New 870 purchase, *#@&... Help.

WoundChannel

I bought an 870 a little bit ago, thinking I could do a few mods and pay much less than what a Scattergun Technologies would cost. I have one road block though. The first mod I wanted to perform was a mag extension, but it appears Remington crimped the end of the mag to prevent this. Now, I know you guys know about this, because I read about it here after I already bought the SG.

The crimp leaves two dimples on either side of the mag. My question is, could these dimples be filed down, or do I have to replace the whole mag?

Also, does anyone know where I could get the least expensive mag ext., tritium ghost rings, sidesaddle, and surefire light? Thank you for any advice you can give.

My friend used a dremel tool to remove his and it feeds fine.

Not sure where he bought his extension though.

Some people swage out the dimples by pounding a proper fitting socket down the mag tube. Most people just drill them out which is the easier solution.

The dimples seem easy to remove, it's just a minor hassle on a great shotgun.

As for the addons, go slow and do one at a time. If there's a glitch,it's easier to ID and rectify.

And, a stock 870 is a marvelously effective tool as it is.

WoundChannel, look at Brownells.com, Menck Shotgun Magazine Corkscrew $19.95. A gunsmith here charges $37.00.M33

Mark m33: That tool removes the old-style spring retainer, a metal cap that is friction fitted into the magazine tube. He needs a "Magazine tube dent raiser" which costs $47.15.

Wound Channel: Make sure you know what you are getting into when you remove those dimples. Once you do, you will have to use the old-style magazine spring retainer, and the old style magazine cap, which requires a ball and spring in the ring of the barrel that goes around the magazine tube, or one of the sling adapters that includes the proper detent to use the old-stype cap.

Kharn

I removed the dimples with a Dremmel tool (a drill works about as well) & a cylindrical stone/mandrel combo (price = ~$3.00 if you already have the power tool). Just grind the darned things flush to the inside of the tube being careful you don't grind through.

Used a Choate tube extension & works fine. Too, never had any problems with the stock tube cap, although do be careful when/if you pull it off as the spring is under tension (duh), but you're gonna be careful removing any cap over a spring anyway.

Just screw your cap back on tightly, check it every once in a while to make sure it's snug & you'll be fine.

Tritium and Ghost Rings

I just set up a fellows Mossburg. With both and it came out real nice. Actuall the first time I have looked at a tritium sight. Too nice!
Brownells offer a couple different setups. The first was rather massive and ugly and I returned it, the second went on very nice. Ill look up the part numbers and post them for you. The setup I ended up buying run about $120.00 for both if I remember right.

Back