new cleaner

It's good. I have some. Lots of people swear by it, but you must re-lube afterwards. I only use it inside the bore, or in a stainless chamber. I use the gel.

Ledbetter

mongfu - I have some and it does work well. Like Ledbetter says, you have to re-lube after cleaning with it.

I think the big advantages are that it's odor free and non-caustic. You can soak parts in a container full of the stuff and then re-use it because the solution doesn't get contaminated like Hoppes, et al.

Cliff

I like it, but it does not seem to cut barrel fouling as well as a conventional bore solvent. I often find residual fouling that a couple of strokes with a brush and Hoppe's takes right out. Anyone else having this experience?

I like the fact that it's non-toxic and non-volitile a lot.

It's ok. I have a bottle and use it occassionaly. But it doesn't do a thing for copper. So you have to use a copper remover afterwards. Would I buy it again? Probally not.

JNewell,

Do you use a bronze brush in conjunction with the MPro7? It works fine for me. My biggest complaint is that you have to be absolutely sure to get all of it out, so I brush with solvent and then oil afterward anyway.

Ledbetter

I use it, and I think it's better than Hoppe's and quicker. Only thing is, they make a big deal about it removing the fouling on the front of the cylinder face of a stainless revolver, but it doesn't, not completely. I have to use a little bit of "Brasso", which works perfectly.

------------------
Thanks,
doctorj

Ledbetter -- yes, I do use a brush. Without, it really does leave powder (or jacket?) residue behind. (I believe it's powder residue, since jacket fouling usually turns the patch greenish -- though I suppose even Speer, Federal and the like might be using copper plated iron now? Dunno.)

Docj, true, but it does do a very good job considering how fast and well it works. And, I like its low toxicity. I hate to think how many chemicals I've absorbed over the years. I usually wear latex gloves now...

JNewell,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wears gloves while cleaning guns. I get the mechanic's chemical-proof ones from the auto parts store and use them two or three times. I also wear safety glasses since I got brake cleaner in my eyes. (Splish-splash)

What is Iosso? Some people say Simple Green works good too. Heat the gun parts afterwards to dry.

Regards,

Ledbetter

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited August 11, 2000).]

I use MPRO-7 and love it. It removes everything except copper. I always follow up with a little Butch's Bore Shine (outdoors) to remove copper and then another go with MPRO-7 followed by a *HOT* rinse in water, drying and a good lube with Butch's Gun Oil.

BTW, I tried the MPRO-7 test, ie; Clean with (insert your old stuff here) then use MPRO-7 and see the stuff on the patch. I pulled black (carbon?) from all my "clean" Glock barrels except for one that I had used JB Bore Paste on. All, including the "JB" cleaned bore, had been thoroughly cleaned with Shooter's Choice and Butch's Bore Shine. The MPRO-7 still pulled residue from the non-JB'd barrels. MPRO-7 definitely works. I highly recommend it.

Ledbetter,

IOSSO is an abrasive paste type cleaner similar to JB Bore Paste. I know the package says "non-abrasive" but trust me... IT IS ABRASIVE.

I noticed the Mpro7 does a much faster job cleaning barrels that have been treated with Militec-1 first. I use Hoppes to clean and Militec-1 for lube during the first 3-4 cleanings and then only Mpro7 and Militec-1 and thereafter.
Once the Militec bonds, it only takes a patch or two soaked in Mpro7 to clean the heck out of the barrel.
My one P225 that has not been drowned in Militec-1 cleans up nicely with Mpro7 but it takes considerably longer to do so.
--Daniel

------------------

Back