new competitive shooting sport: ActionAirgun

Rick O-Shea

Inactive
Hi shooters,

Check out the newest competitive shooting sport to take the world by storm... the NASCAR of shooting sports... ActionAirgun! You may never get to race against Jeff Gordon, or golf against Tiger Woods, but you CAN compete with the best shooters in the world with AAG. It's inexpensive, challenging, and fun, and you can play year-round because the range can be set up in any available 8 x 16 foot space, indoors or outdoors.

It works like this: Visit http://www.ActionAirgun.com, register, and get your hands on the Advanced Shooting Kit (only 1000 are available for the Premier Season). Starting September 8, each week for 12 weeks, shooters will download Courses of Fire from the website, complete them, and upload their times to the site. At the end of the week, scores are revealed and rankings are listed, and you'll see how you stack up against the competition. You can shoot alone, or shoot with friends. Start a Fire Team, or see if you can handle the competition individually. At the end of the third season, the top 100 shooters are invited to compete at the live, potentially televised, ActionAirgun Challenge Cup. This is YOUR chance to compete against the world!

Check out ActionAirgun.com to learn more about the sport, and let me know what you think!

I think it gives "antis" ammo

I can hear it now: "You don't need real guns; you have these toy choices".

That's what I think.....

(I bought my youngest daughter a real pellet rifle for learning....and there's this woodpecker who prefers the pole with the electrical box on it....)

correcting fallacy

I have squadded with two World Champion IPSC / USPSA shooters.

Locally, even ;-)

A33102

I quit golf.

Don,

Think of it like components to a board game. The shooting kit includes everything that is needed to play ActionAirgun for an entire season:

• AAG-M1911-A1 all metal semi-automatic CO2-powered gas blowback pistol
• Two 25-BB capacity CO2 magazines
• CED 7000 LCD shot timer with wrist strap
• 10 CO2 chargers
• 2,000 Precision-ground BBs with speed loader
• 10 High-density polymer targets
• Two target stands with custom printed ActionAirgun placement grid.
• Two pairs of polycarbonate safety glasses
• Ambidextrous holster

With proper maintenance and care, the kit can be used over and over through several seasons. If you're playing ActionAirgun with a group of friends, you can split the cost of a kit because one kit can support multiple players. In fact, we took it to a Department of Justice trade show and the gun was shot by more than 300 people in the course of three days, and we had no failures!

The most expensive component of the kit is the LCD shot timer, which you can find more information about here. The timer included in the kit was specially modified for AAG to be able to function properly in an enclosed setting (the range is 8' x 16' and most ranges will be set up indoors) and to pick up the softer report of the gun.

ActionAirgun players all use the same equipment to keep the playing field equal for all shooters... In other words, we want shooters to demonstrate their true skill and iron sights, without any help from special optics or gun modifications that could enhance their shooting performance.

I'd be happy to help you with any other concerns.

saw this at the Harrisburg sports show. looks like a great way to practice form and reloads without having to goto the range and waste ammo. wish you could just buy the gun only.

I shot the inaugural season of Action Airgun - it actually was a lot of fun; but it also wasn't perfect. In addition to coverage on Gun Nuts Radio, we did a wrap-up on the "premier season" at the Radio Blog - you can read the whole thing here.

Like I said in the post, it was fun, but it's also not a substitute for IPSC/IDPA in your competition repertoire. However, you can get some valuable trigger time by shooting this, especially since you can safely set up the courses in your basement or garage. One thing I don't recommend is practicing reloads with the supplied magazines. The feed lips on the magazines are made of brittle plastic - I fumbled an IDPA style "reload with retention" with one of the mags, dropped it on my concrete floor and watched the feed lips shatter into about a jillion teeny plastic pieces.

Action Airgun does fit quite nicely into the "gateway" sports though. I was able to get my non-shooting wife out and shoot it with me, and it could be a great way to introduce non-gun types to action-esque shooting.

It's just fun....

Stop thinking "Airsoft" since there is nothing soft about this sport. It's like when you were kids playing "guns" or BB gun wars.

The new AEG (Automatic Electric Gun) can be quite spending. Vast improvements have been made and you can get functionally almost realistic in weight and action (depending how much you want to spend).

This is not the little toy guns you can buy at Big5 or some other sporting goods store.

Think of it this way you get to shoot and be shot at and the 6mm little BB's are very accurate at close range (up to about 100 feet or more).

The sport really hasn't taken off here.... yet. If you look to countries that have banned real firearms you'll see that this sport is very popular. The Japanese have some great replicas - they are spendy but man they look so real.

If your intersted just do a search in YouTube.

If you want CQB (close quarter's) this is some good training. You'll learn from your mistakes and at least this way you can either repeat them or at least try again :)

Just another way to train. For some it's stupid, some it's great and some don't take the time to do it. I try to keep an open mind and it's not too bad. I'll say this.... you get your heart pumping since you don't want to get shot, that's for sure.

Back