New Eddystone

Calfed

Recently got this Eddystone at an on-line estate sale. It seems to be in excellent condition. Barrel is marked "E", with the flaming bomb and dated 6-18. Bore gauges just under "1" on the CMP gauge and the metal and wood are in great shape.

Stock appears to have been refinished. Where the manufacturer identification is usually located at the tip ("E","W", or"R") is the number 4.

As a bonus, came with a cleaning kit in the butt trap.
Argycarbine004-1.jpg

Argycarbine005-1.jpg

Argycarbine009-1.jpg

Argycarbine011-1.jpg

Argycarbine018-1.jpg
Argycarbine019-1.jpg

Very nice. If it shoots like mine, you will really enjoy this rifle. I got a deer with mine two years ago at 150 yards. I hit the deer exactly where I aimed. I really love the sights on this rifle.

That is an absolutely Beautiful weapon. I have only seen one other with that nice of a rifle stock.

How much did you have to lay out for it.

Here is a pic of the "4" on the tip of the stock. I'm really interested in finding out what the significance, if any, of the "4" is.
eddystone4020-1.jpg

And a pic of a target that I shot . Federal Powershok 180 grainers @ 100 yards.

eddystone4002-1.jpg

Eh..not that bad, but I have rifles that do better. I probably need to experiment with some other ammo, although most of my other 1917's seem to do well with the heavier bullets

Great rifle. Another + about it is that its the rarest P1917 maker of winchester, remington and eddystone. It seems like winchesters are more sought after however. Congrats on your rifle.

My first real gun was an Eddystone given to me by my Grandfather. I know he got it through the mail and I believe he paid $25 or $29.00 for it. Those days are sure gone.

As a bonus, came with a cleaning kit in the butt trap.

I just looked at the pics again, and not to rain on your parade, but thats not the correct oiler. The oiler pictured would be from a late WWII or Korean era gun such as a M1 garand. Any pre WWII guns would have a nickel plated metal oiler. They cost about $30 right now. The one you have is worth about $15 or so.

I just looked at the pics again, and not to rain on your parade, but thats not the correct oiler

Really not an issue. I got the rifle for a very nice price and finding it in the butt trap was merely a bonus.

Watch CMP

If you want an "Enfield" M1917, watch CMP. They have Service Grades on sale for $500 right now. Although I see this at the top of the page "** Not available through mail order. Counter purchases only at the Camp Perry & Anniston CMP stores when available** "

I ordered one they had listed as a rack grade last year, and got this.

m1917-1-small.jpg

m1917-6-small.jpg

I was expecting an Eddystone, and surprise surprise, when I opened up the box, it was a Winchester!

It shoots great. Very accurate if I can get my aging eyes to cooperate.

I called CMP and talked to one of the "gun" guys up there and asked if the rack grade M1917 was a shooter or a wall hanger. I wanted a shooter and he said it was a functional rifle. I took a chance for $400 and got rewarded I think.

m1917-2-small.jpg

m1917-3-small.jpg

m1917-5-small.jpg

I waited too long on the M1903s CMP had for sale, but I was told they should have some in February 2010 I think. I plan on ordering one as soon as they post them on the webpage.

That is gorgeous. I have been hunting for a nice 1917 for more than a year now. The stuff the CMP has been selling for a few years now are all ceremony guns. Sure, they shoot, but they are eaten up.
I got excited last year when the local shop called and pulled a beautiful rifle from behind the counter. Turned out, it was a British P14.

Back