New Colt Python

colbad

A friend is looking to buy a new Colt Python now that they are back in production. Anyone have experience or comments on the new ones vs the pre-99 models? Looks like they sell around $1500. He's looking for a shooter not a collector gun. He had one back in his early LE days and now feeling like one more gun purchase before riding into the sunset.

The general consensus on the Colt Forum is that the New Python is actually superior to the old one in many respects.

It has a better DA trigger then the original, but the SA is not as good.
Heffron Gunsmithing is doing trigger jobs on them that give a DA/SA better then the original Python.

It's far smoother inside then any of the old Colt's.

The action is an all-new transfer bar safety-ignition system, but still has the old Colt "Bank Vault" lock up of the cylinder.

Accuracy as as good, and in many cases better then the original.

The action is stronger and isn't going to have any issues with timing.

Fit and finish is exceptionable.

One down check is the new rear sight.
It doesn't have click adjustments for windage.
You loosen a a small Allen head screw, then turn another screw to move windage, then you have to tighten the first screw.
Some people have had the small Allen screw back out and get lost.
They recommend putting a tiny drop of Loctite Blue on the screw.
New screws can be bought in a good hardware store.

To be fair, most revolver users sight in a new revolver and never change the rear sight settings again.

Most buyers consider the New Python to be the best DA revolver currently made in America.

I like it well enough that I've got three of them. I did have an issue with the first one I bought, a very early production model, when the sideplate screws worked loose. A minute or so spent figuring out what was wrong, another minute or so getting a screwdriver out of my bag and tightening the screws up, and I was back in business. The issure has never returned. The other two, from later batches, have had no trouble at all.

I'm pretty much a Smith and Wesson guy, but I'm tickled to death with mine. I don't know much about the S/A trigger. The D/A is go good on all three that I've hardly ever used the S/A. They just beg to be fired in D/A so that's what I've done.

Python's, (and some other revolvers) have a "short cylinder." By that I mean you have to watch your overall cartridge length when reloading. I found I had some 158 grain 357 reloads that were just a tad too long for the cylinder. They worked find in my Smith & Wesson revolvers, but I had to make an adjustment to my dies for the Python. It would be more of a problem if you loaded longer/heavier bullets I suppose. I've never seen/heard of an issue with factory ammo.

Money not being a concern, I think the new Python is the buy over the old.

I think the S&W 686 as clear advantages, but that doesn't mean the new Python isn't going to be a good buy either.

I have 4 686s right now and am considering picking up the Python.

The one big thing stopping me and this might be a consideration to your mate, how is CZ going to handle any warranty work or future support. We are in THE time of this being unclear. An issue given CZ killing off their bought Dan Wesson revolver. This makes the Python CZ's only wheel gun.

Worth translating this source on Colt Pythons through CZ:
https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/arti...chen-wollen-Waffenhersteller-Colt-kaufen.html

The general consensus on the Colt Forum is that the New Python is actually superior to the old one in many respects.

It has a better DA trigger then the original, but the SA is not as good.
Heffron Gunsmithing is doing trigger jobs on them that give a DA/SA better then the original Python.

It's far smoother inside then any of the old Colt's.

The action is an all-new transfer bar safety-ignition system, but still has the old Colt "Bank Vault" lock up of the cylinder.

Accuracy as as good, and in many cases better then the original.

The action is stronger and isn't going to have any issues with timing.

Fit and finish is exceptionable.

One down check is the new rear sight.
It doesn't have click adjustments for windage.
You loosen a a small Allen head screw, then turn another screw to move windage, then you have to tighten the first screw.
Some people have had the small Allen screw back out and get lost.
They recommend putting a tiny drop of Loctite Blue on the screw.
New screws can be bought in a good hardware store.

To be fair, most revolver users sight in a new revolver and never change the rear sight settings again.

Most buyers consider the New Python to be the best DA revolver currently made in America.

Hmmm. I might have to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own three of the older model Python and one of the newer. Finish aside, the newer Python is a better gun, IMO. Not that the finish is bad; it's not. It's just that the old bluing, nickeling, etc. were just superb.

An issue given CZ killing off their bought Dan Wesson revolver. This makes the Python CZ's only wheel gun.

Colt is still making the Cobra, King Cobra, Anaconda, the Python and their SAA. There's close to 20 different variants on their website. There's really no comparison to the Dan Wesson. CZ brought the Dan Wesson revolver back to life but the reception was rather meh... Colt's line up has been a huge hit with new models commanding a large premium over MSRP for months if not years. They are making as many as they can and selling about as quickly.

Colt is still making the Cobra, King Cobra, Anaconda, the Python and their SAA. There's close to 20 different variants on their website. There's really no comparison to the Dan Wesson. CZ brought the Dan Wesson revolver back to life but the reception was rather meh... Colt's line up has been a huge hit with new models commanding a large premium over MSRP for months if not years. They are making as many as they can and selling about as quickly.

I bought my first Python in January of last year. The S/N on that one was < 3000 (and I understand they started at 1,000). The second one, was in May last year with a S/N just a little higher than 5500. When we got the third one in April of this year the S/N was in the 205,000 range.

I understand that S/N don't necessarly corelate to actual production numbers, but still that seem to indicate to me they're making a few of them.

Last edited:
Your serial doesn't work that way.

Use the Colt serial look up on Colt's website. If you add one number to both of your 4 serial numbers with random numbers...you get different guns and years.

I would like one, but none of the local stores have them in stock. I've had my name on lists at several stores since the model was introduced at the beginning of 2020. They can't seem to get them. I keep hearing that there is a massive backlog (I believe it) that will likely last for another couple years. Seems that those living farther east (I reside in Idaho) are having an easier time. Over the past few months other guns have caught my attention and I decided life is too short so I raided my Python fund to acquire them. So it goes.

I have one and recommend it. As mentioned, the only drawback is the rear sight, but it’s usually only an issue once. The double action pull is smooth, much better than my current production S&W. But it should be at $1,500.

Just picked up my 4.25" Python this morning. Got the call last night. Had it on order since this summer. Well worth the wait and the MSRP suggested retail price... which is FAR better than Gunbroker or Sportsman's Warehouse.
Crisp trigger, action like a swiss clock. Beautiful weapon. Absolutely stunning. And, built much stronger than the older models. If it shoots as good as I'm guessing, my S&W 80's 586 may have to go back in the safe.
Been in my BRAIDS IWB holster all day.
I saw one yesterday while in NH at L.L. Cote's for just over $1,600, not a bad mark up... fair given the waiting lists.

Last edited:
I have a 1966 that is a shooter. Bit worn, but accurate and has a wonderful SA trigger. I just picked up a new Python and I believe that the SA is almost as good as on the 66.

Haven't shot the new one yet, might not, but it is certainly a well made gun and in my mind, is not a step down in any way from the originals.

Same names, different guns, but both are certainly equal to the name Python.

As an aside, I think the new King Cobras may be better than the originals. The new Cobras don't quite match the old ones but are still fine guns. Your mileage may vary of course.

I was surprised at the quality of the new python. I thought they would not even be close to the quality of the old guns. I was wrong.

Back