New at the .44 mag....

Sprky222

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

OK got that out of the way, I currently load .45-70, .45 colt, .308 Winchester,
.243 Winchester, and .223 Remington. I recently purchased a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag. I already had a 4 5/8"Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag but didn't really burn through the ammo like I have been since I bought the lever gun.

I ordered a set of dies, a pound of "ENFORCER", 100 Barnes 225 gr. XPBs, after reading Barnes loading data on their site it lists these bullets as 1455 fps out of a 10 1/2 inch bbl over 20.0 gr of Enforcer. I am looking to build a load that'll shoot well from both guns. I am afraid I bought components without soliciting information from someone with a little more experience in this caliber. Any information would be helpful.

Sprky

The good news is 44 is super easy to load for and very versatile.

I shoot ENFORCER and No11FS mainly along with win296. They are all good. Start with a starting load and work up. I mostly shoot start loads as they are generally spot on and another 50 fps isn't gonna matter much.

Not 100% sure what your question is, but your components are a fine choice and will work great.

Hogdgon has data for that bullet and powder combo and 20g is a max charge so I'd start a little lower.

https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/

Thanks Disseminator. I guess my question is...Do you feel this combination of components will work well in a 4 5/8" as well as a 20" barrel? Also, after reading Barnes reloading data it lists the 20.0 gr loading as a starting load with 22 grains as a max load.

Last edited:
Interesting, I pulled out my Western Reloading Guide and it's the same as Hodgdon Data in listing 20g as max FWIW.

Your combo will work fine. You should see 300-400 fps more in the rifle.

Enforcer is faster than H110/W296 and it lights easier even though it is a true ball powder. You still should use a mag primer. Enforcer (AA4100) is my favorite 44mag powder.
Your load will run in your rifle fine. Your rifle likely has a max COL for reliable feeding - which shouldn't be a problem until you want to shoot 300+gr cast bullets.
Might be a good idea to check that your crimp holds (bullet setback) in the Henry.
Speaking of crimp, either the Lee Collet (my fave) or the Lee FCD will make you job easier.

Look at 240 LSWC bullets and Unique for a good dual purpose load.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101077555/?pid=150058

Unique won't give max speeds in the rifle for hunting but it will be plenty stout for punching holes in stuff and you won't have to load them to 1800fps for consistency. 1400 to 1500fps out of the rifle with Unique and maybe 1200 to 1250fps out of your pistol. 44 mag is an expensive plinker especially with Barn's XPBs. That Enforcer is really best with full house jacketed loads and bullets today get expensive quickly at $30/100 for most jacketed choices
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010865576?pid=224132

I am looking to build a load that'll shoot well from both guns.

A fine goal, but one that you need to realize might not be possible.

take a look at the twist rates in both your rifle and pistol. IF they are different then finding ONE load that does well in both might not be a simple or easy task.

Then there is also the individual guns and their preferences. Even otherwise identical guns can show a marked preference for one load combination over another.

You may find your rifle likes one thing and your pistol does not, or vice versa.

It depends on your expectations. I’ve worked up what I call reasonably accurate loads in both .357 mag and.41 mag in my Henry’s that work reasonably well in my pistols. Here’s my criteria, for the rifles 4MOA or better and 6” or better groups at 20 yds in the pistols. For me this is practical and easily attainable. This is using iron sights and my tired old eyes. My expectations would have been more stringent 30 years ago.

Sprky222 said:
I guess my question is...Do you feel this combination of components will work well in a 4 5/8" as well as a 20" barrel? Also, after reading Barnes reloading data it lists the 20.0 gr loading as a starting load with 22 grains as a max load.

As 44 AMP said, it depends on the twist rate and also on the bullet. Your Super Blackhawk and Big Boy both have 20" twists, I believe, and the Barnes is a solid bullet, so you don't need to worry about excessive spin distorting them. It can affect accuracy adversely if a bullet has any flaw in the uniformity of its mass distribution, but I don't think you'll have an issue with that. Indeed, you should be able to shoot hard-cast bullets just fine in both guns, especially if they have gas checks.

If your concern is how the powder burns in different barrel lengths, forget about it. Figure that by the time the bullet has moved about an inch in the rifle barrel and about 2 inches of the revolver barrel, it will have passed its pressure peak and will be burning remaining powder. That ongoing burn will produce some muzzle flash and blast in the shorter revolver barrel that the longer rifle barrel covers up much better, but other than velocity, that's usually about it for the differences. The same powder that produces maximum velocity in your revolver will also produce maximum velocity in the Henry, though the revolver maximum will be lower, of course.

Revolvers can sometimes retard the burning of slower powders, with their cylinder throats being the equivalent of a long freebore that bleeds bypass gas out of the barrel/cylinder gap. That bleed-off gets bigger as the bullet base clears the cylinder face, exposing powder gases to the gap. That puts a momentary hiccup in the powder burn and its pressure curve. In snub nose designs, this can lead irregular combustion and a correspondingly large velocity variation, but I don't recall seeing the issue in revolver barrels of three inches and longer.

Hodgdon, unlike Barnes, has access to data powder for the products it makes. Barnes, like all the bullet makers who publish data, will have bought their test powder off the shelf and will have no way of knowing whether the lot they bought is average or is on the upper or lower side of the burn rate tolerance that Hodgdon maintains. Also, there are two different handgun Velocity & Pressure barrel designs for 44 Magnum in the SAAMI standard. One has a 0.008" vent to mimic a revolver barrel/cylinder gap, followed by 4" of barrel, while the other is an 8.275" barrel with no vent that mimics a single-shot pistol. Barnes mentions an 8" barrel, and we don't know what it was. Since that's not a SAAMI standard length, it suggests development in a commercial chamber and barrel, which would lower pressure a bit, and combined with having a slower burn rate lot of powder, it could combine to account for the 11% maximun load difference. We'd have to talk to them to find out about the test conditions. SAAMI standard V&P barrels have a chamber and headspace that is within 0.0005" of minimum to provide worst-case pressure. Hodgdon used the 8.275" V&P barrel for pressure testing, as it tends to maximize pressure without the vent (gives worst-case pressure).

Since you want to load for the Henry, which is closer to the barrel design used by Hodgdon (closed breech and no vent), and since Hodgdon can control burn rate they use for testing, I would follow Hodgdon's loads, and if you want to work up to the Barnes loads in your revolver, let that be a separate issue. Keep in mind that none of the published charge differences would cause pressures to reach proof load level, so using the lower Hodgdon limit is not a matter of avoiding a gun blow-up, but more that hotter loads wear forcing cones and throats and other such things faster than cooler ones do. You can work up as you choose, of course, but I like to make things last, myself. If you only shoot it a few times a year, you may conclude what to do differently.

Just as an added tidbit, I would point out that guns that are fired with proof loads SURVIVE that pressure, undamaged, or they don't get sold to the public.

Since they did it once, odds are low they won't survive it again, but no one knows how long (round count) they will continue to do so, as they aren't made for that. And, of course, exceeding proof load levels puts you off the map, and "there be dragons here!" is absolutely true!

IF you exceed standard working pressures, by a little, your gun should not turn into a grenade. If you hit proof level pressure, your gun should not instantly turn into a grenade, but it might, or fail in some other way. If you exceed proof levels, your gun will fail, but no one can say when. Might be the very first shot. Might not be, but the odds are high that at some point, it will fail and possibly become a grenade in your hands. Don't go there.

Enforcer is about the same burn rate as 2400, so I've always loaded 240 jacketed with H-110/296 in my 7.5" Blackhawk.

What are you shooting?

In my world, 44 mag is great. I shoot loads to the level that is reasonable to me. I’m shooting a 1150fps load now with Enforcer and 240gr SWC’s.

I would avoid 296/H110 because they are really designed for max loads.

Get a powder with velocity ranges you think you want to shoot and load a recoil ladder set to determine what recoil you want to shoot. Most targets could care less about +/- 20 grs of bullet or +/- 100 fps. So load something you will like to shoot!

Thannks everyone,

I will lower the loads to the Hodgden Recommended 18 gr, and work up from there. I will come back and tell you what I found out. Thanks Again.

Back