New AR15 upper

308Loader

I've been shopping around for a new upper for my ar. The rifle is a Olympic flat top pinker with 16" heavy couture barrel with a 1-9 twist I think. I was looking at one of these from Daytona tac.

24" Fluted Barrel Upper Chrome Moly Phosphate Processed with 15" Ultra Light Keymod Rail

Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle Included.
•Chamber - .223 Wylde , M4 Feed Ramp (Shoots both .223 and 5.56)
•Barrel Twist - 1x9
•Barrel Thread - None
•Barrel Steel Chrome molly stress relieved. Manganese phosphate
•Flash Hider - None
•Handguard - 15" Anodized Ultra light Keymod
•Gas Block - Low Profile Gas Block
•Upper Receiver - A4 Flat-Top Upper
• Bolt Carrier Group - M-16 Mil-Spec Included
•Charging Handle - Included

First concern is fit and function, should be interchangeable upper with my existing lower right? Second, I did some research on the Wylde chamber but not sure I understand it. 223 with 556 throat? Any special loading considerations with this chamber? would I get better accuracy at distance with a longer barrel? With 1-9 twist it cant stabilize heavy for cal bullets well?

Their price for this complete upper looks pretty good. Down side is no threads on barrel for muzzle device. Just looking to improve an already decent rifle, maybe shoot longer distances, heavier bullets, improve accuracy...

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks all.

As I understand it, the Wilde chamber is a 223/556 chamber that is fatter. It is not, as far as I know, a separate cartridge.

223 Wylde is a compromise between .223 and 5.56. It's a "tighter" chamber (shorter throat) than a 5.56 but still able to run 5.56 ammo. Kinda "best of both worlds".
A match .223Rem barrel is tighter still, and not recommended for use with 5.56 ammo, although some will argue that it is fine. I'll leave that discussion to the Internet "experts".

223 Wylde is not a separate cartridge.

Back