Need to vacuum carpet for indoor practice?

wsblumb

Inactive
I am using a 22 lr revolver for indoor in my basement. Target is built well. Ive shot it a couple times and am wondering if I should vacuum the carpet when im done shooting for the day. Is any residue going on the carpet even though I cant see any? Should I go to an outdoor range instead?

Shoot outdoors

You should vacuum and wipe down all hard surfaces with a soapy rag and bucket.

Yes, there is going to be a small amount of lead residue that you can’t see and it will build up the more you shoot indoors.

You can google something like “clean up indoor range” and see what a can of worms it is.

Folks will point out that occasional shooting isn’t an issue, the question no one can answer is “at what point does it become an issue?”

Inhaled lead will be the biggest danger, as will be eating food with hands that have touched a surface with lead residue. Greatest threat may be to unborn children or kids because lead messes with their brain development.

All in all, an air pistol is the way to go for shooting indoors.

I would be more concerned with proper ventilation than just vacuuming the carpet. Vacuuming may create as much airborne lead as it reduces.

"...any residue going on the carpet..." Yep. There's powder and primer residue. However, like buck460XVR says, proper ventilation is far more important. Most municipalities will not allow you to vent what amounts to 'range air' directly outside.
It takes a great deal of exposure to lead contamination to cause lead poisoning. Less for young kids than us big kids though.
And if there are firearm discharge ordinances where you are, you're guilty of violating them. Even in your basement. The assorted local ordinances will likely be on your municipality's web site.

wsblumb said:
I am using a 22 lr revolver for indoor in my basement. Target is built well. Ive shot it a couple times and am wondering if I should vacuum the carpet when im done shooting for the day. Is any residue going on the carpet even though I cant see any? Should I go to an outdoor range instead?
As already commented, you are depositing fine lead dust all over your basement. Vacuuming is about the worst thing you can do, because the lead dust is fine enough that it will probably pass through the vacuum bag and just be blown all around the room. As Ricekila mentioned, if you must vacuum, you need a HEPA vacuum -- and they aren't on sale at Walmart.

Best advice has already been given -- don't shoot in your basement. I have a crawlspace that would make a dandy shooting lane, but I resist the urge to use it that way just because of the lead problem. I'll use it for air guns, but not for firearms.

Yes, a carpet is unsuitable for a range for the reasons given. I would look into CB caps or an air gun.

SIGSHR said:
Yes, a carpet is unsuitable for a range for the reasons given. I would look into CB caps or an air gun.
CB caps are .22 cartidges with a primer but no powder charge. Much of the lead discharged when shooting comes from the priming compound, so IMHO CB caps are no better for the basement than .22 Shorts.

The real danger with lead is lead oxide. That whitish crust you see on old lead bullets is far more dangerous than metallic lead. Lead oxide used in paint is why children eating old peeling paint get brain damage. The problem is that where you have lead you will also have lead oxide. This is particularly true for lead dust.

Here is a more urgent danger.
There is unburned powder spitting out of your pistol with every shot. It's settling in your carpet. Once enough of it is there, any spark will set of a fire that is very difficult to extinguish. I have seen this happen on shooting ranges with concrete floors that were not swept regularly.

Airguns both pellet (for accuracy) or BB for faster action.
Airsoft if your pistol is one of the more "mainstream" models where metal replicas are available. Glock 17,19, Sig P226 and P320, Beretta 92 series, S&W M&P series, 1911. These are safer than steel BB's for drawing and shooting practice. But you can still shoot yer eye out!

But for ultimate realism, dry fire with your real firearm if you safety check safety check safety check. And if it won't damage the firearm. Laserlyte makes laser inserts into the muzzle and detection units that either ring, light up, or jump a little when you score a hit.

And by the way, with airsoft you can purchase an adapter cap and fill up with propane for cheap propellant. Forget "green gas".

Bill DeShivs said:
Here is a more urgent danger.
There is unburned powder spitting out of your pistol with every shot. It's settling in your carpet. Once enough of it is there, any spark will set of a fire that is very difficult to extinguish. I have seen this happen on shooting ranges with concrete floors that were not swept regularly.
That's a good point, and it has happened at the indoor range where I shoot. They now wash it down with a hose on a regular basis to flush away the accumulated powder residue.

I didn't even think about that. Too focused on the lead issue.

The biggest thing about using air guns is they are cheaper to shoot.
The back stop can be much larger since the lower power of the air guns.
You do not need a magnum air gun, you are just target shooting.
Many of the air gun makers have co2 replicas of just about any handgun made.
Also the single stroke pneumatics are very consistent from shot to shot.

Your house doesn't have an heating or air conditioning system....I hope.

Otherwise I fear you might not know how air intake happens (ie, your systems breathes the air in your house). This means lead. Everywhere in your house.

wild cat mccane said:
Your house doesn't have an heating or air conditioning system....I hope.

Otherwise I fear you might not know how air intake happens (ie, your systems breathes the air in your house). This means lead. Everywhere in your house.
Not necessarily, but that's certainly something to consider.

First, not all heating systems are forced air. Many are hot water (or electric!) baseboard, so the heating system doesn't draw and/or circulate any air from the basement.

Even with forced air heating and/or air conditioning, the system may not include the basement in the conditioned space envelope. When I lived in a condo back in the 1980s, the system used ducted returns, so even though the furnace was in the basement, the ventilation did take any air from the basement. The return air inlet was a large grille in the wall of a short corridor on the main floor.

But ... if the house (or condo, or apartment) has a ventilation system that has air returns in the basement, of if the furnace has a free return inlet in the basement, then indeed the system will spread the lead dust throughout the house. Not a happy thought.

Please note the air guns mentioned are NOT the "BB" type, but the
precision air gun. A run of the mill air pistol can keep 10 shots on a dime at
33 feet.

Please note the air guns mentioned are NOT the "BB" type, but the
precision air gun. A run of the mill air pistol can keep 10 shots on a dime at
33 feet.

Not with this run of the mill shooter behind it. :)

Back