New 1911 Owner Question...

Edster

Inactive
I'm new to this forum and new to the world of 1911's, specifically the Kimber Classic, but I'm not new to pistols as I have a Glock 17, SIG 226/229 and a USP 9mm.

My question is on the reassembly of the barrel bushing/recoil spring. I have a very hard time trying to get these pieces back together!! As soon as I think I can get the recoil spring into the slide, I can't seem to get the bushing to turn in time before the spring pops out. Are there any tips or tricks that any of you use? Are there any special tools that would make this chore easier? Or am I doing something wrong? I do eventually get my 1911 back together again, but to me it seems to take longer than my other pistols.

By the way, this is my first .45 and I love it. Felt recoil was not as harsh as I had expected and the Kimber seems to be pretty accurate. I've shot about 100 rounds with PMC ammo and no problems so far.

As far as maintenance, I have been using MP-7 for all my guns and then lubing it with "Pro Link", which actually is a bike lube that I use for my road bike (chains, brakes, etc.) It goes on wet and supposedly treats the metal as it dries. I asked the company about this (they have a web site/email) and they told me they have some police departments that use their lube on their pistols AND their bikes. Go figure!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice..

I just got my first 1911 too, and it just so happens that its a Kimber Classic, go figure. The tool you need should of come with your Kimber, the bushing wrench that is. When I first disassembled my gun the bushing shot out and hit me right between the eyes ! What you got to do is when your pushing the spring/bushing back in the gun, and your thumb is squeezing that sucker in, apply the bushing wrench and turn the bushing cover counter clockwise., this will cover the edge just enough so you can manipulate it with both hands and push it in the rest of the way.

Edster, go to the 1911 disassembly link then come & visit with the guys !http://www.netaphore.com/guns/1911_ad1_us.html
From,

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I have seen a bushing wrench somewhere that has a "wing" to one side that is supposed to help contain the bushing. I think King makes it. I just looked in the Brownells.com catalog. It is #487-403-001. The regular wrench works fine - just takes practice.

Back