New carry pistol, pocket rocket

Ridgerunner665

Pocket rockets... always understood they have their place in the world, just never liked the idea of depending on something so.....weak.

But, things change, situations change - and we gotta adapt or get left behind.

After my heart attack a while back I've been talking a long look at how I earn my living... I'm a flatbed truck driver, which is and always has been a young man's game (I've come to understand that I'm no longer a young man) ... the hours are long (12-18 hour days), the work is hard (lifting 160 pound tarps, throwing chains over loads, etc.), and it's outside in the 100+ degree heat or below 0 cold, depending on the season.

I'm too old and uneducated to change... so... I'm going to get some help... I'm going to become a driver trainer and see if I can teach these new kids a thing or two.

Hence the pocket rocket... having someone in the truck with me 2-4 weeks at a time means no more conventional carry, it's gotta stay truly hidden and out of sight...100%, all the time.... the company has no rules or policies against carrying, but I figure it's best kept out of sight and out of mind.

After weeks of research I settled on the M&P Bodyguard 380 without the integrated laser...lots of people love that gun, lots also hate it.... the trigger has a very long, very heavy pull that most folks just don't like.

I figure a true pocket pistol should have just such a trigger to be truly safe, it took some practice but I got used to it.

The gun has been 100% reliable and is way more accurate than it should be for what it is (something a lot of people who hated it still also noted about it).

Carried in a Sticky Holster it just disappears into the front pocket of my work pants (Dickies, Carhartts, Wranglers).

I'd feel better with my M&P 9mm, but that's a no go... the Glock 43 and Sig P365 are too big for "me" to hide in a pocket (others say they can).

The little M&P Bodyguard is a cute little thing, kinda like a puppy, lol....I didn't choose it based on looks, but it is in my opinion the best looking of the polymer micro pistols.

Oh well, it beats a sharp stick anyways.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

I carry a "Pocket Rocket" most of the time, my go to is a Ruger LCP Max in a wallet holster.

Attachments

• 23. LCP MAX.jpg
    23. LCP MAX.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I firmly believe that everyone who carries should have a pocket pistol of one sort or another. While it's certainly true that a bigger gun is better once the shooting starts, none of that makes a lick of difference if you don't have the gun with you when you need it. Anyone who carries a gun is likely to eventually find themselves in a situation where having a gun is prohibited by company/venue policy, looked down upon socially, or simply impractical and/or inconvenient. Likewise, I've known a lot of people who looked down their noses at small handguns, but would only routinely carry their full-sized gun in a purse, backpack, or vehicle if at all. Frankly, the methods necessary to carry a bigger gun are often uncomfortable and inconvenient and I think it shows a degree of maturity to be honest enough with one's self to admit that you can't or won't do it day in and day out. As the old adage goes, the .38 snubby or .380 in your pocket will always be better than the .45 you left at home because it's too big and cumbersome to carry.

If it works for you and meets your needs that's fantastic. Personally I can't stand the things. Recoil seems excessive for a 380, and the trigger is terrible imho. But again, what is important is that it works for you. Please make sure you practice regularly. Monthly would be ideal IMHO, but at least try and shoot a 50rnd box quarterly, spring summer, winter fall. I know they are not fun to shoot, but thats why you need practice.

I put 200 rounds through it yesterday, mostly WWB but also some Hornady Critical Defense.

I don't find it hard to shoot, just different... it's not a Glock 19 or M&P 9 2.0.

After some practice, I can make rapid 15 yard hits on an 8 inch steel gong just fine...maybe not as rapid as with my M&P 9 2.0, but still pretty rapid.

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with a pocket rocket. I am retired and 70 years old and really don't have a need for a pocket rocket. I just keep carrying my Glock 26 IWB and keep on truckin'.

Joe

You should take a look at a Kahr; PM9, MK9 or K9. The PM9 and MK9 are just a little larger than the S&W and in 9mm. I admit I don't need deep concealment often but when I do these are my go-to pieces.

Me too!!!

I have a Kel Tec P3AT. Smaller than the palm of my hand. Goes in a sticky holster in a pocket when I have to dress up, wear a tie etc. It goes to the range a couple times a year but only sees two or three mag fulls down range. That little sucker starts to hurt my hand after a dozen rounds or so.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I think Kahr no longer has a place.

While the LCP and PM9 appear the same on paper...here is my P3AT vs my CM9
Nj6cBocm.jpg

The reason the Kahr has no place in my mind is the P365 is just overall better in all regards...here is my LCP and one of my P365s. Point point, the LCP, as much as I don't like somethings about it, is the #1 pocket gun.
QIxbBTHm.jpg

nJrNlm8m.jpg

I have a Kel Tec P3AT. Smaller than the palm of my hand. Goes in a sticky holster in a pocket when I have to dress up, wear a tie etc. It goes to the range a couple times a year but only sees two or three mag fulls down range. That little sucker starts to hurt my hand after a dozen rounds or so.

Life is good.
Prof Young
My experience with Kel-tec P32 was why I have zero interest in the micro .380 or 9mm polymer pistols. When .32acp is uncomfortable I figured there was no way I would practice enough with the larger calibers.

Apex Tactical I believe sells trigger upgrades for the Bodyguard. I agree that its felt recoil and sights beat the original LCP, though the Max has upgraded sights now also.

Pocket rockets... always understood they have their place in the world, just never liked the idea of depending on something so.....weak.

But, things change, situations change - and we gotta adapt or get left behind.

After my heart attack a while back I've been talking a long look at how I earn my living... I'm a flatbed truck driver, which is and always has been a young man's game (I've come to understand that I'm no longer a young man) ... the hours are long (12-18 hour days), the work is hard (lifting 160 pound tarps, throwing chains over loads, etc.), and it's outside in the 100+ degree heat or below 0 cold, depending on the season.

I'm too old and uneducated to change... so... I'm going to get some help... I'm going to become a driver trainer and see if I can teach these new kids a thing or two.

Hence the pocket rocket... having someone in the truck with me 2-4 weeks at a time means no more conventional carry, it's gotta stay truly hidden and out of sight...100%, all the time.... the company has no rules or policies against carrying, but I figure it's best kept out of sight and out of mind.

After weeks of research I settled on the M&P Bodyguard 380 without the integrated laser...lots of people love that gun, lots also hate it.... the trigger has a very long, very heavy pull that most folks just don't like.

I figure a true pocket pistol should have just such a trigger to be truly safe, it took some practice but I got used to it.

The gun has been 100% reliable and is way more accurate than it should be for what it is (something a lot of people who hated it still also noted about it).

Carried in a Sticky Holster it just disappears into the front pocket of my work pants (Dickies, Carhartts, Wranglers).

I'd feel better with my M&P 9mm, but that's a no go... the Glock 43 and Sig P365 are too big for "me" to hide in a pocket (others say they can).

The little M&P Bodyguard is a cute little thing, kinda like a puppy, lol....I didn't choose it based on looks, but it is in my opinion the best looking of the polymer micro pistols.

Oh well, it beats a sharp stick anyways.

Looks like a good option. I carry a Glock 42 in my front pocket. I agree 43 is too big. You can get some hot 380 ammo now that will do the job.

I put the M&P 2.0 9mm back on today, first time in a few weeks... after handling the Bodyguard 380 for all that time the 2.0 feels like a Desert Eagle in my hand

I have carried a Keltec PF9 since they were first issued. The gun is in 9mm and about the same size as most pocket .380's. It has been flawless in operation and is very accurate for over 3000 rounds. Here is mine in the worn pocket holster I have carried it in.
IMG_5842.JPG

Back