Never had a lever action, what about this Rossi?

Strictly IMHO..........

Since the Rossi is a clone of the Winchester 1892, the action has two locking lugs that have to move upwards to lock the bolt before firing. Whereas, the Winchester 1866 and 1873 uses a simple toggle action. Like a Luger pistol (upside down). So then, if I was looking for a fast lever action. I'd look at an Italian clone Winchester 1873, 1866 or a Marlin 1894.

Course, if you have the $, there is nothing wrong with spending the big bucks for an original. Hopefully never, but who knows, if/when the old parts may go.

If I was thinking about mounting a scope.....
The Marlin is easier to do. Because of the solid top and side eject. Not to mention that it's already tapped.

If I was looking for parts (it happens)......
The Win clones......well, Uberti parts and modified parts are very popular.
Marlin.....the factory is still making firearms.

Course, gunsmithing is available for your Rossi and most any firearm.

If you like to DIY, you might want to take a quick look at this web sight......

http://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Marlin. Stay away from the new Rem-Marlins unless you can closely check them out in person.

Last edited:
If it's the one pictured, buy it. That seems reasonably priced. Looking for one in .38/.357 myself. That one looks good.

With a Rossi carbine “you pay your money and you takes your chances” the rifle you chose appears to be a Braztech/Taurus entry and if so they are pretty nice little Carbines. I have had several Rossi’s through the years and they all required work on the action....until I found the 16” .45 big loop carbine. This one is a keeper even though I did stone the action this Rossi actually worked first time every time, feeding everything I gave it. I would rather had 44-40 caliber but the .45 Colt will put shots into one hole at fifty yards from a rest. That’s a keeper.

.45 Colt ammo will be far easier to come by. No .44-40 Rossi anyway. And "in excellent condition" suggests it's a used rifle.
Like most stuff firearm related prices vary from place to place. Most online shops are showing R92's as out of stock though. MSRP is $629.00 for the blued 16".

I bought a Rossi built 38 Special revolver back in the 1980's. They built it as a Smith & Wesson copy from a patent lease agreement. Great quality for a discounted price is common to Rossi firearms. Buy this carbine and enjoy it!

Jack

I really like mine. Even though they can be a little rough around the edges they are well built and durable.

I have a Rossi in 44-40. It was owned by a Cowboy shooter who had the action smoothed out by a gunsmith. New ones will "wear in". Most of my 44WCF is loaded with black powder and lead bullets but because of the 92 locking block style action, I load Special Rossi +P loads, a JSP and 2400, approaching 44 Mag velocities.
The wood is an ugly black stained hardwood. But you can get walnut replacement furniture and have a pretty attractive piece.

Some had issues with canted barrels; mine does. I had to order it since the local shop didn't have one, so I didn't get to inspect it off the rack first. It really doesn't affect function, but if the hammer is down and I line up the sights looking over it, I can tell the hammer is not in line with the sights. It still shoots straight though.

They are not super refined in the fit and finish department, but the price reflects that. Mine has still functioned 100%, and they're very strong. Mine is chambered in .454 Casull; the toggle link actions can't handle that much pressure.

I forgot on my original reply, the bolt has a stupid added safety on top that is easily done away with (the safety boy’s will cringe at the thought) by replacing with a button currently available, also if you intend to shoot a lot replace the plastic follower with a metal aftermarket or one from a Win .44 or any caliber M 94.

The price seems right if the condition is as good as it looks. I wouldn't buy it because I'm no fan of 16" length barrels (imo, a 20" long barrel on a Winchester Model 94 carbine is plenty short enough to be plenty handy in any thick cover I've ever hunted-including some pretty dense cedar swamps in northern Michigan), but that's just my very subjective opinion.

Stopsigb32y-
I’m curious whether you move forward on the purchase and what you think of the rifle if you did. A range report would be appreciated.

I have a stainless Rossi 16” carbine in 44 Mag, I had to swap out the stock sights as they were 4” high @ 100. I put an XS Ghost Ring sight on it.
My only issue was that it was VERY stiff, I spent $$$ on a spring kit and several hours polishing/stoning mine in the raceways.
It is now slicker than my Win ‘94 in 30-30 and I would do it all over again seeing as it will print 3 shots touching off a front bag with the ghost ring. The ghost ring is so good, I spent the $$$ and put one on my 30-30 too.
Mine has no top safety, bought that way new, it does have half cock though.

I would buy one again no hesitation.

Cheers.

Back