New 700 setup, which 700 / what scope?

downhiller

Inactive
Hi all. First post so apologies for any overly-obvious questions, and the length.

I'm new to rifles but have wanted one forever, looking to pick up a new setup. Strictly for range & plinking use, won't be used for hunting. (Maybe to prepare for the zombie apocalypse.) I would like to have something capable of hitting at 1000 yards when I progress, but the longest range near me's 600 (I'm in Seattle), and it'll probably be a while before I get there. Price range, like to stay under $1,500. That being said if I do something I usually do it all the way, I'd hate to buy something then want something slightly better a few months later, so that number could change a little if worthwhile.

So far from researching around, think I've pretty much decided on:
Remington 700 - set on a bolt-action, also I have a 870 Express and love it.
Caliber - 7mm-08, I've read it's good for long-range accuracy, low recoil and decent barrel life.
Zeiss Conquest scope - good quality, decent price range.

I'd appreciate any input on the above, and I have a few questions I haven't found the answers to:
Which scope? How much magnification would I need for 1000 yards? Would a 6.5-20x be too much magnification for, say a 100 yard target? Is a slightly larger objective diameter worth the price increase? I'm a little lost here.

700 versions - there a reason to buy any other versions of the 700 than the regular SPS? Such as the detachable magazine one?

Accessories - bipod or tripod? Think I'd prefer shooting prone than a table. What might I have to expect to have the rifle sighted in, and for some lessons?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

The Ziess Conquest is a great scope, and the 6.5X20 will work fine for long range shooting. Since it is a variable power scope it would not be too much scope for 100 yard targets, if it was a fixed 20X, yes it would be a little excessive for closer range. Now I have no beef's at all with the Remington 700. I think they're a great gun, esp for the money, but looking at your budget I would get something a little nicer. Kimber and Cooper are top of the line rifles. You wont buy one of these rifles and find something a little better later on, I promise. As far as the 7mm 08 goes, its a great hunting round, but they're better rounds for long distance shooting. I'm not sure how recoil sensitive you are, but I'd be looking at 300 win mag or 264 win mag.

I have two hunting rifles at the moment and am contemplating a third. I have a Savage 116 FSHAK in .30-06 and a Rem 700 SPS SS in .308 Win both with Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scopes w/ Rapid Z600 reticle. Both are well zeroed at 200 yds and I've tested what the reticles show at 100-600 yds. A 200 yd zero gives me a decent point blank from 0-260/270 yds and the reticle markings are pretty good with 165 gr bullets. Both rifles are sub-MOA with Match loads using Hornady A-MAX and Sierra MKs in 168 gr.

I am debating between a .25-06 and a .260 Rem, possibly a Cooper 52 or 54, for my next rifle. If the latter or a long barreled .308, I may try a Rapid Z1000 Varmint reticle...at the moment I'm unsure. I may, however, go with a Leupold VX 3 with a custom reticle when, as and if, I find a good accuracy load for the rifle I select.

I have been delighted with both Zeiss Conquest, Leupy and Burris Sig Select scopes...my current use of Zeiss indicates my current preferences. For hunting larger than prairie dogs, I think a 3-9x40 is big and heavy enough. I had a Redfield 2-7x on my Rem 700BDL in .30-06 for 25 years...it was plenty. Frankly, if you're trying a 1,000 yd shot at deer through Elk, you're doing it wrong. I shoot regularly, practice at various distances and in various positions and probably would not take a hunting shot at deer+ at more than 300 yds. I leave my scopes on the 3x setting and dial up if needed. A 4-14 or 6-20 is useful for Varmints but too much for mid- to large game, IMHO. For dangerous game, I'm an iron sight to 1.5-6x max kind of guy...although if I encounter dangerous game, it will be by accident, not intent. YMMV.

FH

If this is more of a target rifle I would chose a different caliber, The 7mm-08 is more of a hunting caliber than for target shooting Cor Bon does make Match ammo for the 7mm-08, but I am not sure many others do. If it were me I would go for 308Win or 30-06 or even the newer 338 Lapua if you really want to reach out to 1000yds. Just my .02....:)

Get a 22LR bolt action and once you have the basics of rifle accuracy with open sights, put a scope on it. Once you are proficient with that, get a 223Rem bolt action. Once you are proficient with that, and you still want to shoot 1000 yards, get a 300WinMag. If you are still in it to this point, you will probably be reloading your own shells. If not, you will getting schooled by the other guys that reload getting half your group sizes.

A rifle ain't a shotgun, and 1000 yards shots with rifles takes a well experienced rifle shooter. Don't expect for a second that you are going to go down to Wal-Mart and start shooting 1000yds. I wish you all the best, but I'm trying to be realistic with you.

Here is my setup. I went through this exact scenario about a month ago. It sounds like you are set on 7mm, but this is what I got, after considering 7mm. I will probably change the stock down the road to a better, true free float system such as HS Precision, or similar.

My Choice:
Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 Win (I don't hunt varmint's, but this rifle has a 26" barrel, and a 1:12 twist rate ideal for .308)

I think the detachable magazine is a personal choice btw, not a make or break for me. (The SPS Varmint does not have a DBM.)

EGW Scope Mount, Picatinny/Weaver Style

Harris 9-13" Bipod, no leg notches, swivel mount

Vortex Viper 6.5x-20x 50mm scope. In my opinion, a great scope, based on my shooting it so far. It's clear, fairly cheap, and on par with the low to mid end leupold's. (IMO, Leupold, while good quality, are overpriced).

Rings are .5" Burris XTR

Finally, the Reloading. If you want to shoot long range, get into reloading. It saves a ton of money, and you can get a load customized for your rifle.

Currently I am running this load with great success:
Hornady Match 168 gr HPBT Bullet
Federal Brass
Winchester Large Rifle Primers
44 gr's of Hogdon Varget, loaded to 2.810 COAL

Here are some links to the items:

Rifle:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx

Scope:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x50-pa-riflescope-mil-dot-reticle

Optics Planet: Free Shipping on the scope/mount:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-riflescopes-vpr-m-06fp.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/egw-remington-700-picatinny-rail-tactical-scope-mount.html

And Finally the completed setup. Enjoy:

DSC01408.jpg

Mrawesome is right, there is not way your going to go down to the range and start shooting at 1000 yards or even 600 lol. I don't think you need to start out with a 22lr though, but your going to need to get in A LOT of trigger time at 100 yds before you go out and start shooting long distances.

I'll agree about the .22 - and make it a top-notch target version, NOT a 10/22. Practice, trigger control, breathing control, etc. while doing it a lot for a little money.

If 1000 yards is your goal, then the 338 Lapua is a good round as are many other choices (like many of the 6.5 variants)

Downhiller,

As several have mentioned the .308 is a far better choice in calibers unless you want to reload for the 7-08.

Sounds like you are looking in the right direction. The Zeiss is excellent, make sure it has adj objective. A 50mm v 44 is not a concern, take the 50 as you are not concerned with maintaining a low profile.

The 700's, well I always offer 2 choices, 1) If money is an absolute go SPS 26 inch barrel, 2) If quality and function is more important go 700 PSS or 700 Mil-Spec 5R. I assume if your going Zeiss the quality issue is the more important.

Good luck and good shooting,
LP

Last edited:
Id also recommend starting out small and moving up. 1000yrds is not really something for a beginner. Id recommend starting with something like a .308 or .223, something with light recoil and something you can get cheap ammo for (so you don't have to hurt your bank account for plinking).
Also these two calibers are cheap to reload so you can get into that.
Ive read an article about a guy who manage to reach his .223 out to a mile!
.308 can get you out to about 800yrds comfortably, and .223 about 600 so they're not wussy either.
If i were you i would not get a .338 lapua or anything similar, there extremely expensive, recoil hard ammo is expensive they are not a beginners round what so ever.
As for a rifle the Remington 700 sps varmint is a good choice, theres some articles on the internet which give them a lot of praise. There is some minor problems with the stock, but once you got good enough to even notice these you could up grade the stock to something with aluminum bedding.

Just my opinion, but yeah i'd recommend .223 or .308

Thanks to everyone for weighing in, the advice is really appreciated. To reiterate I'm not expecting to go out and hit targets at obscene distances, but I would like whatever rig I get to be able to without really major upgrades when I get better.

Sounds like the consensus is the .308'd be a better round - leaning towards the 700 Varmint in that caliber, since it looks to be set up pretty well out of the box for it. Might end up with a setup pretty close to golfnutrlv's.

Again thanks, this forum has been a great resource to read through. I'll update in a few weeks when I have some pics to share, might have to wait a paycheck or two before I can dump everything on a card.

Vortex Viper PST, one of the FFP (first focal plane) models.

Alot of features for the price.

Sold out pretty much wherever you look, but its the first scope I'd consider.

You can choose between 4-16x50 and 6-24x50 and MOA or MIL hashed reticles (with matching corresponding finger adjustments).

Just my preference...

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/riflescopes

if you are looking for a cheaper but still very nice scope, I have a Sightron II Big Sky that I think is quite a bit better optically than my old Elite 6500 (granted the 6500 had a larger magnification range and a more durable finish, but construction quality on both are great).

I should get photos of my setup. (But it's dark out right now.)

Rem. 700, "Tactical" 26" bbl. It looks more like a PSS than an SPS. .308 Win.

Leupold Mark 4, 6.5 - 22x 50mm, Mil Dot. Mark 4 rings, bases, Leupold Alumina scope hood and lens caps.

Jewell trigger, HVR 1.5 oz. to 3 lbs. I have it set up for about 4 oz. Jewell will make you custom springs if you want to go below 1.5 oz.

Jewell trigger is the best $$$ I ever spent.

Loverme85 has some good suggestions. I had a 6.5x20x50mm but it was not has good of a make has the one you are looking at. Like he said being a variable it will be fine at 100 yards. Rifle wise he is also correct on maybe looking at a few others. Nothing wrong with the Rem, but you sound like the kind of guy that wants to do it correct the first time, and not wish you done something differnt later on. So like I always say take your time, and look around at the big sporting stores. It's hard to tell someone what to get, we all have are own taste for looks, calibers, muzzel brakes, and what not. Sounds like with 1,000 yard shooting I would give reloading some serious thought. It takes alot of practice to be good at 300 yards. 1,000 yards is way out there, but would be a blast to do. Around here we just dont have that much room. Way to thick even to make your own spot. Reloading you can really improve on the accuracy of it. Also study out your calibers a bit more, but you are on the right track wanting a good set up. I think at this point your best bet is the advise from this forum or were ever you can get it, and like I said take your time. There are some great folks on here that really know there stuff. I learned alot just reading the posts like now. You are correct doing it right the first time around, even if it takes awhile. Also like I said give the reloading some serious thought. You can get into that a little at a time, and get to know what you like or dont like. When I got into along time ago I could not believe how it tight my groups got, and that was just starting out. There again you would like to get the correct stuff the first time around. I started doing it to save some bucks but that does not even come into play now, it's just to be more accurate. Buying the best components wont save you a ton of money but it will in the long run. Plus you will be doing alot more shooting. Good luck, take your time on getting your set up, be safe, and have a bunch of fun. Welcome to a great forum! Also you would like a good weld to the stock looking thru the scope, if it has a real big bell. Most of your target or long range set ups take this into account when making the stock. I just forgot to mention it. You dont want to be looking up to get a good sight picture thru the scope, and a sun shade for it will come in handy.

Last edited:
I recently bought a 308 for long range, rem 700 xcr long range tac. Night force nxs 3.5-15x50 with 20moa base. Put a vortex level and haris bypod. I built this gun to shoot tactical shooting out to 1100 yards, I do all my own loading, the loads i have are only hitting a touch under 1moa at 300 yards. This weekend I took it out and shot it out to 1080, and did great, i did need to do a small bit of shooting and figuring to get a good dope chart, but when i got a accurate chart, I was busting stuff up pretty good. I did have a pretty good spotter, calling adjustments. This is also important. I think the 1080 yard targets were 20x20 and i was puting hits on them, then there were some 16x18 ish size plates in the 800 range and a few 12inch ones at 650 to 700 i put hits on. I think shooting tons of rounds at 200-300 will wast your time, I think you will learn more about long range shooting by getting out and doing it, go shoot with someone thats already doing it, they will help you learn. You could spend 7K building a gun that shoots 1/4inch 5 shot groups at 200 yards and not hit good at 1000, you need to learn how to use dope charts, read wind, call hits, ext you will only learn that stuff by doing it.

Back