New Agent 45 can't remove slide stop

SFC Dadda

Inactive
Just bought my first ever Colt!!! A New Agent 3" barrel with the Colt stamped laser grip. I take it home, read the manual cover to cover, watch a video for assembly/dis-assembly. Have some fimiliarity with Colts as my sidearm for 8 years as a tanker in the army was a Colt 45 M1911. I get ready to tear it down to check and lube for the very first time... I cock it back to the dis-assembly notch, push the slide stop nub on the right side, the slide stop moves 1/8 inch and stops.. won't come out, WONT even go back in... help!!!

If the slide stop has come out of the frame 1/8", it must be mostly clear of the slide.
Did you try wiggling the slide back an forth while pulling the stop out from the left side of the gun?
It might be kind of hard, with that stiff recoil spring, but it should work.
It might be a three handed deal, so someone else might need to hold the gun while you work the slide and stop.
If not, can you supply a picture of the situation?

Tried tapping on the nub with an aluminum dowel, prying the stop with a piece of brass wire hanger, both softer metals, nothing... It doesn't wiggle either... My finger tips are still sore from trying to get it out, what's worse is it wont go back in...

Last edited:
There's a slot in the slide-stop, and sometimes the tip of the slide stop plunger will get into the slot, preventing the slide stop from moving in either direction.

Preventing movement of the SLIDE STOP in either direction. You wouldn't be able to remove it, or push it back in, if the plunger is stuck in the slot.

Can you see that the plunger is stuck in the slide stop?
If you remove the thumb safety, both plungers and spring can be drawn out the back of the plunger tube, but if the slide stop plunger is jammed in the slide stop, it might not want to easily come out.
You might be able to use a thin tool to push the plunger back into the tube from the front. Relieving the spring pressure by removing the thumb safety could help.

@RickB - You were 100% spot on!!! Target, Target, Cease Fire!!!

It was exactly that. I took a jewelers flat tip, depressed the plunger that was in the groove and it came right out!

However, I couldn't put it back in afterwards because the spring put too much tension on the barrel link so it wouldn't line up correctly.

A nickle placed between the recoil spring guide rod head and bushing released the tension. Then lining it all up with a small rod and I am now good to go!!!

You made my day Rick, Thanks!!!

That must be one strong plunger spring.
I've had to use that technique for reassembly, but never for taking one apart.
If it continues to be that much of a pain, maybe a coil should be removed from the plunger spring??

g, after depressing it manually a couple of times it's alot easier. I think it just needs some breaking in. Haven't even sent a round down range yet. Planning about 200-300 this weekend, already looking forward to a sore wrist on Tuesday...

The dimensions of the plunger tube and plunger often contribute to the problem. On both of my G.I. pistols, just pushing inward on the slide stop will push the plunger into the tube and out of the way, but on some commercial guns, the tube is too short, or the plunger too long, and you don't get the proper camming effect, and instead you are sort of bending the plunger as you push on the slide stop, requiring a tool to depress the plunger in order to get the slide stop in.
There's a modification that you can make, creating a groove on the slide stop to increase the camming effect, and it's pictured in a few places.
Or, just have a small tool handy to depress the plunger.

Without a government inspector looking over your shoulder, ready to reject the gun, or maybe an entire block of guns, if something's not right, there's just not enough incentive to make it right?
Colt made more M1911s in 1918 than they've made commercial pistols in the last twenty years, so the relatively leisurely pace should help ensure that they get it right, right?
Or, if you don't think some doughboy's life is going to depend on the gun, you're not as careful?
Which?

Many clone makers have the motto, "Specs, wot is specs, we don't need no steenking specs."

But I would have expected better from Colt.

Jim

Back