New Bolt Action. Savage Mk 2 vs. Marlin XT-22

eeksplee

Inactive
I want to get a cheap new .22 bolt action for plinking, and just for beating around the woods. I Want a Savage Mark 2 F or a Marlin XT 22R. I know these guns are pretty similar, but I want to know what other people think about each one, so I can get a take on what owners think about them before I actually buy one.

Thanks.

Before anyone mentions it (because I know it will happen), I already have a CZ

Hello eeksplee,,,

I was in a new gun-shop the other day,,,
I got to handle both of the rifles you are asking about.

One of them had a stock that was so weird,,,
I couldn't get a good cheek weld,,,
And still see the iron sights.

The other fit just fine.

Unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me,,,
Which rifle fit me and which didn't.

So my advise is to pick them both up and feel the fit,,,
One will fit you very nicely,,,
The other one will not.

Aarond

I have a Marlin 981T that I think is the predecessor to the XT. It is dead on accurate and a value. I am pretty sure I paid less than $200 for it and am thoroughly satisfied with it. The tube magazine is great too.

I have the Savage MKII FV-SR and it's awesome. I paid $200 shipped from Buds about 4 months ago, and the cheapest I can find it now is $270. It's got a Simmons 22mag scope ($30) that shoots oreo-sized groups with Winchester bulk hollow-points at 100yds in a 10kt crosswind. I can't wait to put some good ammo through it and head out on a calm day.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/975/products_id/71899

I highly recommend a threaded barrel. Apparently the ATF is very on-board with reducing the wait-time for Class3 stuff, hiring (I read they are tripling) new staff with a goal of 1 month turnaround. As soon as they're on track, I'm getting into the suppressor game.

The accutrigger setup is a nice bonus and you can get 10rd mags from CDNN on sale for $12... buy when they're having a "$4.99 for your whole order" shipping deal and stock up on whatever else you need.

71899.jpg

Last edited:
Back