New barrel lining up?

Grant 14

In re-barreling a rifle, how do you get the iron sights to line up? Threads are not always the exact length to come out correctly. When I hand screw the barrel in, it stops about a 1/16 turn too far. When torqued it will go farther and I am wondering how you deal with this. This is one job I am going to have a professional do, but I am curious about how it is done. Thanks, ahead of time. Grant.

I had not given any thought to a crush washer, but that might be the ticket. That is going to be a couple of months away, so I have time to think about it. Thanks, Grant.

Having the sights line up is only part of the task. If a revolver there’s barrel cylinder gap and in a rifle there’s head space. Best let a smith do the work.

This is for a Low Wall Winchester barrel that is being relined to 38 SPc and will go onto a receiver that it didnt come off of. The machinist that will do most of the work does a lot of work for local gunsmiths and I have used him before for aviation things. I have complete faith in his work, but I was wondering about the line up issue. I do remember that my father, who was a gunsmith, had a lot of brass shim stock. It may have been for this sort of thing. It will be a couple of months before I take it to the machinist. Grant

Back