New 1911 Compact but which one? I need help here.....

45automan

no not that kind:)
Anyway guys I want a new 1911. After buying Xmas gifts for everyone I want to treat myself. I was looking at a used Colt Commander. Nice gun.
I also looked at a Colt 1991 Compact. Also a nice gun.
I saw an Auto Ordnance Pit Bull,Not very nice,not really bad either.
I prefer steel to aluminum in a 1911.
Many compacts are aluminum right?I could have bought a Colt Light weight Commander but waited like a fool. When I went back it was gone:(
So thanks for any help guys.45automan

Any of the small Kimbers will fill the bill nicely. I have an alloy framed Ultra Carry and as a former Tool & Die Maker I can tell you that it's darn near a durable as steel.

I like my Detonics Combat Master; long out of production, but still available used. It's slightly smaller than a Colt Officers or Compact, but its steel frame makes it easier to shoot than the alloy-framed shorties.

Do not know your budget, but Kimber and Wilson would be my picks--have fired both brands. Have Kimber and saving for Wilson.

What Karl said! I also have a Kimber Stainless Compact with a steel-frame. It's my favorite handgun. You won't be disappointed.

RJ

Kimber Compact (non-stainless)

I've got the Kimber Compact in matte black (non-stainless). Great little pistol and probably the shortest barrel I'd want in a .45. No bushing but a fairly tight lock-up and from my experience fairly accurate. You won't be disappointed.

Kimber Compact! Mine is non-stainless steel, best feeling, most pointable pistol I have fired. In my hands it is as accurate as my Gold Match.
All the best,
Bill Daniel

Springfield

px9171.jpg

(I know I posted this to another thread but)
If you're looking compact 1911, get slim grips for it (AFS Slimtech or Chip Mcc) - the difference they make to concealability is amazing, and the smaller grip is if anything easier to hold.

IMHO the Kimber is a pretty good choice.

If you get one you may find yourself having to replace/modify the slide stop (mine and those of many others are too big and hit roundnose bullets causing premature slide lockback), and you should buy up a few of the guide rod end stop thingies (forgot the name) - Kimber has made the slide nonstandard in this but I HAVE had one get a little chewed up (gun still functioned perfectly but it became rought to install/remove).

Keep in mind this was over THOUSANDS of rounds.

Battler.

I would go with either the SA Compact Loaded and probably SS, or the Kimber Compact. I have both. You might have to have a reliability job on either. The SA Customer Service is better in my experience. The Kimber doesn't use a ramped barrel. SA uses ramped barrels on all their guns less than 5 inches unless they have recently changed. I think you would be happy with either. Jerry

Get a Les Baer Stinger. It's all steel and feels great in your hand! I had a stainless one and didn't like the finish so I sold it to another TFL member. Later this spring, I'm getting a blued one.

stingt.jpg

Ah - the Ranger! Yeah - its a FINE pistol. It isn't the only one either. There is the Cylinder and Slide ADVENTURER and the Tussy Custom... uh - I forgot the name. Both pistols are around 1600 IIRC. The Ranger being much less.
All three of these pistols have something in common.
They are all take offs of the Detonics. The Detonics was a pistol way ahead of it's time. Detonics went out of business because of the trend to the Wonder Nine at the time. Should Detonics be made today - it would have been very successful.
I love mine... The only one really close to the Detonics that I would consider it's equal would be the one made by Tussy Custom. Tussy knows 1911s with a Zen like inner sight. Should I spend the better part of 2 Large on a single handgun - it would be a Tussy.

A compact 1911, I'd say go with the P12 from ParaOrdnance.

My P12 has been a champ for the past 5 years. Reliable, accurate. I have never had a hiccup with the little P12 with the original barrel. I had a few break in hiccups with the BarSto 400 CorBon barrel, but that was within the first 75-100 rounds of 400 Corbon.

Okay it is a little heavy being the all steel model and the carbon frame doesn't like being carried in the summertime but those are the only complaints that I have of the P12.

With the availiblity of fullcapacity mags (I believe that the P12s are still coming through with one full cap mag and a coupon for two more at $50 a piece) I'd say that the P12 is a real winner. Even if the mags are only 10 rounders, I'd pick the P12 (most likely in duo tone or stainless with) over anything else out there in the 1911 market.

Derek

Back