New Beretta Jetfire

Doug S

I may regret it, but I just purchased a new stainless jetfire. I previously owned the Bobcat, but I got rid of it because I couldn't get a clip full of ammo through the gun without a jam. I've been looking for pocket gun and really like the looks and feel of the Beretta. After doing a search of the archives it seems that overall Jetfire owners are pleased with their guns. In contrast almost all of the feedback on the Bobcat was negative. I considered the P32 (and I may do so again in the future) but I didn't want to be the 10th person on the wait list at the local gun store.

Hey Doug, you won't have any regrets :)

I have the same pistol. It is a great little pistol to have around as an "extra added attraction" for the bad guy. I have added some Beretta walnut grips that originally were being put on the "EL" model (now discontinued) that the factory was selling for $50.00 a pair. I bought them on Auction Arms for $25.00, NIB. The walnut looks great with the stainless. I started out shooting Winchester FMJ, went to Fiocchi FMJ, and now use the fine Hornady XTP hollow point or Magsafe round as carry loads. I've never had a stoppage. People will tell you that a .25 cal Jetfire is nothing but a noise maker. Don't believe them. I did the little test that Magsafe suggests on the package. It produces a really bad wound.
Congrats on your new Jetfire! I was the only one here with a stainless model. Now there are two of us!

Kentucky Rifle

Hi Kentucky Rifle, Thanks for the info. Your previous posts played a big part in my decision to purchase the Jetfire. I hope I'm as happy with mine and you are with yours. I'll be shooting it for the first time this weekend, and I'll post the results.

Doug

The first thing you'll notice when your fire your new Jetfire is that the recoil from a .25ACP is greater than a .22 rimfire. A few nights ago, I was reading a magazine article (I wish I could remember where), where the author said that he had never had a malfunction in a Jetfire. Beretta has been making Jetfires for a long time. You should be OK with your purchase. Let me know.

Will

This is not a slam on anyone's preference -- I'm just looking for some information. I never could figure out how the Jetfire could be an effective pocket pistol as a single action. The Tomcat I can see, but the Jetfire you'd have to:
1. Carry condition 1 and engage the tiny thumb safety (cocked/locked)

2. carry condition 2 and thumb cock to fire (half-cock optional, I guess)

3. carry condition 3 and rack the little slide to fire.

These all seem somewhat inferior to DA or DAO for a pocket pistol. If you really have to resort to this weapon, you'll probably be squirming on the ground with a bad guy who's about to either cut your throat or shoot you with your own primary weapon. None of the above carry modes sound viable, with the possible exception of Cond 1, but I wouldn't want to trust a thumb safety in a pocket.

Any input would be appreciated, guys.

I got my Jetfire after trying the Tomcat, Guardian, P32 and NAA Minis. All of the above are fine guns, but the Jetfire is the best of the bunch. It doesn't have the ballistics of the .32 mouseguns, and my Jetfire is kind of battered and has wear on the finish, but I like it better than any of its newer mousegun competitors. It's small, slim, attractive, easy to shoot, has usable (if small) sights, and functions better than its predecessors. That's all I ask of my pocket gun, and the Jetfire fits the bill. The P32 may be lighter and slimmer, but the Jetfire fits my hand better. The .32s may have more muzzle energy, but the .25 will kill you dead enough if you catch one in the wrong spot.

There's a reason why the Jetfire still sells well after 30 years on the market...it's the original and quintessential mousegun.

I took the Jetfire out today for the first time. The local True Value hardware store only had cheap practice ammo. I purchased a box of Remington UMC ball ammo. I was extremely pleased with this little pistol. I must admit that I was expecting the worst after my previous experience with a Beretta pocket pistol (Bobcat). To my surprise the Jetfire went through the fifty rounds without any problem. The gun was accurate and there was little recoil.

In answer to Glock Tiger, I bought this pistol because because I wanted a fun little plinker that I could easily carry in my pocket. I like the size and style of the little Beretta. I previously owned the Bobcat, but was very disappointed with it. I could not get through a single magazine without a jam regardless of what ammo I used. I've considered the Tomcat, but was hesitant about this one because of the large number of negative comments I've read on this pistol. To be honest I don't feel very comfortable carrying any auto with one in the tube (I have small children). I prefer a revolver for this reason. I've seen posts on this forum discussing this issue, and although I know this can be a safe option, I still prefer not to carry in this manner. I may be putting myself at more risk, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'm not sure about the comment about not carrying one in the pipe of a semi-auto, yet you feel a revolver is "all right". A DAO semi-auto, such as the Keltec P32, and a DA revolver have the same operation with one in the pipe. Pull the trigger, and it discharges a bullet. What makes the revolver "safer"?

johnwill,

I was trying not to type an extremely long post (previous post) and kinda thought I might receive a question such as yours. I understand that a DA mechanism works the same in a revolver as an auto, and I did not mean to insinuate that the trigger mechanism on an autoloader was anymore likely to be pulled than one on a revolver. What I meant is that I can carry the hammer down over an empty cylinder in my revolver. It's just a little quirk of mine. I have friends who carry also, and I just don't feel comfortable having my young children standing next to a pistol or revolver with a bullet in the barrell. Illogical maybe, but I just can't seem to overcome this. Also I should probably add that although I do have my carry permit, I don't carry on a daily basis. I usually carry while hiking or while doing other outdoor hobbies (metal detecting) in remote places (i.e., snakes, dogs, etc). I would hope that in these situations I would be aware enough of my surrounding to manipulate the slide of an autoloader, but as I said in my previous post, I do understand that this could put me at a higher risk.

The Jetfire is at least 34 years old...my sales receipt is from June 1967, for $46.27. The price included one new Jetfire and 50 rounds of Remington ammo.

Hey, Doug...

Told you so! My stainless Jetfire is what I carry around the house. I think it's a great little pistol. A lot of times the Jetfire is in my pocket while my Glock 27 is on my hip. Now that I have gotten my new Seecamp straightened out (different ammo cured the keyholing problem), sometimes I carry the Glock on my hip, the Jetfire in my front pocket, and the Seecamp in my rear pocket in one of RJ Hedley's excellent back pocket holsters. :)
(And an auto folder hidden elsewhere.) :) Murders in my end of town lately. :( Don't want to be caught without the tools to fight back.

Kentucky Rifle

Doug S said:

"I understand that a DA mechanism works the same in a revolver as an auto, and I did not mean to insinuate that the trigger mechanism on an autoloader was anymore likely to be pulled than one on a revolver. What I meant is that I can carry the hammer down over an empty cylinder in my revolver."

FWIW, If you carry your revolver that way, a trigger pull still gets you a bang, since that will rotate the cylinder to a live round. Once again, I have to say that having small children around shouldn't even enter into this conversation! The gun should most CERTAINLY be put where there is no chance they would get ahold of it if it's not in your pocket.

If you're carrying so that a trigger pull will result in a soft "click" the first time, you are seriously comprising the utility of your defensive gun. If you ever need to shoot, do you really want the BG to get the first shot by default?

Johnwill, I think we are talking about two different things. When I alluded to feeling safer when I carry my revolver with the hammer over an empty cylinder I was thinking of an accidental drop or something of that nature. When I mentioned small children I was just stating my discomfort at having my childs face right next to a friends pocket who has a loaded handgun with a bullet loaded in the chamber. Illogical I'm sure, as I said above it's just a little quirk of mine. I do realize this is usually perfectly safe in handguns of modern design. As I carry more often maybe I'll become more comfortable with this method of carry. Also in reference to your comment about small children, I do keep my firearms locked in one of two safes at all times. I would not argue with any of the facts that you've presented. Getting back to the original purpose of my post, I just wanted to say that I'm very satisfied with my Jetfire, and I think it's a great little gun.

Doug

Back