New 442

ThomasT

I have wanted a 442 No Lock for a while and finally bought one. My son wanted my 637 but wanted rubber instead of wood grips. So I took the wood grips off the 637 and exchanged them for the rubber grips. The wood grips are from Altamont. Also shown is my home made holster and speed strip pouch.

Attachments

• MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 181
  • MVC-026S.JPG
    MVC-026S.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 120
  • MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I like those Altamont wood grips. They'd look good on my Model 38 J-frame.

Nice job on the holster.

Those are cool little guns.

I have an 042, which is very closely related to the 442, and I absolutely love the thing. It's been one of my primary carry guns for a long time.

Recently I picked up a Humpback Airweight, and a friend of mine gave me a set of wood grips that are very similar to what you have on your 442.

I've not fired it yet, but boy do they feel nice in the hand!

Thanks guys. I got the 442 from Keely Arms for $339 with free shipping and a $25 transfer when it got here. I just picked it up today so I haven't shot it yet. But I think I can do a little shooting on monday.

I have shot the 637 with the wood grips on it and it works in my hand. I will load some 110gr HP loads this weekend to try along with some 158gr SWC loads I already have on hand. The 637 with 158gr loads had some pretty stiff recoil. I may order a box of 130-140gr bullets from Missouri Bullet company. That should be a good bullet weight for these lighter guns to practice with.

I am not real good on the leather work yet. I have made about 4 holsters and the pouch for the speed strips. I had to wet form the leather for the pouch. That was fun and not hard at all. I need some leather stamps and try to do a little fancier stuff.

http://www.keelyarms.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=442&Submit=

Nice revolver, and I like the holster, too! Nicely done.

My holsters are just a basic pouch. But they do the job. I learned the little I know from articles in the Backwoodsman Magazine. If you have never read it it has How To articles on many different subjects. Its the only magazine I buy anymore.

The leatherwork is fun to do. I have a couple of knives I want to make sheaths for. That holster is a tight friction fit. You can't shake the gun out of it.

I almost purchased a 1966 442, but the dealer wanted $3400. So I bought a 1966 SS 396 for $3000...shoulda kept it.

I've always liked small revolvers, too.
Very nice.
Enjoy.
mhblaw, I was thinking the same thing - how did a discussion about Oldsmobiles get on this forum.

g.willikers I had no idea what post #9 is about. I would have never figured out it was about cars.:confused: I just thought he paid a helluva lot for an S&W 442. I was willing to sell him my new unfired one for just a flat $3000.00. And I will pay the shipping. And throw in the holster to boot.:D

I hope I get a chance to go shoot it this weekend or the following week. When I do I will post some target pictures. If they are any good.:eek:

My holsters are just a basic pouch. But they do the job. I learned the little I know from articles in the Backwoodsman Magazine. If you have never read it it has How To articles on many different subjects.
Its the only magazine I buy anymore.
They aren't printing their magazine anymore.

Sorry but you are wrong. Maybe you are thinking of motherearth news or some other magazine but Backwoodsman is alive and well.
I misread it as Backwoodshome.
They are no longer doing a printed version.

https://www.backwoodshome.com/shop/?product=subscribe-to-backwoods-home-magazine

Backwoods Home Magazine will cease publishing the print magazine with the November/December 2017 issue.

Instead, we will publish exclusively on Kindle. We will continue printing books and other anthologies from our office.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/saying-goodbye-to-backwoods-home/

Say goodbye to America’s best self-reliance magazine by ordering the final PRINT issues of Backwoods Home Magazine — they are going to be great! To read more about the end of the print magazine, please visit

Well Snyper I am glad you are wrong. But you did give me a start.:eek: I really like Backwoosman magazine. I have tried not only holster making but also bread, spicy pickles, beef jerky and hard apple cider. Every one turned out good except my second batch of hard cider. The hardest part about that second batch was drinking it. Yuk!!! I don't know what happened but I will try again. The first batch was good and had a real kick to it.

Back