New 1973 M-66- Occasional spark in the face, problem or nothing?

JRiggs

Hi,

Recently some of you may remember my post about my vintage, unfired model 66 revolver I picked up last weekend. Well, its no longer unfired! This is by far the most accurate revolver I've ever used. Just one thing, I fired about 70 rounds through it, and maybe a half a dozen or so times, I felt a VERY slight spark, like a hot pin prick, hit my cheek. Nothing major by any means. Ammo used was Federal Hydra Shok .357 130 gr JHP, and Remington-UMC 158 gr .38 LRN. It happened with both loads. Like I said, this only happened about 5 or so times out of 70 rounds fired, and was hardly noticeable. Im new to revolvers, so is this normal or is there a slight problem? I wouldnt think a new, vintage 1973 S&W would have a problem, but you guys are much more experienced than I so I thought I would ask.

I should probably add, I checked alignment by cocking the hammer, and shining a light at the back of the cylinder. All the charge holes lined up nicely. The lock up on the revolver is nice and tight, and the forcing cone is smooth and even. Thanks for any help you guys can give me. J.R.

Have somebody hold a piece of paper loosely around the gun while you fire it. Use caution of course and have no part of anybody in front of the gun. If there are powder burns and spatter from both sides that is normal. If there is a lot more damage to the paper on one side then you are a tad out of time. Also look at the paper for little holes and possible tiny pieces of jacket metal or lead.

Even a new gun can come down the line with timing a tad off. Also check the cylinder to barrel gap with a feeler guage, shootin for .004 to .006", ok out to .008 or so. Tighter than .004 ok but may foul when gun is dirty.

Nuther thing to look for is the chamber mouths. Check em with a jacketed bullet, should be able to push one in from the front. If a bit tight, will cause leading and a little spitting.

If you are gettin a little unburned powder, not that big a deal.....if you are gettin little pieces of metal in your face, oughtta fix it. Eyes is part of face and they important.

Most of all, enjoy your wheelgun....and wear glasses.

Sam

Hi Mr. Riggs,

Were you shooting at an indoor range?
Sometimes the hot gasses and powder (and sometimes lead)
that escape between the cylinder and barrel will bounce off the sides of the stall and deflect into your face. It has happened to me.

You can check for lead spitting by taping a white sheet of paper onto each side wall of the shooting stall and firing the revolver with the barrel/cylinder gap a few inches away.

You can check the barrel to cylinder gap with a feeler gage.
Email S&W and ask them what the specification and tolerance is for this gap.

This is a good reminder to everyone to always wear safety glasses with side shields while shooting.

-Mk.IV

You may want to see if the local gun shop has a range rod that you can use to check barrel/cylinder alignment. Sounds like the gun could be slightly out of time. Some of the Smiths from this era were not the best guns made.

All these guys have excellent ideas to help. One thing else you might look at, does the forcing cone have any burrs on it? Remove them if it does.
Sometimes that happens with my revolvers too. Even more so with the 357 cal loads. Power shoots out throught the forcing cone and the cylinder and sprays everywhere. Again try the ideas these guys gave you. If you are not used to revolvers you may think something small is a problem. Unlike semi automatics which the entire shell is enclose in the barrel, revolver bullets must "jump a gap" to enter the barrel.
What ever it is, I dought if its anything to serious.
Let us know what happens.

If it continues "spitting lead", send it back to Smith. I had a similar problem with a model 60. Sent it Smith & Wesson FEDEX 2nd day air. Had it back in about 10 days. They reamed the forcing cone. No further problems. In my opinion, Smith & Wesson set the standards for customer service. Other manufacturers would benefit up grading their service to match that of Smith.

Just a note. The problem was and irritant with .38 specials, a little worse with 125 grain .357s and intolerable (hurt like hell) with 158 grain maximim loads. Now, no problems with the hottest of loads.

Back