Neighbor's rifle - what's he got?

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Neighbor just brought a rifle over ....

"Mauser Modelo Argentino 1891
Deutsche Waffen - Und Munitionsfabriken
Berlin"

... on the left side of receiver. No caliber designation anywhere that I can see.

S/N = U9XXX

What's he got?

Any idea when it was made?

And where was this made? This An Argentina Mauser under license by Berlin .... ?

labgrade:
From what you describe you have an Argentine Mauser. It it looks like this the following will apply.

MILITARY WEAPONS VOL I
ARGENTINA MAUSER:
Other Names: Turkish Mauser (1890)
Introduced: M1891:
Mfg: Waffenfabrik AG
Cal: 7.65mm
Action: Bolt
Length: 48.6"
Bbl Length: 29.1"
Mag: 5 Rnd. Sngl. Clm. Bx.
Sights:
Front: Barleycorn
Rear: Tangent Leaf
M/Velocity 2755 f.p.s. W/Spitzer-pointed Ball
Wgt: 8.58lb.
Bore Diameter: .301
Groove Diameter: .311"
Direction of Twist: Right
Rate of Twist 9.8

Argentine Mauser 1891:
This is the first Mauser magazine rifle, having the protruding box single line magazine found in the Belgian 1889 and the Turkish 1890. Made in Germany The Argentine Mauser is little more that the Turkish Mauser Model of 1890 with some very small modifications. There were minor changes to the bolt and the extractor was straightened. Apart from this they were virtually identical. Refer to Turkish Mauser for Further information.

Argentine Mauser 1909:
Made in Germany (principally by DWM) for Argentina and since WWII in Argentine government plant. This is essentially the German Service GEW. (rifle)98 but made in 7.65mm. Sights
were graduated to conform to the ballistics of the Spitzer pointed bullet adopted in 1909

Differences from the M1891:

Length: 49"
Mag. 5rmd Staggered Bx.
Weight: 9.2lb

Great data Harley.

My Gun Parts catalog shows both rifle and carbine in 91 Argentine. No bbl lengths shown but handguard for rifle is 7 3/4" and carbine is 4 7/8.

Respectfully........Sam

Great info & thanks.

Will have to go grab the rifle for some more paticulars, but it does appear to have a single-stack, "drop-down" magazine. Looks to have a cam screw up front of the magazine which would allow one to remove same ... ? Memory - sorry.

I know virtually nothing about military-type rifles/calibers ('cept for some of the obvious; 5.56, 7.62 NATO, etc. .... If my neighbor was to get some ammo for this, would he ask for 7.65 Argentine? Or is there a "X 54 - type" designation?

Thanks again for the info.

BTW, this rifle looks mint (didn't look in the bore) outside - perhaps 99%. Safe to say my bud should have a 'smith take a look before firing?

The European term would be 7.65x54 (sometimes 7.65x53), but anyone in the business should know it as 7.65 Argentine. The military ammo all has corrosive primers. Sporting ammo is made by Norma (and maybe others) but is expensive.

The magazine is removable for cleaning, but is not detachable in the sense that it can be kept loaded off the rifle. The rifle is loaded with "stripper clips" or loose ammo.

Since Argentina did not fight many wars, a lot of those rifles are essentially brand new. Many people will advise having a gunsmith check any rifle before firing, and that is good advice, but I doubt there is anything wrong with the rifle and I would probably shoot it.

Jim

If you go to www.jldenter.com, you'll find pics of the enginerr's carbine, cavalry carbine and infantry rifle. I don't know if they converted my 1909 to 30-06, or was made for that round, but it is one of my jewels.

Back