New 1911 ownerhas a couple of questions???

Cyric13

I plan on getting my new Charles Daly 1911 A1 in a week or so and had a few questions.
I wanted to know about some good ammo that not too expensive? Also what type of ammo should I use, the same kind for the range as I do for defense and should I stick to the same brand all the time? The last questions is about grips, I wanted to get a clear grip but could find any in my Brownells catologe, does anybody know where I can get any?

thanks in advance, Cyric13

[This message has been edited by Cyric13 (edited January 10, 2000).]

Remnington/umc "yellowbox" 230 grain hardball ammo is good practice ammunition and is inexpensive compared to "defense loads".(around $10-12 for 50 rounds) The good news is its point of impact is nearly identical to the point of impact on federal's 230 grain hydra-shock "defensive" ammo. (which is $10 for 20 rounds). Also, the "sposrt'sman's Guide" has a LOT of deals on nato and isreali milspec ammunition. This may be a good supplier of inexpensive ammunition with similar ballistics to defense loads.

If you plan on shooting a lot think seriously about reloading your own ammuntion, 45acp can be awfully expensive. Lasercast makes a really nice HARD lead bullet I like to use for plinking/target shooting.

There are SO MANY suppliers of aftermarket parts for 1911 style autos that listing them would take days. Best to let your fingers do the walking at Brownells and others for your custom grips.. or just ask your local gunsmith/shop about special ordering your grips.

Dr.Rob

Cyric13,

Dr Rob is telling you right. Factory (commercial) ammo is for rich guys. Autos eat'em up, especially if you want to practice enough to gain confidence. Even more if you want be proficient.

And by the way, maintaining that proficient edge ain't like riding a bike. You may think you remember from that last practice session a month ago, but your body plumb started to forget. Practice! Practice! Practice!

Which means reload, reload, reload. Which means ... get a Dillon! See Dillon Precision Products

For parts there are so many web sites and catalogs ... just not enough allowance at the end of the month.

Try shooters.com, if you haven't been there, and it'll get you started.

See if these links are still good:

Cip McCormick, Inc. or Blue Oaks 1911 Heaven or M-1911 Pistols

Good Luck with the Daly.

Regards,

Sensop

Back