New Cartridge--The .450 MARLIN (long)

Rocky Road

Retired Screen Name
Have any of you heard about the new cartridge that Marlin and Hornady are bringing out?

Just heard from an old friend who participated in field testing of this and the .376 Steyr last weekend. Results were disappointing due to the bullet design. I have every confidence they can straighten this out.

Below is a compilation of e-mails with Jim and my son, which I thought might be informative and stimulating in this forum.
<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

I'm just back from a deer/hog hunt on the Nail Ranch, north of Albany. Hornady Ammunition wanted us to test two new cartridges on game. They were the .450 Marlin...a straight-walled case driving a 350 gr. bullet at 2000 fps, and the .376 Steyr...225 gr. bullet at 2600 fps. I think Jeff Cooper may have had a hand in the .376 Steyr, as it is in his Scout Rifle.

I shot a darn nice 10-point buck with the .450 Marlin (in a Marlin Guide Gun) and this is undoubtedly the first head of game ever taken with the cartridge. Shot a 200 lb pig with the Steyr. Both bullets were way too soft and they need to toughen them up before either cartridge will do for bear or elk.

Quiet weekend, on the creek, planned around here. I'll get some writing done and mostly just lay around. Let me hear from you whenever you have time.
</> </> </> </> </> </> </> </> </> </> </> </> </> </> </> </>
Then I wrote the following to him and was overcome by curiosity and phoned him--got SOME of information but will have to wait on the rest.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Outlaw--

I'm excited for you being on the cutting edge of — of, well, RIFLE(!!) Load development.

Hummmf--I seem to recall some gunscribbler telling me he didn't care about shooting anything with a rifle because they PAY him to shoot stuff with pistols, but not with rifles.

Oh, Well, for chance to be FIRST on game with a new load, I'd probably do a freebie, too.
[Him: THIS Time they pay me.]

QUESTIONS--
Was this a standard Guide Gun? Is that a 16 or 18 inch barrel? Still the four-shot mag?
What kind of sights did they furnish? [Semi buckhorn std--four x scope for this hunt.]

Cartridge--
What is the parent case? What about length? [Apparently new case--possibly of .458 Mag extraction--It has a belt, to keep folks from loading straight case into old trapdoor .45-70s. They
really wanted to market a high powered .45 rifle/carbine but were afraid to advocate use of Garrett and other ctgs which are way, Way, WAY above SAAMI standards. Can't blame them too much. ]

What was headstamp on the cases? You said Hornady sponsored the
shoot, but I am curious. They used to stamp FRONTIER.

Confidentiality--May I tell others or is this in confidence? [No Problem there. ]
/ / / / / / / / / / / /

The load they have, the bullet, anyway, is
way too lightly constructed. Jim described in some detail the shots they
took. He started with the .450 Marlin on Deer, while another writer used
the .376 on deer. Then they swapped off and went for hogs. I think he
said one bullet went thru deer side-to-side. All three other bullets stayed
in the game. I will personally testify that 200-pound feral hawgs are
muy duro, but either of these loads should be able to go all the way thru
such a critter, more especially a deer (they field dressed about 130) from
any angle. Oh, well, that's why they hold field testing. He says that the
recovered bullets were classically rolled back and mushroomed.
I think they needed less classic rollback and more penetration.

I'll bet they're REALLY glad they didn't spring for arrangements at exotic
game concern for big stuff, like nilgi, or, worse still, Cape buff.

Do any of you recall anything on the Scout page or in Coopers Commentaries,
about anybody having actually KILLED anything with the .376 Steyer?

A BELTED straight .45 rifle case seems strange at first glance, but it does make sense, there are a lot of people who would look at a box of over-the-counter ammo, see ".45- 70" and neglect to read all the other cautions. His old--or replica--trap door Springfield is a .45-70. So, he obtains a detonation, and gets a lawyer, and---
you can see why Marlin wouldn't want any of THAT action. I haven't heard of any such problems when someone has to actively seekout specially loaded ammo, like Garrett's, and pay big-bucks-plus-shipping to obtain it.

On the other hand, looks as if Marlin DOES want some of this high power action with their neat big bore carbines. This way they can have off-the-shelf near-magnum performance without exceeding SAAMI specs, because they, and Hornady, get to write a whole new set of SAAMI specs, for a belted case that simply WILL NOT CHAMBER in a .45-70.

That's all I know now. Everyone else in the shooting world will know more than I in a week, but it is kinds interesting, being "in the know" early on. Almost every time I learned of something new early in the game I had to be sworn to secrecy and couldn't tell anyone until it was published.

Best regards--
RR

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

That IS interesting!

The Marlin Guide gun is a direct response to a guy named Jim West of "Wild West Guns" in Anchorage Alaska who began converting standard Marlins to these carbines "Co-Pilots" some years ago for guides here in Alaska.
I was in Wests shop last summer and he is now rechambering Marlins for a longer case, something along the lines of a .45/90 but with much higher pressures than that old round - and it looks like Marlin has again jumped on Wests improvements. Why don't they just hire the guy as a consultant?

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

450 Marlin 350 grn 2000fps?

I have a box of 45-70 350 grn 1800fps. I bought them when I was young and stupid and didn't know that 45-70 came in different loadings. I just thank God I didn't fire it in the old gun I had in mind.

It just seems like another wildcat that delivers the same performance as another existing round. Yeah, you get 200 more fps, at the ranges we're talking I don't think it would make that much difference in the real world.

Well, I guess they have to sell new guns somehow.

Hmmm... Sounds like a rehash of the old .458 Barnes American wildcat. I've seen a few built on short Mauser actions, but not on a Marlin. Could prove interesting. Seems like they should concentrate on a 400 grain bullet, though, if they intend to use this thing on critters that can bite back.....

------------------
Mossyrock
Curmudgeon In Training

Speaking of Mossyrock's guess, Wildcat Cartridges, Volume II features an article where a Winchester 94 'Big Bore' was converted to the .458x2" Barnes American. It clocked 2,100fps with a 350gr bullet.

.458 Barnes American in a Win 94 Big Bore? Can you say "OUCH!!!"? I'll bet THAT is a hoot to shoot!!!! :)

------------------
Mossyrock
Curmudgeon In Training

[This message has been edited by Mossyrock (edited November 23, 1999).]

Rockyroad: Yep, Marlin will have something for us all to see at the SHOT show, and it will be called the 450 Marlin. Should be interesting. However, the comment about Marlin being afraid to recommend Garrett ammo is wrong, indeed, they recommend it frequently in their 45-70s, including to the National Marine Fisheries Service for use against coastal grizzly. When Marlin introduced their ballard rifling, we were the ones who provided the ammo for the hunt that kicked off the new gun. Marlin hosted a wild boar hunt with the new ballard-rifled 1895s, and about a dozen gunwriters took hogs with our ammo, and none recovered a bullet due to complete penetration. Actually we have, at their request, provided ammo for them on numerous occasions, so don't spread the word that they don't like our ammo. Just want to set the record straight.
Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

For Randy Garrett--
thanks for your very civil response to my "new cartridge" posting. I have talked with two or three guys who have first-hand experience with your ammo and they indicate not only respect but AWE for your ammo. I never intended to talk down your products in any way. And, notice, I never mentioned Natl Marine Fisheries. I understand they like your ammo, and issue it, and Marlin's carbines. I NEVER "spread the word they don't like your ammo." One, I figure they do, if they issue it, and two, I have no reason to downplay any of your products. But of course, NMF are something like the military--they issue it, their people use it, end of story. No question of their employees toting along some old relic trapdoor Springfield and getting one of your Hammerhead rounds in place for a traumatic disassembly of same.

Just to be sure, before responding to your response, I went back and checked your website and was correct--You do not advertise the chamber pressures of your ammo, but you DO properly caution against the use of certain rounds in certain types of firearms.

I also checked the only recent loading manual at hand here, the Speer number 12. Their recommended loads for the modern Marlin rifles show to adhere to the 28,000 limit. I understand from your private message that both of your loads exceed this substantially. Apparently, both the
Marine Fisheries AND Marlin Firearms have no problem with this, and, if I were in your business, I would consider this a priceless endorsement.

I understand a lot of rifles use expensive ammo nowadays--Just about all the Weatherbys, and so forth--But MOST normal sporting cartridges can be had $20 a box or less. Special loads for a bit more. And, believe me, under some circumstances, I'd gladly give $2.50 PER SHOT, plus tax, plus shipping. I wonder if Marlin and Hornady/Frontier might be trying to market a high power lever action load for somewhat less money. Do you have any insight into this. I can't believe they have anything personal against you or your company.

Randy, I look forward to the day I regain my health enough to be able to shoot YOUR ammo in a Marlin Guide Gun. Just can't do it in the meantime, but I wish you all the good luck and business success there is. (Anybody want to buy a .338 Win Mag?)

All the best,
RR

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

I live in Kodiak, which is of course home to the big bears. The Marlin Guide Guns are very popular and the load of choice is Garrett. I own a Marlin myself.
I've been rolling my own loads similar to Garretts - a 400 grain LBT flatnose. Garrett loads have recently become available locally "over the counter" and I'll be relegating my handloads to target practice and using his for actual carry.
I know lots of people that use the loads in Marlins and converted "Co-Pilots", they are safe in those guns.
Surely, one of these days someone with a reading comprehension problem will stick a Garrett load in some old relic and the results won't be pretty. Darwin would be pleased.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back