New Barrel install in M48

deerslayer303

Is it difficult to find a gunsmith nowdays to do an install of a new barrel? I have a brand new M48 Barrel and one of these days I will find a nice M48 in need of a new barrel. Why did I buy the barrel? LOL, well because it was chump change and BRAND NEW, how often do you see a new barrel for Mil surp rifles? :D Call me crazy but my mouse just automatically clicked on ADD TO CART as soon as I saw it. LOL

Simple operation.
Disassemble firearm.
Remove barrel.
Measure shank depth (front of receiver to C ring minus .002").
Turn down barrel and thread it.
Check for headspace and adjust shank accordingly.
Reassemble rifle.

deerslayer303, I was going throught a few barrels, most for mausers. I found one that was exceptinal, the riflings were different. First thought, chamber to 8mm06. Then I decided I would install it like it is. A barrel that looks as good as this one has to be a shooter. The bad part, I do not have a Mauser with a bad barrel, meaning I will have to use a receiver without a barrel.

I will not:

Disassemble firearm.
Remove barrel.
Measure shank depth (front of receiver to C ring minus .002").
Turn down barrel and thread it.
Check for headspace and adjust shank accordingly

Out of 12 receivers I will find one that fits the barrel shank and allows me to set the length of the chamber from the datum/shoulder to the bolt face. If I decide to go with the 8mm06 chamber I will cut the chamber to go-gage length. That is .005" longer than a minimum length sized case.

F. Guffey

Should have mentioned

I chamber the barrel before assembling. If I go too deep, that's when the shank is adjusted or if not deep enough, then remove the barrel and ream it out some more.

Deerslayer303, I do not know of a smith in your area. If you purchased the barrel for a good price there is no down side. If the barrel has sights and or small screw holes for sights indexing the barrel will be required.

I will not assume you have a plan for installing the barrel without help.

F. Guffey

Oh no, I won't attempt such a job on my own. The barrel is a raw unfinished barrel packed in greease. No sights, no blueing. Etc. I suppose I should unpack it and see if it has holes for sights etc.

Back