NEW 1991A1

DAVID NANCARROW

JUST BOUGHT A NEW 1991A1 USED AND UNFIRED, WITH A STEEL VIDECKI ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER AND A STEEL MAINSPRING HOUSING FOR 5 BILLS. ONE ODD THING I NOTICED IS THE BARREL. THE FEED RAMP IS VERY DIFFERENT THAN ANY COLT I'VE EVER SEEN. IT HAS WHAT APPEARS TO BE A LONGITUDINAL GROOVE RIGHT IN THE CENTER, RUNNING FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL TO NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE CHAMBER ITSELF. THE BARREL IS STAMPED WITH STANDARD COLT MARKINGS. THE FORMER OWNER STATES COLT STARTED THIS IN 2000, AND IS NOT SURE WHY. TAKING IT OUT TONIGHT TO TEST IT, BUT WONDERING WHY THIS GROOVE IS THERE?
STILL HAVE MY OLD ONE, A SERIES 80 BLUED WITH OVER 70,000 ROUNDS IN IT, WHICH STILL WORKS, BUT IS GETTING A BIT LOOSE IN THE SLIDE.

THANKS FOR USING CAPS LOCK TO SHOUT OVER THE INTERNET, I'M SURE NOBODY WILL FIND IT INCREDIBLY ANNOYING.

(It's considered bad form).

FYI I have a 1991a1 that I purchased a few month ago and it has the exact same barrel as yours, don't worry about it. Over on http://www.1911forum.com in the colt section this question is asked very often and one of the guys on that sight works for Colt and he said that that is the way all new Colts come and it was done to improve reliablity with hollow point ammo. I have put 300 rounds through mine both hollow point and ball and have never had any problems.
Enjoy.

Well, I am impressed with the shooting accuracy of this one! It's not fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but its running step for step with some of my friend's Kimbers, although its not as pretty in looks, it sure looks good on the target paper! Have not done anything to it to speak of except to slightly bell the barrel bushing so it contacts the slide, and the 2 piece barrel might be pooh-poohed by some, but 2.5" groups with my favorite handloads is good enough for me for right now, anyway!

There is a vertical dovetail joint between the chamber and the top locking lugs, and from what I understand, a fairly common way to make the 1911 style barrels. Some use a sleeve type, but Colt uses 2-piece barrels as it is easier in the manufacturing process. It may sound dubious, but so far as accuracy goes, its not such a bad thing. I believe it is a shrink fit, where one part is heated and the other cooled, then slipped together before the parts reach the same temperature, and the resulting joint can barely be seen. The more accurate types, assuming they are properly machined, are truly 1-piece tubes. I don't think most people are truly good enough shots to really benefit from a one piece barrel, and their longevity is more than satisfactory one the 2 piece style, anyway. My other side arm is an early manufactured Series 80 (what else?) with the same barrel setup, in which I've run over 70,000 rounds through-at least half were +P, and nothing bad happened.

Sorry, Mikul.
Used and unfired means it was a purchase of a previously purchased item, but not used. BATF states it cannot be sold as new once it has been legally sold.

Quite correct, David.

If it's unfired and really in 100% shape, it can be ANIB [as new in box], but if ever sold at retail, it can't be NIB.

Back