new 1991A1 commander- help with modifications

vanfunk

Hi folks! (chorus: "Hi Vanfunk"). I just purchased a Colt 1991A1 commander after giving in to my recent lust for a plain-jane, mil-spec style pistol. It feels very well put together for a bottom of the line gun; so far I'm impressed with the piece. This isn't my first 1911, but it is the first time I've considered making some parts changes with it, notably the plastic trigger and mainspring housing. I want to make these swaps myself. What's a good, relatively inexpensive trigger for the 1911? How 'bout a source for an arched, steel mainspring housing? How hard is it to make these modifications? What tools will I need? How long will this post be? Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome. And of course, thanks in advance for your help!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Got a stainless Enhanced Combat Commander last September. Mildly customized it to fit my tastes. First get a Brownells catalog. They've got all their merchandize on their searchable web page (http://www.brownells.com/), but the paper catalog should be a rite of passage for all 1911 owners. This is what I did to mine (these are Dealer prices, YMMV):

Wilson one piece full length guide rod: $18.71
Heitt "090" Red Buffs recoil buffers, 6pk : $3.75
Masen serrated arched MS housing: $14.17
Videke aluminum short trigger: $12.75
AFS Slim Tech walnut grips: $35.71
Shooting Star 8rd clips: $11.90/ea

The Slim Tech grips are kinda pricey but well worth it IMO, they make the Commander feel even smaller. Had to get rid of those godawful Hogue finger groove grips... yuck. If I had a plain jane 1991A1 I'd think about a Wilson drop-in beavertail grip safety: $22.46. I like the beavertail look.

You may want to check out the Novak 1911 "Competition" sight: $27.96. They have'em with dots and without. A friend put one on a Springfield and really likes it. It’s no gunsmith design and fits the standard GI rear sight cut. All these mods are super easy part swaps. Have fun with it. Email me if you have any questions. -- Kernel

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited December 16, 1999).]

Thanks, guys! I'm going to order a trigger and mainspring housing today, and check out the grips and sights you mentioned. I'm still a little apprehensive about taking my gun apart, though. Are there any online "coaches" with diagrams that you know about to help me with some of the disassembly/reassembly? Thanks again for your help.
By the way, I'm more and more impressed with this little gun as the days go by. It's very tight, with excellent slide to frame fit (although a little coarse in movement) and barrel to slide fit. The finish is nice and even, and of course, it handles like the 1911 that it is! It won't compete with my SIG P210 off the line, but for a third the price, heck!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

This link below will walk you thru the dissasembly. The hardest part will be the trigger, (like most things) it comes apart easy. Getting it back together (the first time) is the fun part. Isn't something you'd want to do on the back of a galloping horse. Don't be detered, it's all part of the joy of owning a 1911. -- Kenrel

http://www.m1911.org/striping.htm

Vanfunk, may I also suggest the Wilson book on how to completely strip, clean, lube and reassemble a 1911. It is about $9, simple descriptions and lots of pictures. I recently did my Colt GM for the first time (including changing the mainspring housing) and it was pretty simple, even for me. Good luck!

Frank

One book every 1911 owner should own, IMO, is
The Colt .45 Automatic, written by Jerry Kuhnhausen.

Back