New BP Revolver

Kvon2

Picked up a Pietta 1860 Army this week and am very excited about it!

I think I have most of what I need to get it out to the range next weekend but I did have one question. Im seeing a lot of conflicting views on using wads. I saw they were inexpensive but couldn't find any at gander mountain today. I could order them but I don't need anything else and don't really want to pay shipping for something so inexpensive.

My question is, do I really need them? I understand it decreases the risk of chain fires. My revolver is chambered in .44 and I'll be using .454 round balls and my understanding is that should make a pretty solid seal.

What are your guy's thoughts?

Measure each cylinder to be sure
As long as you are shaving off a ring of lead when the ball is rammed down, you should be fine. If you still feel uncomfortable, put some lube on each cylinder.

I use lubed wads or lube cookies above the powder and under the ball keep fouling down. More shoots before cleaning when shooting. Black powder fouls your gun rather quickly without lube of some kind.

I have had only one chain fire in 50 years of shooting cap and ball revolvers and that was back in 1970 when I was using no lube of any kind (most of us had never heard of using lube at the time).

Lube over the ball is generally messy because most people use way too much. I prefer a lubed wad under it but a lube cookie under it works well also.

In the mid 1800's nobody used a wad or lube over the projectile...

I shot plenty of cylinders without a lubed wad (after I made my own) and all was just fine.

Make sure you use the right caps. IMHO, caps falling off under recoil accounts for the most chainfires. It's also MHO that chainfires are not that big a deal. It will surprise you, but they aren't particularly destructive.

I've got one that will chain if you don't use a wad or lube but it won't if you leave five caps off and do use a wad or lube.

Normally I use lube over or mostly wads now.
I picked up another 1858 this spring and figured I'd give no lube and no wads a try. The caps fit on very tight and the balls all shaved off a nice ring. I had zero issues and shot the gun until it got too dirty to rotate the cylinder. I will have no qualms in the future if I have to shoot without wads of grease, BUT i will be using them no the less. The fouling is much softer using some kind of lube and I can stay out shooting longer.

Make up a lube cookies and smash them down atop the balls before firing for the first time. This will prevent chainfires and make for a smooth shot down the bore.

I shot plenty of cylinders without a lubed wad (after I made my own) and all was just fine.
Really? I have tried it without grease and the cylinder would not turn after 6 shots with Pyrodex:confused:

Sure they used wads. If they didn't Colt wouldn't have advised against their use. Some used wax over the balls, probably more for waterproofing but still used.

Right Hawg, and we need to keep in mind that in the 19th Century, they would load their revolvers for use later, then in an emergency, fire it then clean it and reload for use next time. No shooting a 100 rounds at the range like we do.

"Really? I have tried it without grease and the cylinder would not turn after 6 shots with Pyrodex"

Ruger Old Army and using Triple 7. I got away from using a ball in my cap n ball pistols after I got a custom mold from Accurate around the time I got my Remington NMA.

"Sure they used wads. If they didn't Colt wouldn't have advised against their use. Some used wax over the balls, probably more for waterproofing but still used."

Though it's been some time I had been reading a thread in a traditional forum stating that wads are a 21st century accessory, and that there is no documentation in military usage of such.

Also Colt himself dementrated how his revolver could be loaded and placed in a tub of water while he discussed his pistol without any wax or other sealant and would discharge each chamber afterwards. But then that's not a lube either. None of the conicals I've seen even came with a lube groove, though I've certainly not researched this extensively. My understanding is that lubes weren't used until the cartridge days.

If wads were used prior to the 21st century I'd certainly like to see it.

Wads abounded in the 20th century :D If you need proof they were used in the 19th century look at the loading procedures outlined in presentation cases of the time.

BTW, in the old days instead of a wad we used rancid cornmeal or farina as a filler between the powder and the ball. Feed the wildlife while you shoot. :p

By saying not to use them that would mean they were well known.

epgbno.jpg

Back