New Approach: Semi-Auto Question

creekchub2

Inactive
Question for the collective. (Approached subject here before, but got no responses). I need some info on problems with a "new" (purchased after having been stored by original owner for 10 years in the box before firing) Berretta A-303. I now have some additional details to relay.

Problem: Gun has trouble ejecting and cycling shells with "regular" loads of shot (i.e. less powerful than #3 buckshot or slugs). I have talked to other A303 owners who have had similar problems related to proper cycling while shooting anything less powerful than "hot", Italian load shells. The gun has been well cleaned but still is having problems.

Anyone have ideas on fixing problem? It has been suggested that we CAREFULLY bore out the two gas ports in the barrel that allow the exhausted gas to enter the piston cup and force gun cycling. This action will allow more gas to be cycled through the piston cup and give more force to the whole shell cycling routine. There is no other way to adjust the amount of gas discharged through this "multiple-type-of-shell-load- friendly" semi-automatic firearm. This boring technique has been done successfully by someone I know on a 12 ga. model. Any other ideas or options?

Also, the gun seems to be lacking "spring action" in the entire piston and rod assembly as related to where it is seated in the stock. When the forearm retaining screw is loosened and the forearm is removed, it doesn't "spring off of" the threaded rod. I examined a bantam model A303 in a store and it had quite a bit of springy movement when the forearm was removed. If the forearm hadn't been held by hand it might have launched several inches off the threaded rod when released. Our gun doesn't display any such "action". How much flex and "springiness" (for lack of a better term) should I be seeing in the whole piston and rod assembly when it is disassembled and forearm is removed? Is it possible that the spring in the stock is gummed up from long-term storage? I haven't disassembled it to that degree yet.

ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you completely disassembled it to clean out any residue of old congealed oils or greases? I'd try that first. Over time dust will mix with the lubricating oils and/or grease and could have hardened it. Then lube with fresh oil.

While I am no expert on autoloaders, I do know that sporting clays shooters who shoot Beretta gas guns swear by the products put out by Cole gunsmithing. They all run around with funny colored springs that have something to do with different power loads. Check them out at:

www.colegun.com

Beretta gas guns are all the rage on the better clays courses these days.

Hope this is of some use.

Geoff Ross

A belated thank you for the replies posted on my question. I will give the gun another good cleaning and run some more shells through it this weekend.

I will check out the websites that were provided for more info.

(Later that same day...)

Looked at FAQ's at Cole site. There was a brief discussion about shooting less than magnum sized shells in A303, and how to tune for that use.

Thanks for the link.

[This message has been edited by creekchub2 (edited January 21, 2000).]

creekchub2,

If the gun is new (or like new), and not cycling well, it could just need to be broken in alittle more. I would fire a few more full power loads through it and see if that doesn't loosen it up still. Another option would be to see if Wolf sells reduced power recoil springs. I know they do for benellis and it's suposed to help them funcition better with light loads.

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

Dorcus: We are going to run some additional higher powered rounds through it ASAP. Planned on it last weekend but ice storms, pine trees and "a Southern Company subsidary" changed the plans.

Hopefully we can get it resolved soon.

Thanks for suggestions.

th

Back