I am looking at my first 1911 model pistol. I want a high cap in 45. I will be
using this for CCW, back up for the 12 gauge at home and having a good
time at the range. I have looked at several models and have came down to
the Kimber Polymer Target or Para Ordnance P-14 Limited. I like the way
each feel in my hand and being a large man CCW will not be a problem. I am
leaning towards the Para due to the many features you get for your money in
the Limited package, the grip can be modified and the high cap mags can be
found more readily and cheaper. The Kimber on the other hand was very nice
and I can't get it out of my head. The high caps can still be had from Kimber.
I would very much like opinions on these models from those that own or shot
them. I have went through the archives and gained a lot of info, but still can't
decide. Thank you for taking the time, Jim.

Buy the Para, but hold back some bucks for a GOOD gunsmith to tune it (if needed).

IMHO just buy a single-stack Kimber, STI, Les Baer, Rock River Arms..........

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

The Bul M5 is also a choice. The Bul M5 and Kimber Polymer use the same frame.

The Bul M5 is considerably less expensive.
If not better in quality.

As far as I know, magazines for the Kimber Polymer work in the Bul M5.

If you change the magazine release out on the Bul M5, you can also use Para Ordnance magazines.
http://www.bultransmark.com/products/government.htm

mq1,
I may help you get that Kimber out of your head. I just heard from a guy who runs the public safety shooting range and gun rental shop that Kimber is discontinuing the polymer guns. He said that they were having too many problems, and the reason he was discussing it with them was that he has had so many problems with the ones he rented.
On the other hand, I just bought a Kimber Classic Stainless and couldn't be happier. The gun range guy is also a big Kimber buff.
I ruled out high-cap .45's when I noticed that the request-for-bid the FBI sent out before settling on the Springfield TRP Pro for their elite hostage rescue team, specifically specified no double-stack mags. I figure they have a good reason.

look int the Springfield Trophy Match. Great gun. With respect to accuracy, it puts my Kimber Gold match to shame with any brand or configuration of ammo.

I have a Para that has always performed very well. It is bit heavy for daily carry though, throw an extra loaded mag into the mix and I practically work up a sweat walking around the room!!

If you have made your mind up to have a hi-cap .45, you might look at the Glock-21.

If you definitely want a 1911, you might reconsider the easier to carry single stacks.

If you actually meant what you posted, as I suspect, I think you will be happy with the Para, but you should definitely plan on having the weapon "smithed" just to make sure that it will be perfectly reliably with your chosen ammo.

good Luck.

------------------
-Essayons

First let me say thanks to all. I would like to know why those that recommend
going with the single stack instead of the high caps do so? Is it the weight and
the extra bulk for CCW? On the other hand I have to admit while looking at
different models I did almost purchase a Kimber Goldmatch, it did feel very
good and is another issue that has me confused. I can't afford the STI's and
the customs at this time. I have wanted a 1911 since the day I shot one for
the first time. Had always been a firm believer in the revolver. The only Springfield that I have had an opportunity to look at was the loaded. I am
going to stick with a 1911, have already thought about the Sigs, Glocks and
HK's. Thanks again, Jim.

Buy a single stack & learn how to hit what you are aiming at;develop confidence in yourself and your weapon and I would bet you won't miss the extra rounds. I too am a big Springfield fan in this price range;I will have to admit that the early Kimbers are some of the finest 1911's out there,but some of the latest offerings from them and particularly the customer service issue with which I have personal (bad) experience just flat has me concerned...

Go with the single stack and you will never wonder where to find replacement mags. If 8 rounds of .45 don't solve your problem...

Why the single stack?

For some it is the width of the frame: the girth feels wrong; the reach to trigger feels wrong; and a thinner profile is easier to conceal.

For others it is the magazine itself: single stack magazines are considered more reliable; they are easier to manipulate while reloading; and thinner magazines conceal better.

I know that everyone is diffent, so the decisions must be made on a personal level.

Also, if any knows of a street civilian defense situation where more than 15 rounds was used, please let me know.

Erik

Mq1,

I recommend the Kimber Custom/Classic in stainless with two ten round magazines (one in the pistol and one carried in the holster's "front pouch"). Here's why:

> The Kimber (all "bashing threads" notwithstanding) is VERY reliable, durable and accurate. After an approximately 500 round break-in, I have had zero jams/failures to fire in the next 2000+ rounds. During the break-in period, I experienced a 1 to 2 percent jam rate. These statistics include several types of major "factory" 230 grain FMJ and Federal Hydra-Shok loads.

> The durability of the all-stainless full-sized 1911A1 is excellent; with little (if any) work other than routine maintenance, the Kimber will probably "outlive" you.

> Out-of-the-box accuracy is outstanding; I doubt that there are many individuals who can "outshoot" this weapon, particularly in a tactical situation.

> The price is right; under $700 for the pistol and holster. In addition, .45 ACP ammunition is plentiful and inexpensive, as are ways to customize the pistol, should you elect to do so.

> Finally, Wilson and/or McCormick 10 round magazines have both proven to be excellent in the Kimber. Wilson certainly is the "standard or comparison", although McCormick is somewhat better for concealed carry. In my opinion, there is no practical requirement for "double stacking" a .45 ACP; realistically, how many times will any of us -- particularly non-LEOs -- need more than 20 (21, with a round chambered) shots to stop a "real world" threat?

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited January 16, 2000).]

Thanks everyone for taking the time. I spend most of my time over at AR15.COM but it has been down for almost a week. Came across this
site and have been pleased. I am still undecided and appreciate any
additional feedback. Going to take the wife to a few gun shops tomorrow
and compare the single stacks and doubles again, weight, feel, etc...
Also looking for something for her, maybe a SW 642, don't know but the
GP100 is a little big for her.
Rosco, I also posted a message on the Para Ordnance site and got a
response from Ted? from Para. He said that they were going to introduce
a single stack LDA at the show. Could be interesting but I want a single
action 1911. Thanks again, Jim

Hello. Like many here, I'd just add that the single-stack 1911, in my opinion, is the way to go for magazine availability and 7 or 8 shots of .45acp should handle practically any defensive situation. Furthermore, some of the high cap 1911s have enough difference in their frames that standard 1911 holsters won't work, ie the Kimber double-stack. As to which 1911, I've had fine luck with both Springfields and Kimbers. Out of the box, my Kimber Custom Classic is a tad more intrinsically accurate than either of the Springfields I've owned and has been quite reliable. That said, the Springfield's accuracy was plenty good. I prefer the "looks" of the Springfield to the Kimber, but that's subjective. If you want a lightweight 1911, Springfield does or did offer a lightweight Gov't Model, which is just a Gov't slide on a tough aluminum alloy frame. I've got one of these and it's great for concealed carry. Recoil is more noticable, but not bad by any means. The alloy and coating are tough as the feed ramp's held up with no gouging, etc in several thousand rounds of handloads and high performance jhps. Best.

The guys who like hi-cap 1911s I've seen shoot IPSC. They maintain that it is realistic gunfighting training. But who goes around with a special holster rig with four extra magazines sticking out and a huge compensated 1911 with a holosight? They also tend to go with smaller calibers to jam as many rounds into a magazine as they can. Current flavor of the month is 38 Super Comp, which is a rimless 38 Super. My friend can cram 19 rounds of this into his flush fitting mag.

I had a Para P16-40 Limited but I sold it and went back to my Colt Commanders and Gummints. The para just didn't feel like a Colt.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Back