New BPP Project

Schlitz 45

New Pistol Project

Picked up a Lyman .54 Plains Pistol kit. Should be a great project to keep me occupied for a while & it will go well with my .54 Hawken riffle.
QQi1xKzl.jpg

Its going to take a lot of draw filing to get all the stupid warnings stamped into the barrel but I want it to look like a period pistol as much as possible. Planning on a plumb brown metal finish. Has a belt hook to make it easy to carry too.

Last edited:
That's some pretty wood in those pistols Oliver. Mine seems to have a nice but average grain, just have to wait & see how much it pops.
I looked at a lot of finished pistols & all them have the same simple smooth shaped grips so I decided to sculpt mine to fit my hand for a different look. Got the draw filing done to remove the stupid warnings & such on three of the flats-wasn't as bad as I've had to do in the past as they weren't stamped but laser engraved & came out relatively easy. Got the rough sand cast brass trigger guard cleaned up & polished. Now just a lot of polishing, fitting, sanding & final assembly before I break out the stain & plumb brown bluing.
kiaVe6al.jpg

TiGFv8zl.jpg

Did the final assembly today & I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Will test fire & adjust sights as needed this weekend. Should be a fun shooter :)
HU1GmO9l.jpg

zzL254Ml.jpg

My Compliments

Schlitz
From what I can see, your fit, finish and embellishments are very super. I suspect you are not new to "Kit"' assembly. I'm not seeing the usual "Kit" mistakes that too many folks make. Currently I'm redoing a "Trapper" That I dare not show. Even though 4V50 Gary just loves these it's still worth my time to "Try" and make it right !!!

Be Safe !!!

Good lookin' pistol Dave-I like the modern flat trigger. I have shot but never owned flintlocks but they sure look cool & you never have to buy primers.

Back