Nevada Gun Laws

Rmstn1580

I would like to know about the Nevada gun laws. Waiting period while purchasing, how hard to get a CCW license, assault rifles, etc. My plan is to move into a border-state with good gun laws (if they exist) and spend every weekend on the border.

Waiting period while purchasing
None what so ever. My first handgun was bought on my 21st birthday on my lunch hour. Walked in, Brady check went through, walked out with a G17 and 200 rounds of ammo in the same bag.

how hard to get a CCW license
Take a class, qualify with that instructor on your weapons, fill out the paper work and write your check. It's a shall issue state: if you can own a gun you can get the permit. The permit comes in the mail. I'm going to fill out my papers next month. You can only carry a semi auto that you have qualified on, but no one ever takes the serial number. Revolvers just got more lax, if you qualify with one revolver, you can carry any other model you want.

assault rifles
No state restrictions. Federal laws apply. No magazine restrictions on rifles or handgun unless actively hunting.

Open carry is legal statewide. I've personally never seen it in Reno or Vegas, but smaller towns can get away with it. Plenty of open desert to hike or camp in, and I open carry anytime I'm out there.

To the extent of my limited knowledge, AZ and ID would be your best candidates for gunfriendly neighbors. UT isn't as friendly to our type, and CA hates our guts :(

None what so ever. My first handgun was bought on my 21st birthday on my lunch hour. Walked in, Brady check went through, walked out with a G17 and 200 rounds of ammo in the same bag.
Reading though the Las Vegas Sheriff's dept site I see that they require registration of pistols. Is that state wide or just a 'Lost Wages' law?

Purchases

There is about as much hassle buying a gun in Nevada as ordering the number 4 extra value meal at McDonalds.

Don't walk to Nevada, RUN!!!!!

sholling said:
Reading though the Las Vegas Sheriff's dept site I see that they require registration of pistols. Is that state wide or just a 'Lost Wages' law?

It's a Clark County Ordnance which applies in Las Vegas and the unincorporated areas of the county.

Only in Clark County... That entire county could sink into the desert and get covered in Area 51 waste for all I care :mad: You asked about Nevada gun laws, and Clark County doesn't count as Nevada in my book. :cool:

Back