New 204

NHSHOOTER

I am thinking about adding to my collection. 204 has been on my mind since I hear it is very accurate, reloadable, economical. Would use it mostly for punching paper out to 300 yds..Opinions?

I got one of the Ruger #1s in 204 when they first came out.

Yes they are very accurate, reloadable, economical.

They are fun also. Great PD guns and work great on coyotes and foxes. Even using the little 32 gr pills. (never shot heavier bullets, never figured I needed them).

How ever I think you are doing gun and yourself a disservice limiting the range to 300 yards. They shoot much farther then that and flat.

The little bullets normally would be subject to wind problems. But wind is effected by time of flight. At 4000 fps the wind doesn't have a lot of time to screw with the bullet.

Try it at longer ranges, you'll be surprised.

kraigwy, Living here in NH about 300yds is hard enough to find to shoot, anything further is about impossible, not that I wouldnt like to try it. I am looking and am hoping to find a spot but its not easy.

Do you have a particular rifle in mind? The Savage model 12 VLP DBM would be a good one for punching paper:

O0LvEfn1L_mNmCxJx5J.png

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .204 Ruger. With a steady rest you can see the woodchuck getting hit due to the low recoil.

I have a cooper .204 and I built an ar in 24 {wilson barrel, everything else is the same} and its a great round, light recoil, accurate, and strong enough..
There are plenty available, my brother has the sako 85 in 204 and it was less money than my cooper and shoots just as good...

Back