New baby coming home.

Ed Dixon

I tried to do this before, if it repeats I'm sorry. I've been huntin' since a kid, shoot a C&B Uberti repro I love, but have never had a wheelgun that ate smokeless. MY VACQUERO CAME IN TODAY AND I PICK IT UP TOMORROW! (After I get my wife at the airport.) Sorry if this sounds weak and tyro, but any hints, suggestions, or advice regarding my new family member. Care, cleaning, tune up, etc.? I've heard a lot of folks love the gun but at least have to have some trigger work done. I've already ordered a holster from San Pedro Saddler and am interested in CAS, SASS, etc. Don't know how to phrase it, but don't want to miss anything.

Care for it as you would any proper gun. A lot of SASS shooters put in spring kits. They change the mainspring (lighter to make the hammer easier to cock) a lighter trigger spring and a heavier cylinder pin retaining spring. The one thing with the Vaqueros is that sometimes the cylinder pin will jump forward during recoil and that will tie up the gun. So a heavier spring in the cross bolt will stop that. Mind you, I shoot SASS , and use Vaqueros. Mine are 100% stock, and give me no trouble. I have 7 of them. The only other thing is that they load a little funny. If you turn the cylinder until you hear the click, like you would a Colt, you have done gone too far. Either get used to it, or get a Powers free spin pawl, and then you can turn the cylinder either direction when the load gate is open.

Grips

A nice set of engraved imitation ivory grips really would set off that whole package. Ya see, I know this guy...

.45 Colt?

250gr cast bullet & 35gr FFG!

Who needs or wants that smokeless stuff when you can use the real gunpowder? :D

If you are going to stay with the real gunpowder in that cartridge gun, do not use petroleum oils or lubricants on that gun. Use Ballistol instead.

Back