New CMP M1 Garand Sheduled For Delivery To Me This Morning

So, my little brother was late getting presents but he ordered a new Nikon Digital camera to replace this crappy one. I'll take better pics when I get it.

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

I look forward to better pictures. Give us some details on the rifle. Such as: Grade, Manufacturer, Barrel year, stock markings, etc. I haven't bought anything in a while and I'm having withdrawals!

TK

Dang camera was a used one that didn't have the usb cable or an SD card with it, I have no way to download the pics to computer yet. But it is a RM1SAF M1 Garand SA Field Grade
Serial #: 58676XX

High s/n Springfield, nice. Looks like USGI wood, too!

Congratulations! The wood can clean up really nice, but be careful; use gentle cleaning techniques. In my opinion, advice such as 'use the dishwasher' is to be avoided.

When I got my Springfield M1 (s/n 313XXXX) the stock was black. I was pleasantly surprised with what the wood really looked like, although cleaning it and oiling it a few dozen times took a lot of hours!

M1907M1.jpg

Thanks :) the trouble is, I don't like to put it on a shooting bench because it looks too good and I worry about it. Outsmarted myself a little!

Boiled linseed oil for almost all of it. I don't recall how many coats...as many as 50, I think, after I cleaned it up. I have a few times used lin-speed oil instead of just BLO

I once did use a 'gunny paste' of beeswax and BLO that I made up as well. It was OK, but I never saw any real advantage over just BLO so after that one time I didn't use it again. I never really did anything special to the wood. I've done a few GI stocks and they all came out good, but I think this one was just a nice piece of wood that I got lucky with, and it shows off nice. Once in a while, things work out

Funny thing is, the can of BLO I bought in 2008 to oil that stock now has a layer of reddish-gold dried BLO on the top part of the can!

Last edited:
nice. I have started the process to get one from CMP. I qualify, just have to send in forms etc.

Yours is very very nice. What grade was it??????

Chris_B: What a beautiful gun! My Service Grade (bought in early Aug. '10 at Camp Perry) still has the dinged, dark wood, but the metal and bore are what count.
Looking fwd. to gandog 56's photos when he finds time.

How many of the Service Grades available in July/August '10 were sent from Greece?

Back