .243 Win, .270 Win, .280 Rem, .308 Win, or the .30-06)), you can have it fitted for ANY of the additional barrels NEF offers!

My standard contour .223 Rem. will shoot sub MOA.

Regards! DaMan

I have a standard weight SB-2 in .223 that I've been testing with the standard stock (designed for the iron sighted centerfires).

I will not guarantee 1/2MOA groups, I know it is capable of sub-1MOA accuracy.

Back