New Bench setup

Savagehawg

I have been using my Dads loading setup because i have never had the space at my house, well i do now. He uses a rcbs he bought some 30 years ago, well im going to purchase my own now and I am also looking at a RCBS Rock Chucker kit, I notice they have a new press called a Rebel and was wondering has anyone used it or what would you suggest i look at, dont really know about any other brands never used them.

Thanks

An Opinion

I can't comment about the RCBS Rebel press but I've owned a Rockchucker for over 30 years. The Rockchucker is simple and strong. Parts will be everywhere for a long time. I ruined the threads on it that takes the dies a month ago and phoned RCBS. They sent me a replacement part for free! I own an accessory to make it into a progressive press. It's okay and needs to be directed at times to cycle but will load faster than a single stage press. So, if I every wanted to crank out a lot of pistol bullets, I could attach this unit.

I have a Rockchucker II. It’s a really good machine for the majority of loading needs. I use it for my rifle cartridges.

Hornady LnL progressive. I love it. You can crank out rounds pretty efficiently once you get set up.

I also have a Hornady LnL single stage press. It is made of cast aluminum. It works well, but...I use the Lee rotary case trimmer which mounts in the press. Apparent, some brass shavings found their way between the press housing and the operating ram/rod. This bound up the press. I sent it back to Hornady and they replaced the ram at no charge. This is why I bought the Rockchucker. I now use the single stage LnL for my handgun loading when not using my progressive press.

Looks like the Rebel press, is just a beefier version of the Rock Chucker Supreme press, and has a taller clearance for longer cartridges. Which is not a big deal for me probably longest i will reload for is 7mm Rem Mag. Also looks so new its not even on the shelves yet so I will go with the Rock Chucker Supreme :)

MEC Marksman is a great choice too now days. Although how much better than a Rockchucker is it? About the same I’d guess.

Deciding on what press to buy depends on what your loading, if your going to load rifle cartridges like 7mag and 30-06 you can't go wrong with a standard rockchucker but if the biggest thing your going to load is 223/5.56 and pistol cartridges you would do well to buy a Dillon 550 if your budget allows it.

Back