New CCW holder

308Loader

Hello everyone. Not sure this is the right place to post this thought, please feel free to move it or delete it.

So, I am new to concealed carry. Got my permit this spring and carry on the rare occasion, still getting used to the whole thing. I've honestly have never been in a situation I couldn't talk or fight my way out of. The neighbor hood is getting rougher and I guess I'm getting old-er, fist fights might not go as well these days. So I thought I would exercise my right to carry.

A situation came up yesterday with a road raging douche bag. He thought 60mph was a good idea in my neighbor hood 30mph street and wanted to share some front bumper with my rear bumper. I kindly gave him the one finger waive when I turned down my street and went on my way. He (some young kid) whips a U turn in the middle of the residential street and chased me down to continue the conversation. When he caught up to me we had some nice words through the window. This happened to be one of the times I was carrying. All I could think is PLEASE don't get out of your truck, Please. Normally I think I would have helped him out of the vehicle to further discuss the matter.

I know I did the right thing by letting him vent his meth fueled frustration on me and my kid. It took a minute to for me calm down after the confrontation. Things could have gotten crazy had he gotten out and wanted to get physical. I suppose this sort of thing is why I decided to get the permit in the first place. This is just the first time I ever had to think about how real things could really get. Maybe I should just hit the gym and get back in fighting shape. First time gitters? Any one else have a first time confrontation that made them think about the choice to carry? I guess at least I had options if he wanted to draw.

There are some basic rules you must learn !!
Be Aware of you're surroundings at all times '
Do your best to AVOID confrontation.
Leave your Macho at home when carrying !
Get the best training you can find. With good training you can find how much you don't know. :)

When he caught up to me we had some nice words through the window. This happened to be one of the times I was carrying. All I could think is PLEASE don't get out of your truck, Please. Normally I think I would have helped him out of the vehicle to further discuss the matter.

I know I did the right thing by letting him vent his meth fueled frustration on me and my kid. It took a minute to for me calm down after the confrontation. Things could have gotten crazy had he gotten out and wanted to get physical. I suppose this sort of thing is why I decided to get the permit in the first place.
In your first paragraph my emphasis added, why not just drive away??
Same thought in your second paragraph my emphasis added.
I have some concern and reservation with my second emphasis in paragraph 2 about this is a reason "you got your CCW"
Avoidance, de-escalating is your best bet as long as it can be done safely. There are no winners in a gun fight. From what you posted I would suggest you look into taking either MAG-20 or MAG-40 instructed by Massad Ayoob.

Be Aware of you're surroundings at all times '
check, always.

Do your best to AVOID confrontation.
I suppose the bird wasn't necessary.

Leave your Macho at home when carrying!
Didn't mean to come off as a tough guy. I always try to verbally diffuse situations, and only hit back not first.

Get the best training you can find. With good training you can find how much you don't know.
I would agree. Any suggestions?

In your first paragraph my emphasis added, why not just drive away??

He pulled in at a slight angle to the front of my vehicle at a stop sign. To throw it in reverse and run backwards didn't seem to be a good option. He would, in my mind have most likely given chase aggravating the situation.

Where I live the crime is getting bad. People walking around the local parks are getting beaten for no reason by a local gangs. Its not even a robbery just a beating. Their is a random shooting weakly.

Last edited:
308Loader said:
I know I did the right thing by letting him vent his meth fueled frustration on me and my kid. It took a minute to for me calm down after the confrontation. Things could have gotten crazy had he gotten out and wanted to get physical. I suppose this sort of thing is why I decided to get the permit in the first place. This is just the first time I ever had to think about how real things could really get. Maybe I should just hit the gym and get back in fighting shape. First time gitters? Any one else have a first time confrontation that made them think about the choice to carry? I guess at least I had options if he wanted to draw.
The first thing you MUST learn when carrying is to keep your emotions and your reactions in check. So he was driving like a jerk -- welcome to the world, where 110% of drivers on the road at any given instant of time drive like maniacs. YOU gave him an obscene gesture. Big mistake.

There's a discussion forum that's loosely related to this one, where people talk about things other than guns. The name is "Armed Polite Society." The name derives from someone once having said that an armed society is a polite society. And it should be -- but it's up to each and every one of us who goes armed to ensure that it remains that way. That hunk of steel/aluminum/plastic on your belt is a deadly weapon. Those gun things KILL people. Is it really REALLY worth inviting a confrontation that may end up with someone lying dead in the street because some dude was tailgating you?

Think about that before you put the belt through your holster tomorrow.

You did ok, you're only human.

My primary advice is just try to stay aware of your surroundings and carry your gun like it's a religion.
Avoid a fight if you can, But if you can't be prepared to have the final word ;)

Someone once gave me the advice.. EVERY situation you're in is a deadly confrontation.. cause YOU are armed, Try to remain chill.
I know sometimes that's easier said then done.. We're only human.

I've encountered a somewhat similar situation late one night driving the family home from visiting their Grandmother. Punk kid didn't like me doing the speed limit so he zipped by in a no passing zone then brake checked me and slowed down to about 5mph. I wasn't gonna stop and be a sitting duck so I went around him. He followed us a couple turns so I took him on a goose chase away from our neighborhood. He followed us for a while until I went and parked at a well lit convience store. He sat across the main street while I sat there idling. After a couple minutes he left. I drove back toward our house making all the unnecessary turns I could to be sure and spot a tail. Then parked at a well lit church parking lot with my lights off, engine running for a timed out 10 minutes. Then went home and "loaded for bear".

Point of the story being, don't escalate the situation but be prepared. I had my gun out of my pocket ready to go and was super aware of what was going on.
Your carry permit and gun are no good to you of you only occasionally carry.

I like what Joesixpack said too about every confrontation being potentially deadly. Since I have started carrying every day I have found that I am a lot more calm and cognizant of my actions.

He may have been a kid, but it was you who gave him the finger. You have to be in grave danger of death or great bodily harm. Do not make the mistake of thinking your gun can be used for every threat to you, especially if it appears that you started it. If someone punches you in the nose, you cannot pull your gun. If you provoke the fight in the jury's mind, you go to jail. Here in Florida there is a mandatory 3 year prison sentance without parole if you pull your gun inappropriately. When carrying you have to act in a manner that avoids conflict. A friend of mine has a hot temper and that is the reason he does not carry a gun. He collects them but he knows his temper and does not even want to apply for a permit to carry.

I had to alter my behavior when I started carrying a gun at age 58 after some surgery and other medical problems as well as age related stuff. I have a type A personality and have to be the alpha dog all the time. Now I will yield on the road and maybe curse in the car. I will avoid confrontations because it does not matter what I thought at the time I pulled my gun. What matters is how a jury who was not there, thinks is reasonable action. A few years ago the NRA said that it costs about $75K to defend yourself even if found innocent. You have to ask yourself if it is worth it to walk away or stay for the fight.

From post #3 Massad Ayoob does an excellent job in all his classes.
From what you posted I would suggest you look into taking either MAG-20 or MAG-40 instructed by Massad Ayoob.
These classes will give you knowledge on the law, in and outs of things and the MAG-40 class will give you approximately 500 rounds of shooting teaching marksmanship,. Both classes are geared around CCW

308Loader said:
. . . . So, I am new to concealed carry. Got my permit this spring and carry on the rare occasion, still getting used to the whole thing. I've honestly have never been in a situation I couldn't talk or fight my way out of. The neighbor hood is getting rougher and I guess I'm getting old-er, fist fights might not go as well these days. So I thought I would exercise my right to carry.
Welcome to CC-ing. It takes a little getting used to, but the company here is really great.

308Loader said:
A situation came up yesterday with a road raging douche bag. He thought 60mph was a good idea in my neighbor hood 30mph street and wanted to share some front bumper with my rear bumper. I kindly gave him the one finger waive when I turned down my street and went on my way. . . . .
A few folks before me have mentioned de-escalation. The one-finger wave is not one of the recommended methods for defusing a situation. #understatement. Once you put on a gun, you really have to leave the attitude at home and be prepared to let some things roll past you in ways that you ordinarily would not have. Like idiots who ride your bumper.

Yep, keep that one finger tucked in from now on. Unnecessary increase in tension.

You might have been in a situation where backing up was impossible, but ego should not be a reason to choose against backing up and driving away.

If someone is pursuing you, you have a perfectly valid reason to call 911 and drive towards a LEO facility or somewhere directed by the dispatcher. A disruption of your plan for the day? Yep, but less so than a shooting, whether you are the shooter or the target.

Well, if he would have gotten out of his car the prudent thing would have been to drive away and hit 911. Now, if he cuts in front of you and blocks you in, then it is an entirely different story but dial 911 nevertheless.

You can do a search for Defensive handgun training and find when and where they are accessible. Plan on paying $800 or more and having 1000 rounds and a belt holster. You will appreciate gloves, elbow and knee pads as well as a hat and sunglasses for the training. You should already own ear muffs and shooting glasses. Most beginner classes are two days over the weekend and you will be able to buy CDs, books and DVDs to refresh your memory on your training. A 3 ring binder with lots of paper and a couple of good pens will help with notes and give you a place to put the handouts.

Back