need your help: CZ97 Vs. Kimber Custom .45ACP

a-bolt

Im in a time pinch and a dilema folks.

I want a replacement for my Charles Daley 1911A1 as it jams all the damn time. Its certified P.O.S.

There is a local sale on the CZ97 in .45ACP. Its like the CZ75B wich I have shot and liked.

I had been planning to get a $700-$800 Kimber Custom Stainless 1911 but now this CZ is going for ~$500 - thats a big diference to me in price.

The CZ...
http://www.turners.com/engage/displ...&d1=08&d2=14&img=ads/03-08-01/czmodel9745.gif

My question is this: Is the CZ97 a) a good gun overall, b) highly reliable c) a good value at $500?

Any advice is appreciated.

Abolt

$500 is the best price you'll find in CA. I've seen the CZ97b go for $600+ elsewhere.

$700-$800 for the Kimber is a crime. Expect to end up paying over $800 for the stainless if your shopping at Turners.

The new Kimbers in CA all have trigger safeties, you will see them advertised as "Kimber II's". If you want a 1911 without the trigger safety I would start looking at the Springfields.

As for which is the better gun, well, that depends on what you want. I am really impressed with CZ's line of products and everyone seems happy with their 97b, however, if it came down to owning one fullsize .45 many (including myself) would opt for a 1911.

ok, i was write to post this question. thanks for the input folks. it seems like a good deal on the CZ97 and i was not aware that kimbers in CA now have a BS trigger safety.

That simplifies my purchase leaning a lot -> toward the CZ.

Any more feed back is welcome on this topic. Thanks again.

a-bolt - I believe the CZ in the picture is a 97B. I'm not sure there ever was a CZ-97 (without the FP block safety), but not positive. So the one for sale is the one you have tested. And that's a very good price for it. I have one and like it a lot. It's very accurate.

I'll move this over to the Semiauto forum...

Sorry - but this is wrong.

The new Kimbers in CA all have trigger safeties, you will see them advertised as "Kimber II's". If you want a 1911 without the trigger safety I would start looking at
the Springfields.

The new Kimber IIs have a firing pin safety that operates off the grip safety. In effect, it does what the 80 series Colt safety does, but has nothing to do with the trigger. Kimber has emphasized that everywhere - I guess to assure as that the trigger pull will not be affected.

Kevin

The CZ97 a great gun overall, accurate highly reliable. For a brand new gun $500 is a very good price. Buy one and you won't be sorry.

I've owned the Kimber, but recomend the CZ. I think the CZ is twice the pistol for a lot less money. JohnH

My own observations in regard to CZ-97B, which I have for a bit less than a year. It's just perfect .45. I think its locking system is mechanically stronger by design than Kimber. It does not require any tuneups, ramp polishing, etc. to make it feed reliably. In regard to accuracy - I heard a lot of good things about Kimbers. CZ-97B is pretty accurate too. Don't know if it outshoots Kimber, but CZ seems to be better shooter than I'm. And it does not have this really silly grip safety of 1911...

a-bolt,

I'll join most of the others here in praising the CZ-97B. I've only had mine for a month or so but I already know it's a keeper. I can easily shoot the 97 better than my HK USP and Beretta Cougar both in .45. The only thing I have that comes close is my CZ-75B in 9mm.

I can highly recommend the 97.

Joe

Gentlemen,

All these comments are so good and informative. I especially like the knowledgable comparisons. I go tommorow to talk to the store manager about the CZ.

Its just such a relief to hear so many good comments - it does my nerves good. I cant tell you the heartbreak and disapointment of the Charles Daley sh*t gun I bought. I just dont want another mistake but I do love the .45ACP and want another one, you know?

Easy to reload, 11.43mm BIG HOLES and lots of bullet mass. I love it. Thanks again, gents.

humm, seems to me you could send the CD to a good gunsmith and have it fixed for a third (at most) the cost of a CZ97.

What do you want it to do?

I have both, a Kimber Custom Target and a CZ97B.
CZ is well made, tight, reliable and fairly accurate. If you want to put all the bullets in one hole at 15 to 25 yds, though, I would go with the Kimber. CZ is more of a "combat accurate" (my term) gun, while the Kimber is more a "target accurate" gun. CZ feels better in the hand, but trigger is not for target use.
HTH Walt

I negelected to make explicit that I am in Kalifornia where there are new laws that say 1911 guns are unsafe and therefore cant be sold in the 1911A1 configuration. Only if they have a series 80 safety are they acceptable. Im not keen of that.

I want a gun, that bar none, will shoot reliably time after time. The charles daley looked like a good deal but range trial proved otherwise. Its jam prone. I may sell it or I may get it smithed by Bolsa Gunsmithing in Orange County.

As for sending it to Charles Daley I already have. No change whatever in its reliability. Disappointing. They want another crack at it but Ive had no time to make the package up and send it. It should have, by, G*D worked out of the box. nuff history on that i guess.

I dont need a tackdriver pistol but I appreciate good accuracy second or equal to reliable feeding.

ABOLT

WESTSHOOT2, CZ-97B does not have grip safety, but
you can still carry it cocked and locked, I mean when it's
cocked, you can move safety lever into "ON" position.
By the way, you can also engage safety when the slide
is locked all the way back. CZ-75B doesn't have this feature.

I just don't like grip safeties, don't know why.
My personal problem, I guess...

Back