New Colt wheel guns - unimpressed

2wheelwander

I was in the LGS this weekend perusing thigs I shouldn't be spending money on. They had a rack full of Les Bear's, a few 75 year old lever guns, a few other things that caught my eye. Counter guy caught on pretty quick what I may be int he market for as most of my time was spent on the used guns looking for a gem.

He tells me I need to look at this, pulls out a new model King Cobra 6" in nickel. Very pretty gun. I cock the hammer, put a finger in front of the hammer to prevent a dry fire and feel the trigger - not near as good as my 686-2. Not even close. Then I swing the cylinder out and hit the case extractor. Not only could you feel machine marks in the action, you could hear them. Like a zipper. It would have seemed right inline with a $300 Rossi and excused at that price point.

Looked at the price tag, $1100. I just shook my head and handed it back. He saw and heard what I did and got a little sheepish. Began telling me there was a time Colt demanded you buy 20 guns per order if you wanted to special order just one and they stopped ordering. Apparently after a few months they got the hint from their dealers who quit ordering as well and the minimum order was lifted.

Colt, if yer reading this, well, good luck with the new business model. I can't help but wonder if the younger generation of gun buyers think this is normal after listening to older guys espouse the qualities of the older guns that outshine their modern counterparts? I mean, who spends a grand on a new premium revolver and accepts this?

Purchased a new Colt Cobra (not a king) to go with my series one and series two Colt Cobras. The late/new model is superior to the old pieces. The late model will stand up far longer than the old kids. By the way, I paid less for the new piece than the classics.
.02. David. :)

Ps-- I have a classic SW 686 and yes it is a fine revolver.

Last edited:
I own a Cobra Gen II and a Gen III. I agree with you bn12gg, the new Cobra is a fine gun with one of the best triggers out there. The gun is accurate, built like a beast and a damn fine gun. Certainly a different animal than the original Cobras, but overall, I think they are a better gun.

The fit and finish on my Cobra is excellent with none of the issues that the OP mentions. Certainly on par with any S&W or Ruger that I own. I own a 686-4 and grew up shooting a 586.

That being said, the finish on the new Cobras isn't my favorite. The bead blast isn't for everyone and I'm still hit or miss on it. I'd rather it be blued or polished but in the very least, it's unique to Colt and won't show scratches as bad. Otherwise, I have zero complaints and while I love my Gen II, I truly believe that the Gen III is every bit the gun and then some.

I actually just bought a 3" King Cobra off of GB. After putting it through it's paces, it's going to be a camping hiking back country gun. I bought this sight unseen simply because I've been damn impressed with my Cobra Gen III and essentially, the King and Cobra are the same guns. Same internals... with a different finish, barrel and top strap.

OP: I wasn't aware that Colt was producing a 6" King Cobra in nickel. Was this a stainless polished Python maybe?

I'll update this post after I get the King, but again, with my experience with both old and new Colts, while the new ones may never have the panache and lore of the old ones, they are still some of the best guns revolvers on the market. Manufacturing methods have changed, but I believe that Colt is on the right path. Certainly heading in a better direction than they did in the 1990s.

Last edited:
They don’t make a 6 inch KC. It’s a 4 inch “ target” model or was 6 inch python but I think they are 1499.00 msrp. My brand new 3 inch KC is awesome but is going in for misfires. Only 130 rounds in and I had like 20 no-bangs with 2 different boxes on Remington fmj/LRN
I’m cool with it. “Show some grace and walk the talk” I’m telling myself.

I’m the meantime I bought myself a charter arms 38 snubby for 250 brand new and I love it! It SHOULD go bang every time lol

New model King Cobra in nickel with a 6” barrel! You should have bought it because that would be a one of a kind gun.

My brand new 3 inch KC is awesome but is going in for misfires. Only 130 rounds in and I had like 20 no-bangs with 2 different boxes on Remington fmj/LRN

How in any way is this awesome? I love Colt revolvers but don't make excuses for shoddy quality control.

He tells me I need to look at this, pulls out a new model King Cobra 6" in nickel. Very pretty gun.

Please tell me where this guns shop is located I am going to call them and buy this one of a kind new Colt revolver in Nickel.
Colt doesn't even know they made one!!

When I saw the very first two new model King Cobras lying next to each other, I just had to handle them.

The trigger is great, for somebody who has owned lots of old Colts. But I could not get either cylinder to swing out without much effort.

Yes, I am familiar with the Colt cylinder latch. And both of these would not slide back without being wiggled just right. So, 2 for 2, this sixgun is not acceptable. I'm not sure I want to look at a third.

Bart Noir

My Brand new KC was sticky/tight as well. Couple nights playing with it in my ez chair and some kroil fixed it perfect. Now it’s a zero clearance no slop machine! Any new metal machine needs “ braking in”

The Force is strong with the ~Colt~ name. Colt can sell everything it can produce, no matter the quality, or lack of same. FWIW, I've owned at least 3 Colt DA revolvers, a SAA, and bunch of 0-Frames in the last 45 years or so. Much as I like Colts, not all of mine were as wonderful as many would want to believe all Colts must be. I just don't know, build a little D-frame size DA revolver with reported issues and call it a "King Cobra"? New 2020 Pythons, with serious issues, reported by more than a couple of early adopters.

I know that modern manufacturing can produce finely fitted, accurate and reliable pistols, and I hope Colt gets it's revolver issues sorted out. I might spring for one of the new Pythons myself. But I can't help but think, none of my new or used Colt, S&W or Ruger revolvers over the last 50 years or so ever evidenced light primer strikes, failure of the Cylinder to rotate, etc. They were/are not perfect by any means, but they were all functionally reliable with factory and reloaded ammo. I see all kinds of excuses made by Colt true believers as to why their Colts don't function reliably. They are Colts, and of course any malfunction issues must be due to something other than their new ~*~COLT~*~ revolvers;)

I'm not sure what I got wrong jackmoser65. But I know 3 things I got right. New Colt King Cobra stainless/nickel revolver. Horrible grit in the ejector action. Just shy of $1,100. Next time I'll take a picture

The King Cobra is not available with a 4 inch barrel and neither it or the Python are made with a nickel plated finish. Stainless only. Those I've handled have been slicker than hot snot on glass.

I don't doubt what you are saying jackmoser65. I'm no Colt Expert and not beyond being wrong. But I do recognize poor quality in a $1k pistol - which was my experience. I posted because I did not want/hated to be disappointed in a premium Colt. If it were a cheap Rossi et al, I'd have thought nothing of it. My 642 being a much cheaper firearm is so much smoother that the Colt I experienced. I have a 20 year old NAA .22 magnum I paid <$200 for and has better fit and finish than that Colt did.

Glad your experiences have been different that mine, but had I bought this online without handling it first and been forced to reconcile with shipping back to Colt to fix something that should have never made it past QC, I'd have been a bit pissed. I looked on Colts site to see what I had incorrect and understand the fuss about my details.

I also noticed Freedom Firearms had it listed $100 higher than MSRP. Which, knowing this store isn't beyond shocking, if it were the same listings I saw on Colt's web site.

My apologies for the inaccuracies, but I stand by my original assessment.

The King Cobra is available in 2", 3" and 4" King Cobra Target model.

The Python is available in 4" and 6" length. I suspect that the OP was either wrong about the barrel length or was looking at a Python.

There have been some reported issues with both the Cobras and Python models. Not so much on fit and finish but on light primer strikes. Overall, despite some issues with the side plates and or spring set up for lighter trigger pull, I think the guns have met overall with a positive review.

New Colt wheel guns - u New Colt wheel guns - unimpressednimpressed

I have to say I'm no wheel gun expert,by no means,I've owned a Ruger security six .357 4" stainless, shot .38's well, full load mags. too much recoil for my liking.price was right new 300 bucks.Traded it for a WELL used essex framed 1911. never looked back. since then i've owned various autos CZ's RIA'S ect. nothing over 900 bucks. recently bought a S&W 610 10mm,I flinched at 1,000$ price tag, but have been more than happy with fit finish and function.I don't understand how Colt maintains it's God like reputation with 1200-1500$ guns that have the number of failures that i read about, that kind of money should dictate a perfect product before it gets shipped.I've shot early Pythons that were exemplary. Why can't they turn these out now? you paid for it you should get what you expect.
just my 2 cents.JJ

Back