New 590A1!!

mvdemarco

Just picked up my new Mossberg 590A1. What a beauty! This is one SOLID piece of steel! Action does seem to be very smooth as does the trigger. I ordered mine with the ghost ring sights. Been using military sights for over twenty years now, so that is what I am the most familiar with. For all of you shotgun owners, I do have a question though. Is it necessary to completely break down the shotgun after each use and clean it or is it enough just to pull the barrel , clean it and give the rest of the gun a good spraying and wiping with WD40? I figure with a semi-auto it is probably required but a pump it does not seem to be as critical. Get back to me all you veteran shotgunners!

Thanks,

Mike

I do the bbl every time I shoot, and the rest periodically. There's an old thread here about going w/o cleaning the receiver on my trapgun for about 3000 rounds you may find enlightening.

Congrats on buying the second or third best pump gun on the market(G)....

Like Dave, I clean out the barrel every time and the rest (with a complete disassembly) not as often.

In a pump gun, most of the residue from the spend powder and primer is been expelled mostly out of the barrel with some staying on the inside. When you pump it, there is only a minimal amount of dirt to get onto the internals and all of it has already been shot out. When you shoot your 590A1, you'll see.

Congrats!

Coincidentally, I just picked up my new 590A1 on Tuesday. I got the one with the GR sights too, model # 51663. Was your as dirty as mine was? The thing had cosmoline all over it and dust everywhere.

mvdemarco, congrats on the 590A1, but don't use WD40 on any gun. There are far better weapon specific lubes out there.

bigbear, mine was just as dirty.

Back