new 1911-question

RHC

I bought my first 1911, a Springfield Armory.
It says on the box it's a Milspec, but it has checkered grips and front slide serrations, so I'm not really sure what model it is.

Anyway, my question is: I tried to field strip it and couldn't get the barrel out. The barrel bushing rotates over and I can remove the guide rod and spring, but I can't get the barrel out through the front of the slide the way the diagram shows.

Help!

RHC,

If you haven't already taken it off by fooling around with it, try applying slight outward pressure (away from the pistol) as you rotate the barrel bushing. Try to keep the pressure even around the bushing without applying undue pressure against the opposite side. There is a cutout in the slide that matches with a projection on the bushing to keep things in place once assembled.

Good Shooting
RED

if the bushing is in the the right place, use the barrel to knock bushing out.I have a 1911 with a tight bushing and
pulling the barrel forward knocks the bushing out.

Did you turn the bushing to your right(looking toward the muzzle) after removing the recoil spring, plug and guide?

Did you remove the slide stop? (it also serves as the take down pin) If you don't remove it, than you cannot remove the barrel.

My grasp of 1911 terminology is a little weak, so bear with me if I make a mistake.

I did get the slide stop and slide off. I turned the bushing and removed the spring. I guess I need to work with the bushing a little more. I'm reluctant to use much force on something until I know for sure what I'm doing.

Thanks for the help! I'll get it out of the safe and give it a try.

Johnwill,

RHC did not specifically mention that he got the slide off, the bushing was still on, he said he was newbie and I could not tell if he had the slide off by his post.

I guess we read his post two different ways...I offered help...

Looking at the slide from the front, the bushing is rotated 90 degrees clockwise to the 9 o'clock position to allow the spring plug and spring to be removed. Then it is rotated back the other way to about the 4 o'clock position and pulled out. Then swing the link up toward the barrel and remove the barrel to the front.

If the pistol has a full length guide rod, the disassembly may be a bit different, but it should be pretty much the same.

Jim

RHC, I suspect that Jim Keenan and Jim V are on the money:

Turn bushing left to remove spring and plunger, after these have been removed turn bushing right and pull it straight out...that last step, of turning right is likely your missing step

So the bushing has to be turned back? That may be the key.
The manual doesn't mention that anywhere; in fact, the manual is not very good.

Thanks again. TFL is such a great place. At a lot of places they would have been flaming me for being such a newbie to the 1911. I still haven't fired it. I like to make sure I can strip and clean a gun before I shoot it.

I've been wanting a 1911 for some time, partly because I turned 45 this year (I know, pretty weak) and also because my Dad carried one in WWII and for general historical reasons. I was reminded of my wish for a 1911 when I did the three-day course at the Chapman Academy. The guy that outshot everyone else was using a Kimber 1911, and he had no jams or malfunctions the whole time. Very impressive to me.

OK, that did it. Thanks.
Now that I know what I was supposed to do, the manual does in fact mention the second turn of the bushing, it just wasn't getting through.
What's the best source for a good clear guide on what to clean and what to oil on this gun?

This how I clean my 1911's, others may do it differently. I field strip the pistol. I run a brass brush soaked with bore solvent down the barrel and set it aside. I then use a solvent soaked patch to wipe down the framealong the feed ramp, the rails and the top of the frame. I set it aside and using an old tooth brush and solvent I scrub the breech face of the slide. I also clean any gunk out of the locking lugs on the top interior of the slide. I may speed things by giving the slide a shot or two of brake cleaner or one of the spray gun cleaners. (Watch the spray stuff on any plastic grips etc) Now, I go back to the barrel and run a dry patch down it. The patch should be pretty bad so more solvent and patches until they come out clean. Perhaps some more brass bore brush work, depending on how much ammo was fired.

Lubing the pistol. Again others may do it differently. I wet a patch with CLP or any other good lube and wipe down the interior of the slide if I've hit it with a spray cleaner. They will remove all the prior lube that was there. I wipe down the exterior of the barrel with my oily fingers but put a very small drop of lube on the link and link pin. I use one drop of oil down around the disconnector and one drop on each side of the hammer. I use a gun grease on the rails, Wilson makes a good one. After reassembling the pistol I give the outside a final wipe with the oily patch.

YMMV NWEI VWP LS/MFT

Do come and visit the 1911 Forum for good 1911 advise.

Back