New Deer Rifle..

tsreeves831

Inactive
I have been looking at new rifles to hunt with for several months now and think I have it narrowed down. I have no personal experience with a .25-06 and just very little with a 7mm-08, but those are the two calibers I am choosing between. Is there a significant enough difference in the two to matter when it comes to whitetail?

I have a 7mm-08 and a 30/30. My friend uses a 25.06 . Either the 7mm-08 or 25-06 will work great on whitetails its all personal preference both are up to the challenge. The only difference is the 7mm-08 can go up to larger game if needed. But for whitetail only either will do.

Mwal

there is so little difference it would not be a huge issue, 25-06 would be have the higher velocities but 7mm would have better bullet weight options. if you reload, 7mm would be better as it uses less powder(if I recall correctly) and there are a lot more 7mm bullet options out there than 25 cal.

Both are good choices. Barrel life in the 7mm08 will be longer if you plan on shooting a good bit. If you are using it just for hunting, you won't shoot it enough to worry about that aspect.

I shoot a 7mm08 primarily these days, I have yet to find a deer or hog or target that it won't do the job on. Mild recoil, efficient SA cartridge with a plethora of bullet weights available if you handload. Both cartridges are somewhat limited in factory bullet weights offered.

The quarter bore shoots flatter and faster with relatively mild recoil but considerably more muzzle blast.

If you do your part both of those are going to do theirs with the right bullets. If I were choosing between the them for myself I'd go with the 7mm-08, just because of the bullet choices (I handload). If you don't handload go with the one you feel more comfortable with.

Another benefit of the 7mm-08 is that its performance decline as you go down in barrel length is relatively negligible whereas the 25-06 really does need a longer barrel. Less than about a 24" barrel with the 25-06 and you start seeing bigger flash and more muzzle blast.

A little slanted view perhaps >But not all that slanted.;)

Its kind of unfair to compare the two cartridges. One's short actioned the other is long actioned. Both started out life as being wildcat cartridges. If you want to compare the 7mm-08 to another cartridge. Perhaps it should be the 260 Rem instead. Same applies for the 25-06. Its comparison perhaps should be the 257 Roberts. Even so I did a common comparison. Both cartridges. One to the 308 Winchester. The other to the 30-06 Springfield.

Not much difference. When comparing the 7MM-08 to the 308 Winchester. Little gained in the preference of a 7MM-08 over the old battle field proven 30 caliber. For one thing 7mm-08 is only 2 calibers in separation from its 30 cal cousin. Both are short actioned. Near the same bullet weights. Comparable speeds and down range energy. Even their accuracy are near identical. The only real difference between the 308 and the 7MM-08 is their ammo. 7mm-08s store bought ammo let me say is certainly close to being cost prohibited. And the 7mm-08 main component is near nonexistent. Seldom do 308 (head stamped wanted ) shooters suffer with those indignant problems.

25-06 is a huge step up when compared to the 30-06 Springfield. Actually its more suited to the 270 Win accuracy's and power. When comparing the 25-06 to its venerable 30-cal cousin. 5 calibers in their separation, That alone offers the home reloader and its manufacture a huge benefit in regards to 25-06 bullet speeds and attained very good long range accuracy. One very noticeable difference. Seldom will a 25-06 owner suffer the same indignities the 7mm-08 owner grows to accept. 7mm-08. It's reguarded in some circles as being a light duty 308 Clone. 25-06 on the other hand is considered in those same circles as a non-belted magnum by its comparison to the venerable & outstanding Weatherby 257 Magnum.

After all this comparing of the two. After everyone has had their chance to comment. You get to make the pick which will best suit (you'er) needs. :)

I'm with Zach, I like the 30-06 but then again where I hunt I might be in a field or in the woods on any given day so I want something that one little leaf wont throw the bullet of course.

I have a .243 and I have had issues in the brush.

25-06 vs 7mm-08....I like where you are going, but how did you narrow to those 2?

Factory ammo or reloading?

Bolt gun?

Whitetail from a treestand? What yardage? Will you use a BDC or point and shoot?

Why do I ask all these questions?? Well, I think factory ammo will have more choice in 7mm-08, especially in hunting bullets. 7mm will DEFINATELY have better bullet selection reloading, but 25 should be ok. 25 might be limited in that it might be too fast causing you to need expensive bullets for deer.

The gun type question is all about gun weight. The long action weighs more and has a longer throw. Maybe more weight is good for your use? In a Ruger #1 both would be the same here.

Scope is key. While 25 is a flatter shooter, the 7 should be a better killer. The 7 may need some BDC at 250 +...

I have had both the 25-06 and 7-08. Both are great rounds, if you are going to hunt long open country the 25-06 will shine. The 7-08 is generally shorter and lighter, and ki)s beautifully. Neither will let you down.

Really appreciate all of the feedback.. Nathan, there are a couple reasons I narrowed it to these two. I really like the flat shooting of the 25 and I have killed a few deer with a friends 7mm 08 so I have seen it in action. I do not load myself and I like that I have more variety in loads in the 08. They are each comparable in the size caliber I want though. I had a 260 rem that I was in love with, however I could only find 140 gr corelokts to shoot through it so that got old. These calibers are both close to the .260 from my understanding

I hunt the Texas hill country. Most of my shots will be within 250 yds from either the ground or a tower stand. (I have my Matthews for the close stuff but that's for a different discussion)

With the best factory loads a 7-08 will drop 39.6" at 500 yards and still have 1300 ft lbs of energy.

The best 25-06 loads will drop 38.6" but only have about 1028 ft lbs of energy.

Just saying.

In my experience you can do anything with a 243 that a 25-06 will do.

The 7-08 also has the verstility to shoot 175 gr bullets @ 2500 fps and is suitable for any animal in north America at closer range. If you have any doubts google WD Bell. His preferred elephant rifle was a 7X57 firing 175 gr bullets at 2500 fps. He killed 1,100 with this combo.

Great info jmr... I really think I am going to go with the 08. I don't plan on making any 400 yd shots and I like the heavy grain if im shooting ol big boy! lol

Now as far as my price range im looking at.... Savage Axis II xp or the Ruger American?? My understanding is both make the 7mm 08 but the American doesn't have the 25 06

I'm with Zach, I like the 30-06 but then again where I hunt I might be in a field or in the woods on any given day so I want something that one little leaf wont throw the bullet of course.

I have a .243 and I have had issues in the brush.
Brush affects all bullets regardless of size

I have had two 7-08s a Win 70 classic featherweight, quite possibly the smoothest action I have ever owned but foolishly traded it away. Still have a Rem mdl 7 SS, boring but a darn reliable rifle. I suggest that since you have made your caliber selection handle as many makes and models as you can find at the various gun shops. invariably one of them willcapture your attention, might be the feel, fit or you might not even be able to say why but one will. Since you are hunting from blinds don't rule out a heavy barrel model. Good trigger, good scope and plenty of ammo and you will be in good shape. then it's a matter of finding or making ammo it likes.

Back