New cleaning rod ?

1stmar

Going to get a new cleaning rod, probably a Dewey or Tipton fiberglass. How many of you are buying caliber specific rods as opposed to buying say a .22 cal rod and using it for both 22 and 30 cal.

The thicker the metal part of the rod is, the stiffer it'll be and not take a set or kink after bending it. Which is why some folks use solid stainless steel rods a bit smaller than bore diameter. With a rod guide, they won't harm the origin of the rifling.

I prefer bore snakes. Cheaper, Faster, easier and do a great job. They don't require a bore guide and have virtually no chance of damaging the bore or crown. Easier to store and transport, too.

Few rods, many jags

Excluding my M/L rods, I basically have three sizes. The usual .22cal, A brass .30cal and my shotgun rods. A ton of jags, including my Tornadoes. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I started with the otis kit and have been slowly buying caliber specific rods over the last year or so. To me the cable system is a little bit of a pain if I'm just at my bench. I do keep the otis kit in the range bag though.

YMMV

If I get a Carbon rod it should flex when needed and not kink. Probably not enough room in the barrel for a 22 cal rod to flex and break in a 30 cal barrel. Thinking 22 should suffice

I use a .22 Dewy rod in my .223s and .308. I got a .30 cal Dewy rod and it seems to be to fat for my .308. It will get stuck with just one patch on the end of the jag. I quit using it long ago..

Leaning towards the Tipton. I like the carbon shaft, not sure why they aren't using standard size jags. Have to buy all new jags and brushes.

Yeah Tipton using proprietary parts irritated me and I've generally been a fan of Dewey so I've always used their rods.

Off topic but I had a can of break free vent it self overnight and melt a microfiber rag to the handle. Dewey was able to sell me a new handle for about $6 shipped and I was able to repair it myself rather then replace.

I just like the idea of carbon. It should flex and not kink and should never damage a barrel. Dewey stuff is good. Have you bent any rods? I think they are coated correct?

I use Dewey and Bore Tech coated rods depending on what length rods. A 22 cal Dewey rod works up to 6.5 cal and 270 rod work to 35 cal.

I'm not saying you can't do it but chance of bowing rod before it get into the bore guide would be a concern.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a Dewey rod, but mostly find myself using Boresnakes. A couple passes and the rifles or handguns are clean.

I'm still looking at maybe removing the copper bristles in the .22 version, though.

Regards,

Josh

I have Dewey one piece brass rods for .22, .30 cal, and shotgun. I also use bore guides and a rifle vise as they make cleaning much easier.

Good luck!

I had boresnakes for all my firearms & recently got my first dewey for my most used rifle. I thought I was getting the barrel clean with the bore snake... First patch through with the the rod came out black!

I have since gotten the proper rods / jags for each caliber I need & my barrels are spotless now.

I have 3 stainless steel Pro Shot rods. One for my .17hmr .155" dim. One for my .22 rifles a 20 cal. rod at .163" dim. And one for .27/30 cal. They work great.

I am also in the market for a nice set of one piece cleaning rods.

I'm looking into Bore Tech and Dewey coated rods or the Tipton carbon fiber.

Being more of a novice than you more experienced folks can I really go wrong with any of the three?

Can coated rods embed as Tipton says on their site or is that a marketing ploy since they are competing with manufacturers of coated rods? I would think as long as you wipe the rod after each pass it would be a wash between coated and carbon fiber.

Thanks

Back