New Baby... Any help with some questions?

Matt Wallis

Hey Everybody,

I recently recieved as a gift an old, somewhat rusted T/C Renegade in .54 Caliber. It has a Leupold scope mounted on it as well.

I sent away for the owners manual (and have since recieved it) so I could figure out how to clean it and get it "shootable" again. Unfortunately, the manual left me with some questions. For cleaning it said to remove the barrel and wash it in warm soapy water. I'm used to this from my '51 Navy, so no surprises there. But for the rest it just said to remove the nipple and wipe it down?!

Now, there's quite a bit of rust and maybe fouling (it's hard to tell) on the area around the hammer and nipple. Plus, from the feel of the trigger, the internal works need a good lubing as well. But wait, that's not all! There's also the scope. How do I clean the barrel with the scope on there? Do I need to remove it, or can I just, sort of, clean around it? What should I do here, fellas?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Wallis

I'd remove the lock and run hot, soap water over it and scrub it with a toothbrush. Place in oven to dry (or if you live in a hot climate, out in the sun) and then oil. The wood where the lock fits should be wiped down. With a toothbrush (or even a brass wire brush), scrub the hammer face clean of rust. A light coat of oil will protect it (be sure to wipe down before taking it to the range).

I'm not sure how the trigger is installed, but if it's not removable, then insert a wet Q-tip into the hole where the trigger engages the sear and wipe down the trigger.

Regarding the barrel, I'd leave the scope on and scrub the barrel. Just go slow so as not to get water onto the scope (there's scope covers that fit over the entire scope - you may want to look into that).

You may also want to get a brand new stainless nipple if the old one is shot and rusted out. Don't forget to clean the threads.

A pitted barrel can shoot well - it's just harder to clean because of all the pores that trap the fouling.

More Details

Everything already said still applies, but some amplification . . .

Remove the barrel and nipple from the barrel. Put end of the barrel in a pail of hot soapy water so the threads for the nipple are under water. Proceed to go in and out the barrel with a patch on the cleaning jag, until you patches stay as clean as the water.

One final rinse with very hot water, dry and lube. If a tight patch being sent down the bore seems to snag, then I suggest running some scotch brite pads with oil on them up and down the bore to smooth out any corrosion.

Scotch bright pads will usually clean up any external rust also.

Holler if you need more silly ideas;)

JPM

You might try a trick used by flintlock shooters who don't want to take the barrels out of their fullstock rifles. Simply take some rubber tubing that will just slip over the nipple and put the other end of it in a coffee can full of hot water. Pour a bit of the hot water down the bore followed by a tight fitting patch and jag. The suction of the pumping action will draw water through the tube into the bore. The result, little spillage of water and a clean bore. Simply keep changing the water and the patches until the water comes out clean.

Back