New Colt DS-II

4t5

Inactive
Greetings,

I saw a new Colt DS-II in a local shop today, asking price is $460.00. I have 2 S&W 640's with which I am very happy. But, the Colt is looking pretty nice.
Basically, I have three questions:
1. The price seems very high, are they rare and hard to find or does the dealer simply want too much?
2. How are the actions on these new guns?
3. Should I bother?

Thanks in advance...

4t5

DS-II

I believe the gun you are talking about is the SF-VI. The SF-VI is the exact same revolver as the DS-II, except for the name. In 1997 Colt changed the name to DS-II. Everyone always called it "the New Detective Special" anyway. Seemed Colt was just a little slow catching on. At first everyone called the SF-IV "SF-I(eye) V(vee), until years later they found out it was a Roman numeral six. It always seemed like a stupid name to me for a company to call a gun, especially when it's predecessors where names like "Diamondback", "Viper","Cobra" ect. I made a reply to a similiar post a few threads down. You might like to look at that one for more info. I can tell you the actions are extremely crisp and to me appear to be shorter than a S&W revolver. The feel of a Colt to me seems more balanced than a S&W. I know the rifling twist are 1 to 14 instead of 1 to 18 as the Smith's are. You might like to know, the orginial DS is not at all like the new SF-VI. They do share weight, size and some minor parts, the lock work is completely new. Old DS lock work is near a century old in design. Bad or good? I guess it depends on one's opinion and ideas. Is the price good? Is it worth it to you...? Colt no longer makes the gun. So if it is new it might become a collectors idem of some value... but I would not hold my breath. I do love my Colt though. I have many S&W's but I carry the Colts. Try finding an old DS and comparing them before you buy. Colts are MUCH different then S&W in actions and feel. It may take some getting used if you are not familiar with them. Good luck!

[Edited by 4thHorseman on 02-27-2001 at 07:50 AM]

Back