New AR10 hits 2 feet low at 50 yards

goat

Took my brand new ar10 to the range for the first time to zero the sights.I was very upset to find that it hit 2 feet low at 50 yards.To make a long frustrating story short,I turned the elevation up to 600 meters and cranked the windage knob to get it to hit straight.Being a DCM shooter I am familiar with ar rifle and I am not a "happy camper"Guess this 1600.00 gun goes back to Armalite.Anyone else have a problem like this.

Front sight is adjustable but it took way too many cliks to get it in spec.I beleive that a 1600.00 rifle should only need minor adjustments nothing major.I also feel that a gun of this caliber(I dont mean 308)should shoot well right out of the box.I described the problem to Armalite and they said to send it back.I figure that it is worth the 25.00 shipping to make sure it is ok.

I'd go with the 'Send it back to the factory' opinion when it was all said and done myself. But the tinker in me would have flushed the base of the front sight, and then taken a Mill file to the front sight post until the rifle started hitting where it was supposed to.

That last part of the reply was probably better suited for the "Smithy" but I had to throw my 2 cents in about that anyway.

Do send that Rifle back though, and it's good that you related your problems here so that we can all be forewarned.

Unkel Gilbey

Back