NEF 220 Swift ?

Nestor Rivera

Just wondering if it would be possible to rechamber the NEF Handi Rifle from the 223 or 22hornet to 220 Swift. I have always wanted a 220 Swift but the cost is just a bit high on most of the guns made for it.

Nestor, this is doable. The .220 Swift chamber is larger and longer than the .223's so it would be a relatively easy rechambering. I'd be happy to do it for you. E-mail me if you like and we'll discuss it. George

Yes. For example, the 220 Swift SAAMI max is 53,000 CUP while the 270 Win, another caliber they offer in this rifle, is 54,000. Most loading data for the .220 Swift runs around 51,000 and some for the .223 will reach that level. You would of course, as with developing any load, approach maximum loads with caution. George

Ive been shooting the .220 I bought in 1969 from Ruger a N0. 1 and have really had a great time with it. It is really sensitive to re-loading and you can dial it right in. VERY VERY responsive. Let Stringer do it and youll be having a good time soon. Like crows way off, and I mean way off!

Protoolman, according to Shilen a 1-14" twist is recommended for bullet weights up to 55gr. I'm not sure what the twist is on the NEF barrels. A slower, say 1-12" twist might require using a heavier bullet to stablize. Good question. George

what sort of accuracy is possible with a NEF
Handi Rifle? what do you all think its capable of in 220 Swift? I too always wanted a 220 Swift but tryin to convince the wife that I need another rifle will take another year..hehe Thanks Cuz

oops forgot 1 other thing, which 22 caliber offered in the Handi Rifle would be the best option for doing this? i.e. twist rate, work required to rechamber etc.

I have done some analysis on how strong my Handi rifle is. I have had allot of help and critisim on rec.guns and rec. crafts.metalworking and from people I know. A long information dump of jr. high algrbra and freshman calculus is available. I am at cmagnuson@home.com. It turns out the rifle is very strong but in 45/70, but even the trapdoor loads are brutal.

Cuz, at this link http://www.digiweb.com/dputzolu/VIIIB6.html you will find a very simple formula for determining the correct twist rate for any given bullet. The Greenhill Formula. To give you an example of the accuracy a NEF barrel is capable of, I rebarreled a Marlin 336 in 25/35 Ackley Improved last year and the customer suppliled an "off the rack" NEF barrel for the job. He reported 1/2" groups at 50 and a hair over MOA at 100 using open sights. Not bad from an old lever gun. 90 times out of 100 the potential for accuracy is in any barrel that is manufactured to factory specs. I'm not sure but I think the only .22 cal bbls they offer is the hornet and the .223. The work would be the same on either. I would probably want to go with the .223 offering. The twist rate would probably be much closer to what was needed. George

George, I've seen them listed in 22-250. I'd get the twist rate of Nestors barrel before I did a thing. The 220 Swift needs to have a
1:14 twist rate to do it's thing with the 50 and 55 grain bullets it was intended for.
With the faster 1:12 and 1:10 and even faster twist barrels you will end up shooting heavy bullets or reducing velocity on the lighter bullets. If his .223 is a 1:14 go for it!
IMHO Hank

what would the cost be to do something like this? and where are you located George?
Thanks for you help, Cuz

Back